“Loved the food, a little too noisy for a french restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mon Ami Gabi - Reston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 130 restaurants in Reston
Cuisines: French
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Library Street
Washington
“Loved the food, a little too noisy for a french restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Was suggested this place for our anniversary and got seated promptly at our reservation time even though the place was packed. I am sure the volume of people had to do with the location of a busy mall and offices/ hotels around on a Friday evening. Going with a French restaurant servings in mind, ordered a cheese platter, soup and main entrée and was shocked to see the quantity of food- could have totally skipped one of the items.

Pros- Great food, great flavors and options. Loved the vegetable soup and the entrée of vegetables (each grilled with amazing flavors) on a bed of quinoa.
Staff was courteous and good service in general.

Cons- too packed and noisy. Glad that kids were allowed as I would like to take my kids to similar places in the future. However the noise was more because of the number of seats packed in the little spaces to fit more patrons.
Cheese platter was good but the pairing wasn't obvious, all cheeses (in a 3 cheese platter) were dumped together with one fruit compote and nut/ cranberry bread. Could have done a better job pairing individual cheeses with its pairings of sauces, dips or breads/ fruits. Cheese was slightly dry too.

Ordered a virgin mojito that tasted like soda water but the wait staff switched with some other option without any hesitation

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Asheville, North Carolina
“Absolutely Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I hadn't been here in awhile, and I'd forgotten how good this place is. Though it's known for steaks, I chose something totally different. I started with the frisee, kale, and warm bacon salad--complete with a poached egg; if I weren't too hungry, this almost could have been dinner because it was quite large. Better yet, it was delicious--one of the best salads I'd ever had. Dinner was the caramelized scallops with creamed pea sauce and carrots and snow peas. Added to this was a side of sauteed mushrooms. I was in heaven. My friend had the vegetable soup--way out of the ordinary. Her dinner was the grilled salmon salad. We had a full baguette of fresh bread brought to the table as well. The weather was perfect, so we were able to eat outside. The entire meal was made all the better by our waiter who was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. A great experience ...

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Steak au Poivre!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My go-to place for steak when I get the craving. Excellent fries - and kids meals that are scarfed down quickly. Very nice interior - much like a French Bistro and very lively bar scene most nights. The Trout Almondine is also wonderful but the steak is best. They also have a great breakfast bar attached but its name escapes me.

Visited April 2013
Virginia
“Delicious meal and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate at Mon Ami Gabi around 7:30pm on a Thursday. Our wait staff was very pleasant, efficient, and courteous. I had the caramelized sea scallops with pea puree, spring veggies, bacon and my husband had the steak classique. My scallops were quite good--tender--and the steak was cooked to my husband's specifications. We also had dessert--I went with the warm chocolate tart with salted caramel ice cream. It was quite good--not overly sweet at all. Husband had the bananas foster crepes, which were good but not quite as good as he was hoping it would be. Overall very happy with our experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reston
“Great food and a fair price with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Back again and this time I tried the Steak Classic, a real bargain I think for $21.95 and the fries are great!!!! Had a wonderful Frisee Salad before hand topped off with a nice Pinot Blanc and it was a delightful meal. The service was outstanding. If you care about noise request to be away from the bar noise, otherwise I highly recommend!

• Visited March 2013