“Decent overall” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Decent overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We'll start with the positives: We had a quick trip to the area this past weekend. This hotel has a great location, about 20-25 min. drive into DC and close to Tyson's Corner. It is literally within the Reston Town Center complex and therefore within a 1-2 block walk of numerous Lettuce Entertain You chain restaurants and fun bars, as well as great retail shops (JCrew, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn) and a movie theater. Hotel had a decent restaurant (only had breakfast there) and the hotel's parking garage was complimentary (elevator not attached to the hotel, FYI). A short distance away, there is another shopping complex with Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and several other stores, not to mention a top notch french country cafe-Le Madeleine's.

Easy checking in and out, with convenient airline boarding pass print out kiosk. Staff very friendly/professional. Beds divine. Wake up call was a real person, and delivered punctually.

A few observations:

(1) We were assigned to a room that was supposed to be nonsmoking, but it was clear that someone had smoked in there at some point. It seemed this might have been a smoking room at one time. We had a short stay and tight schedule- not much time to mess around with moving rooms or arguing with the front desk, but this was a big turnoff that we would have addressed had we had the time and energy. It is not a nonsmoking room if it still SMELLS like a smoking room.

(2) Housekeeping needs some improvement. In the hall outside of our room, we noticed a used Q-tip left on the carpet. In the 48 hours of our stay, no one cleaned this up, even though we had seen numerous housekeeping carts in this very spot.

Additionally, we were late heading out one day and noticed on return that the room had yet to be cleaned. We were fine with the unmade bed but needed new towels, and called down to the front desk. Never got them. My husband ended up grabbing a few towels from a housekeeping cart near the room after about 30 minutes. Quite certain that if I were there even now, the towels would not arrive.

In all, a decent place, but a few kinks to be worked out. Would recommend due to the very convenient and accessible location and overally decent service and amenities.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maroongirl90

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I have been staying at Hyatt in Reston, VA regularly for a day or two every couple of months primarily for business purposes and haven't been disappointed. Hyatt rules when it comes to consistency, comfort and luxury. The check in /check out is very fast and if you're used to automated check in /check out, it's even faster and very convenient. The restaurant is excellent where I often enjoy amazing food and relaxing time at the bar. The location of the hotel is great as you can pretty much walk around any where including some really amazing restaurants near by. So far I've not been disappointed!

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Bilthoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

One of the best hotels in the area.
Great rooms and suites.
various services, excellent staff.
A great place to do business

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

This was my second visit to the Hyatt Regency. My husband and I were attending a conference and stayed for two nights. The hotel is clean, relaxing, warm and inviting. The decor is contemporary. The rooms are nice and the beds are very comfortable. The exercise room is very nice with lots of equipment. This hotel is close to everything in the Reston Square. There are many surrounding restaurants to choose from within walking distance. The customer service at the hotel is very good.

One thing I didn't like was the extra charge for a small refrigerator in your room. There are two restaurants located in the lobby of the hotel. Panera Bread is very nice with good sandwiches, soups, and salads (open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) at reasonable prices. The Market Street restaurant is expensive and the bar located in the restaurant allows smoking. The smoking can really bother you if you're not a smoker. All the restaurants in this area are fairly expensive. An excellent Thai/Chinese restaurant within walking distance from the hotel is the Big Bowl. We ate there twice and the service and food were excellent.

The other time I stayed at this hotel was for business. I stayed for five nights in the summer of 2008. During check-in, the front desk remembered me mentioning my birthday was in a few days. One day after attending my training class, I returned to my room with a bottle of champagne on ice, chocolate covered strawberrries, and a card wishing me happy birthday!

The best time to experience this hotel is in the spring/summer. The Reston Square comes alive with people, activities, and a flowing water fountain.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I booked the Hyatt Regency Reston on priceline.com for $59.00/night...what a steal! This hotel is easily a 4 to a 4.5 star Hyatt. The rooms are beautifully maintained...the overall atmosphere and ambiance is impeccable.

While my boyfriend and I only stayed one night, it was definitely one of the best hotels we've frequented in the DC area. We enjoyed the fact that our spacious corner room was away from the elevators and offered a very comfortable king-sized bed.

Well worth a visit and the location is perfect as its right in the heart of Reston. Great shops, restaurants and Dulles airport are all nearby.

Can't wait to visit in the future!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Detroit, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I was excited for my trip to Reston - especially to be able to stay at a Hyatt My previous Hyatt stays were luxurious and the rooms impressive.
I would classify this hotel the same as a full service older Marriott. Carpeting peeling, stains on bathroom ceiling, dents/paint missing off of the furniture. I guess my expectations were too high. I did get room service one night and my rare hamburger arrived cooked to a char. The salad that I also ordered was just so-so.
The location of this hotel can't be beat! Easy to get around with retail within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Okinawa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

I'm glad some other reviewers had a good experience at this hotel, but my husband and I found the service to be poor, although the room was lovely and very comfortable. Our booking included breakfast and access to the gym, but the clerk either did not see that aspect of our booking or chose to ignore it as we had to 'convince' her of what our booking included. After getting our names and swiping the card (which was all she wanted to do), and finally acknowledging our other perks, we had to ask "Where is the gym? What are the hours? (I know it's in the room guide, but still, this was a pricey Hyatt Regency booking here). Do we need coupons or vouchers for breakfast? Yes? Well, where are they???" I came here from Japan where the level of service is so high you never have to ask those questions. And for 265$ a night in crappy Reston? I shouldn't have had to ask. She finally handed over the coupons for breakfast.

At b-fast next morning, we handed over the coupon and were told "the buffet is over there." While we were eating, a staffer comes to our table and says, "we have to charge you for those scrambled eggs. They are not included in your breakfast." The fine print on the coupon said our breakfast is "continental," (no further explanation) which according to the staffer meant "no hot food." The staffer agreed not to charge us that time. So we made due with their crappy continental breakfast.

Then we needed to extend our stay (this was not a vacation for us). My husband went to the front desk, and the clerk said they were booked solid. We checked online and there were plenty of openings and we extended our stay. This is not the clerk's fault, but Hyatt management's fault. If someone is standing inside the hotel speaking to the clerk, then that person should get the definitive word on whether or not a room can be booked.

Hyatt needs to shape up.

• Liked — The large room, comfy bed, nice bathroom, proximity to bars and restaurants
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hikari
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reston
Westin Reston Heights
Hyatt House Herndon
#5 of 20 in Herndon
4.5 of 5 stars 161 reviews
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!