“Very nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
MOntevideo
“Very nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Very nice hotel, clean and neat. Excellent service. The fitness area, swimming pool and sauna are nice. Excellent restaurant and pub from the lobby. I had problems accesing wireless Internet, which is not free. The business center is rather expensive too. The city of Reston however is a hard to define. Everything is so new and clean, no old people, no children, no trees. Very nice restaurants and stores. Looks very much like a movie set. It reminded me of the Truman Show.

• Liked — Nice place, very good service
  • Disliked — internet access and business center
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed here once this year and once last year, both times on a weekend. We love this hotel: in very good condition, huge king-sized beds, clean, nicely-decorated rooms, professional staff. It's convenient to Dulles Airport, Reston Town Center, and right on the busline to the Metro in West Falls Church. Reston Town Center is an open-air plaza with shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

• Liked — Newness-modernness of the hotel
  • Disliked — They charge you $5 for those little bottles of water in the room!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

The hotel staff was very accommodating while I was traveling with a family group. The hotel allowed us to stay in our room until 5 pm without charge even though the checkout time was normally at noon.

There is no longer a charge to use the pool, spa or exercise equipment. However, the pool is only 3-1/2 feet high so swimming laps was difficult.

Also, we were able to use our laptop in the room by using another site other than the Hyatt to log onto.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — pool was heated to only 78 degrees
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

Just returned from a weekend visit to Reston, Virginia and stayed at the Hyatt in Reston. All in all it was and excellent experience. First of all the price, during the weekend this hotel is down right cheap, with all rooms under $200, including suites (at least for the weekend I checked in April 5-6).

The condition of the hotel is excellent, the rooms, hallways, lobby etc. are immaculate. It is a relatively new hotel so this isn’t surprising, although someone had mentioned they just redid the whole place…nevertheless, everything was in great shape. The rooms are nicely designed, with a wall that divides the room, shielding the bed from the sound and light of the entryway..maybe this is typical in Hyatts but I found it to be a great design. The rooms themselves had coffee machines and in room safes, but no mini bar….I really miss those $4 chocolates. The bed is a lot like the heavenly beds at the Westin, very plush with nice sheets and down comforters. The heat/ac system was very quiet, which is always a question in any hotel.

The health club at the hotel is a good size with a lot of equipment and the indoor pool and hot tube are very nice…although I was to busy to take a swim. The hotel provides free indoor parking at an attached garage which is nice.

As for the food, I ordered room service one night and the service and sandwich were excellent. However, on Sunday morning we ate breakfast at the restaurant and I couldn’t believe what a lousy buffet they had. $21 bucks and all you get is a choice of eggs, sausage and some pastry and fruit….terrible selection. Instead, we ordered off of the menu for far less money and had an excellent breakfast.

As for the location, the hotel is in the middle of Reston “Town Center” a newly/under construction commercial area with a good amount of shops (pottery barn, etc.) and some nice restaurants (Mortons…). Reston itself is about 5 miles from Dulles airport, so if you need to visit this area of Virginia, or even if you are going into D.C., this is a nice place to stay, overall no complaints, would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2008
Richmond, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

I reserved my two-night stay two months in advance for a business meeting. When I arrived at 11:30 at night, the desk staff informed me they didn't have a room! This was despite having a confirmed reservation, emails from hotel manager welcoming me, etc. So... they gave me lousy directions to drive to another hyatt, 30 minutes away, and after a lengthy check-in there, got in my room at 1:00 am or so. Had to be back at the Reston Hyatt for my meeting at 8:00 am. Again, on my own to figure out how to get there in the pouring rain and northern Virginia rush hour traffic. It took an hour to get back to the hotel in the morning.
I ended up getting about five hours sleep total. I did get a room assigned when I arrived, and when I tried to go and take a quick nap after lunch, there were about 10 Hyatt staff in my room disassembling the bed. No nap for me!

OK, so the hotel is very very nice; rooms are great, everything clean, etc. But that makes no difference if they turn you away at midnight! If anyone from Hyatt reads this, I have two questions: 1) don't you know how many rooms you have in your hotel? 2) since you emailed me regularly just prior to my (hoped for) stay, why couldn't you email me saying you didn't have a room. The airlines have figured out this overbooking mess, why can't you?

Remember, all most of us want is a decent nights sleep.

• Liked — very clean, very comfortable, good location, nice amenities
  • Disliked — hotel overbooked and turned me away at midnight
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband frequently stays at the Reston Hyatt for business and we (me, daughter 13 and son 9) tag along for a weekend whenever possible.
We love the warm tones, comfy beds, amenities and location of this Hyatt.
Pluses:
--10 minutes from Dulles, with a free shuttle to/from the airport. About two blocks from the bus line--$1.00 bus ride to the Metro station to take you into D.C.
--in room coffee that's actually good. But if you don't like it, Panera is just an elevator ride away (in the lobby)
--located in Town Center Mall--great restaurants, nice shopping, movie theaters, ice skating...Never a dull moment.
--Service people there are friendly and helpful.

Not really any negatives I can think of, other than housekeeping can be spotty at times (namely, bathroom floor wasn't mopped last time we were there.)

You can find good deals at this hotel, making it a nice place to locate for a trip to D.C. The Metro makes traveling into the city so easy that I'd never even consider driving.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

Hotel appeared to be popular and pretty constently full, as such I received the impression that they were comfortable and just stopped trying to please guests. No one was rude but my expectation is that staff would make the extra effort to please...

@ check in both names were added to the folio. Phone calls for the second guest were transferred to an unknown voice mail box and messages were not received.

We went to the hotel restaurant upon arrival (after a 5 hour flight) looking for the others in our group. We were fresh off the plane and not in business clothes. Upon entering the restaurant a waiter gave us a head to toe gaze (I think he was sizing up our tip potential) and turned his back on us. He didn't offer to help, get the host, or seat us. Just a gaze and back to his task at hand. We found our party by walking around the dining room.

An important fed ex package was expected for guest #2. Told the desk ... to be sure that it was accecpted. Desk explained that package would come to the back, be delivered to desk and a message light would be on in the room. Upon our return to the hotel, message light was on..package was at desk. We went down. Clerk said it was in the back and she would have someone send it up. I think she thought it was a service.. but actually it was more of an aggravation. We left and came back in a few moments and the package had magically appeared.

Guest #1 went to the entry and tried to engage the doorman who was chatting with a cab driver. Cab driver made eye contact but no attempt was made to connect guest with doorman. Eventually door man came over.. tried to get a cab (next one in the cue) to come and do a pick up. He was unable to do so and left to go into the building (we are talking about cabs across the street!) with no word. I negoiated with a cab doing a drop off for a ride when two hotel employees rushed out and nixed my negoiation and secured the next cab in the cue. As I was in a hurry, this was a huge waste of time.

Room.. housekeeping was pushed and too busy. My heart goes out to the staff, but, details were not attended to.. one hand towel, up to the last day when two appeared. Bed was not made the same way twice, only once did we get the breakfast room service door card.

Hotel web site says robes, flat screen tvs and internet. Internet is for a fee, no robes (upon request housekeeping brought them up) and room had a standard TV.

Health club has a lovely pool and hot tub.... open Mon - Thur 5PM to 9 PM. Not exactly guest friendly.

The most challenging aspect of the property is the slamming of guest room doors. Jet lag and the noise of automatic door closers prevented us from any blocks of good sleep.

As I said at the start.. it felt as if they just didn't really care. A nice hotel stay is in the details and service. The Hyatt fell short.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!