“Hotel is standard for a regency but bill mishap is not acceptable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Reston

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hotel is standard for a regency but bill mishap is not acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip for one night. Upon checking my credit card statement, I noticed a 50 dollar charge ...called the hotel, they said it was for having a pet in the room. Now, one thing I dont own any pets. Second, I would nto bring a pet to a business trip. The person I spoke with should have gotten a manager on the phone immediately to resolve this. Instead, they have to check into it blah blah blah, and get back to me. this is not acceptable. The hotel management needs a course in customer relationship management and business ethics.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear monal_m_patel,

Thanks you for your business and for taking the time to review our property. And please accept my regret over your regrettable experience over a charge for a pet you do not own.

Please advise if this has not been taken care of.

Hopefully you will choose us again when visiting the area in the future.

Regards and best wishes for 2013.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a 4-star hotel and the rates are not cheap. Nevertheless, they still charge you for wi-fi and it isn't cheap. Furthermore, the wi-fi speed is around 1.5 Mbps unless you pay even more for the "premium" service which only affords you speeds of 3.5Mbps. These speeds are incredibly slow and are insufficient for any teleconferencing you might need to do from the hotel. When I stay at the Hampton, clearly NOT a 4-star hotel, the speeds are usually around 10-12 Mbps! The staff was NOT knowledgeable when it came to questions about the wi-fi but clearly they need to either update their bandwidth or at least give the wi-fi for free. Further, the staff was not overly-friendly nor service oriented.

Lastly, the toilet in my room didn't work correctly from the moment I got in my room. The water in it just ran and ran, them on the second night the flushing handle broke off.

I give it a 3 out of 5 stars overall and that's mostly due to the good location.

• Stayed December 2012
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear H C,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I regret to hear that your expectations were not met. The issue with the running toilet is inexcusable. I am terribly sorry.

Glad that our location served you well.

Rest assured your feedback on our internet service will be shared with our seniore management.

Many other guests have enjoyed a much better experience. I truly hope you visit us again in the future.

Best regards and wisehs for a happy holiday season,
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is the 3rd year we have stayed here with a group of friends to tour the local wineries. This is the first year we were disappointed due to a few things.

First- we brought food back and decided to eat in the lobby so we could all be together. We were told by security we weren't allowed to bring outside food in. When we showed him we were guests of the hotel, he didn't care. We were given 5 minutes to eat and leave. I would understand this if they needed the tables for people who were visiting the bar, but the bar was closed and no one needed the tables.

Second- we left at 10am in the morning to tour wineries and came back at 6:30pm and our room was not serviced. We did not put the door hanger on indicating we didn't want service so it should have been done. As we were walking in a maid approached us and said she didn't get to it yet. At that point we just wanted to relax in our room after a long day. She did give us fresh towels...but come on! It was 6:30pm!

Another thing that sucks is that they now charge for parking if you are a hotel guest.

Also, the bar in the hotel lobby has rude bartenders. Not once did the bartender come to our table to ask us if we needed anything but he did approach the other tables. We had to keep going to the bar to order our drinks. Extremely rude!

After 3 years, we probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Lizzers120,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the poor service you experienced during your recent stay.

Just to clarify a few points: Yes, for various reasons, paid parking was implemented in May 2012 for parking in the hotel ramp. As an alternative, there are over 5,000 free parking spots elsewhere in Retson Town Center.

Also, we discourage bringing "outside food" to eat in our public areas (ok in guest rooms). As a business that provides food, you may understand this.

This said, there is no excuse for your room not being clean on time, nor for the rude service you described from our security staff or bar. This is inconsistent with how we treat our guests. For that, I am truly sorry.

It is my sincere ho[pe that you do decide to stay with us in the future.

Best wishes for the holidays and a prosperous 2013.

Regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The point of a business trip is to conduct business. I've visited the Hyatt Regency several times over the last few years, and the thing I really like about this hotel is, it lets you get right down to business.

The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. On my most recent visit, my room on a high floor offered a surprisingly interesting view of the commercial center of Reston. Room amenities were fine, although not exceptional. The bed was comfortable. Everything seemed very clean. I appreciated the extra electrical outlets built into the frame of the desk--a subtle touch that provided plenty of power for recharging those indispensable electronic devices.

The meeting rooms of the hotel are organized around a pleasing and airy atrium. The arrangement helps to relieve tedium when moving from one meeting to the next. Catering was efficient and pleasant; meals are above average for large meetings.

The ground floor restaurant, Market Street, is surprisingly good. There is sufficient space around the tables to promote quiet business discussion, and the wait staff is right there when you need them. The hotel's front desk staffers are also cheerful and efficient.

The Hyatt Regency is not particularly convenient if you are traveling to and from Washington--the city is a 45 minute cab ride away, and it will cost you about $75 each way. However, once you arrive, you will enjoy the environment of a hotel that truly understands how to help businesspeople get down to business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear John S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your favorable review of our hotel. Seems like the hotel has served you well. We do appreciate your business.

Not sure you are aware that the metro silver line will extend to Wiehle Avenue, Reston in Q4 2013. This will boost our location's access to downtown Washington.

Warm regards and best wishes for the happiest of holidays.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here 4 nights for business, and thought it was a very good hotel. Check-in and check-out were completely painless. The room was spacious and clean and quiet. The TV was broken when I got to the room, and after a day of complaining, they came and replaced it. Too bad it took so long, but they sent up a couple bottles of wine and snacks to make up for the delay, so I end up feeling OK about it. The breakfast is pricey ($22), but a decent buffet. The internet (Premium, $15/day) is also pricey. They have a businessmen's special for $20/night including breakfast and internet which is a much better deal.
The area is good for a moderate stay: there are a dozen restaurants in walking distance, shops and a movie theatre, plus a nice Air and Space Museum near Dulles (take the free hotel shuttle back to Dulles, then catch the Musem bus for 50 cents).

Room Tip: Higher floors were quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear PeterBSanFrancisco,

A thousand thanks for your detailed and favorable review of your stay at our hotel. Sorry to hear that a few experience items did not meet your expectation. It is our goal that all of our guests are very satisfied with their stay.

Your business is much appreciated. We hope you choose us when traveling again to the area.

Regards and happy holidays,
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I used to live in the Reston area, and we come back to visit family and friends out here a lot. We've stayed at many hotels in the Reston/Herndon/Sterling/Chantilly/Fairfax area, but this one is always our favorite. The service is consistantly friendly and we've never had a bad room. I love being a part of the Reston Town Center; there's always something fun going on just steps from the hotel. Also, the gym in this hotel is fantastic! Must bigger and more well equipped than most hotel gyms you'll find. If you book online at hyatt.com they also usually have an option to add breakfast from the Market Street Grill to your room booking for only $10 per person, and it is WELL worth it to do so. The breakfast buffet is delicious and would normally cost about $40 for two people, so getting it half off at the time of booking is fantastic. Book here and enjoy your stay in Reston!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelingFord,

Thank you so much for your splendid review. It was uplifting to learn that you enjoyed our hotel and its location as much as you did. It made my day! We are proud of our property and Reston Town Center. Glad to know you do also.

Once again, thanks for your awesome stamp of approval. Please come & visit us again soon.

Regards & happy holidays,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Thanks to a generous relative who booked our hotel using his Hyatt Hotel points, we stayed for two days over Thanksgiving. We were disappointed that we were bumped up to the Club Level but that the lounge would be closed over Thanksgiving. Room was nice and comfortable. Bath amenities were very nice.

I'm taking a few points off for inconsistent service. My wife is an early riser and asked the front desk where she could get coffee on Thanksgiving (the adjacent Panera Bread was closed), and in-room coffee is usually dreadful. The desk clerk directed her to a Starbuck's, which was also closed. Surprisingly the hotel's own restaurant was open and my wife found coffee there. The clerk could have saved her a lot of trouble just by pointing her to their own restaurant.

Since the Club Level lounge was closed, we were told we would get comped full breakfasts in the restaurant. I mentioned this to our waiter both mornings and both said they'd take care of it. However, upon checking out, I asked to see our bill since we had added gratuities. The bill presented to me did not make any sense. There was a 30-cent gratuity, a meal charge, and then one gratuity that I did recognize. We definitely did not give a 30-cent gratuity, we usually tip the customary 15-20%. Had we paid for the room ourselves, I would have brought this to their attention. Since it was on a family member's Hyatt points, I decided to just let it go.

And by the way, if you don't mind walking around the corner to the free parking lot, you can avoid the Hyatt's parking fees.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear TarHeel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your stay. Glad to hear that overall, you enjoyed your experience. It was also dissapointing to learn that we failed to provide you with the appropriate service you deserved. This is not consistent with how we assist our guests.

Your business is much appreciated. I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Regards and happy holidays,
Ray

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!