“Solid Hyatt Property” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Solid Hyatt Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed for a small convention and this property meets your expectations for a Hyatt Regency property that is intended for business travelers. Higher end, but not top drawer. Service and amenities are very good.

Upside is that it sits at the edge of Reston Town Center and is a very short walk to many high and shops and good restaurants.

A couple of gripes. Clock in the room was not lit and could not be seen without turning on a lamp. Gigantic hair in the tub! Room not cleaned until 3:30 in the afternoon. Dirt/fuzz in the in-room coffee cup.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Colocav,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience at our property. So sorry to learn of our unfortunate cleanliness experience. This is not consistent with our standards. Rest assured this will be followed up on.

Glad to hear our location proved to be convenient for your needs.

We appreciate you business and sincerely wish we had provide for a better experience for you.

Please come & visit us again soon.

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had booked the Hyatt Regency through Expedia for a stay to visit my daughter and her husband. When hurricane Sandy arrived we had to extend our visit by three days before we could fly back home. We couldn't have chosen a more comfortable place to stay.

Pros:
Extremely helpful and friendly staff. When we had to extend our stay the person at the desk actually suggested we check expedia online and if we could get a lower rate, they would make sure we kept the same room.

Room was very clean, large and comfortable. I appreciate the little things, like all the lights on when we arrived, so it felt very welcoming and no scrambling for light switches.

Hotel is located in a very nice shopping area. We enjoyed being able to walk to a movie theater, shops, restaurants and I have to put a plug in for an amazing Gelato shop, Pitango. My daughter lived in Italy, and says this is the best gelato she has ever eaten in the US. I just have to say YUM! Won't admit to how many times we visited there during our stay.

Cons:

Would be helpful to know if there are any large conventions happening at the hotel, and what type. Sharing the hotel with a tremendously large number of High School theater students was quite the experience. Waits for elevators got quite long at times. We did appreciate the hotel putting on a quiet floor, not with the students.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Waystogo,

Please accept my gratitude for caring enought to post such a detailed-and favorable review. Glad to learn that the hotel and it's location amenities served you well during an extended stay. I do regret that your experience may have been affected by an annual weekend students convention.

Thank you for your business. It is our hope that you choose to stay with us during a future visit.

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We ended up staying at the Reston Hyatt last minute during Hurricane Sandy out of fear that a. our trees would hit our house and b. we'd lose power. We only live about 30 minutes away so really have never needed to stay at this hotel in the past. We had a 3 room suite set up with 2 regular hotel rooms on either side of a huge hospitality suite - which was fabulous and served as a great space to hang out. It was modern, clean and very comfortable. The staff was warm and friendly. My kids had an absolute blast and thought of it as a little adventure. They were able to relax and leave the worrying to us. We were there with my mom and step dad so we hung out in the restaurant for a bit having drinks and apps & then ordered room service later on - all of which was great. The lady who delivered our room service, Elsa, was fantastic. So sweet and accomodating, offering to bring the kids cereal up that night in case they lost power before breakfast. I am a germ freak and very picky about hotels and I have to say the Hyatt was very clean and up-to-date, and I was very comfortable there. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. We've been going to the Reston Town Center for years (my husband actually works at a company based there) and the TC has great shopping and dining and is a beautiful place! I should also mention that there is a Panera in the hotel which makes feeding your kids and getting yourself a pumpkin spice latte very easy! There were two negatives for me...1. I did not like the children's menu in the hotel restaurant. Luckily they had pizza on the room service menu, but despite it coming from the same kitchen as the restaurant, they wouldn't let me order it in the restaurant; and 2. the female bartender was terrible. She was borderline rude and didn't seem to know what she was doing. There were 7 people sitting at the bar (I counted) and you'd have thought there were 70 by the way she was acting. Luckily the manager was there and he was fantastic, got our drinks and food and was very calm and nice. Thank you Hyatt for turning terrible Hurricane Sandy into a fun adventure for my kids and me!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear MomofTwoVA,

Thank you so much for the favorable review. Great to learn that an unfortunate weather-forced hotel stay turnde into a memorable adventure for you & your family.

Your suggestions were well received. I truly regret if a bar employee provided less than enthusiastic service. Rest assured this will be investigated.

Your business is much appreciated. Please come back & visit us!

Fairfax Station, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We decided since we lose power almost every huge storm, that we would get ahead of the power outage and check into a hotel in our area. We have never had the need to stay at the Hyatt Reston but have been to the Town Center many times over the years and just love the are. We live about 6 miles from the hotel so we reserved a suite for ourselves and our daughter and grandchildren. We absolutely loved our rooms and the parlour suite in between the 2 suites. The rooms were very clean and quite large but the best part was t he in between suite that allowed us to all hang out and just have fun.We were so worried about the storm damage to our homes but decided to just try to make it fun for the grandkids. We had a wonderful time in the downstairs bar with light fare and wine and games for the kids. We returned to our suite and my daughter ordered room service which was excellent as well and we all had a great time playing games and having pizza. But the good times were overshadowed by watching all the terrible weather on the news and how others were suffering. We said our prayers for all and tried to be hopeful and were grateful that we were safe. Everyone on staff at the hotel could not have been nicer or more helpful and we had a wonderful time despite the unfortunate circumstances of others. I neglected to mention that the hotel gave us a drastically reduced rate due to the storm, something the Ritz at Tysons did not offer but increased their rates. We were so taken by this gesture as many people cannot afford togo to a hotel during a power outage and the Hyatt made it possible for some to be able to stay because of their discounted prices. Very nice indeed. I will certainly recommend this lovely hotel to all visitors and family that we have in the future and if there is another Sandy looming on the horizon!

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor with a wonderful view and wonderful room......we loved it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear CCGrandma,

We were delighted to read your gracious review of your experience. Great to hear that you and your family enjoyed together during quite a difficult ordeal. Fortunately, our area was not as affected by the storm, as others less fortunate. Our prayers are with them.

Thank you for your business and fabulous review. Your feedback will be passed along. We sincerely hope that you decid to stay with us again.

Warm regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I went here as a chaperone for a group of high school students. The hotel was packed and the layout of the elevators made it such that waits were interminable. Apparently this hotel is very popular with conventions as it is next to Reston Town Center. if you are planning to stay, ask if a conference is planned concurrent with your stay. If there is, get a room on the 3rd floor so you can use the stairs.

The rooms were nice enough, not much in the way of amenities other than a shoeshine stand. The thing that really bothered me though was the $14.95 daily charge for internet in the rooms. If Motel 6 can figure out a way to offer it for free, I think Hyatt could as well. There is a Panera bread near the hotel and many people congregated there for the free wi-fi.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear CvilleJohn,

iT was dissapointing to hear our property did not meet your expectations. You are correct: we are the most popular destination in the Dulles area for group meetings and conventions. Besides our convenient Reston Town Center location, our convenient floor plan and superior service, as cited by our clients.

Yes, there is a fee for internet service. I'm sure you would agree our hotel is a different product than a Motel 6.

Your business is much appreciated. Hopefully you will choose us again in the future.

Sincerest regards,
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the Reston Hyatt and was part of a conference taking place on-site. Check-in was handled in an efficient and pleasant manner and our room was well-appointed. I am always surprised when a full-service hotel charges for Internet use. I would like to propose an idea. Why don't you assume everyone will use your WiFi. Its probably true. So, just add the charge into the nightly rate and then the traveler will not feel annoyance at yet another charge.
My stay was generally pleasant. The location is wonderful - Reston Town Center is charming. We were there when all the shopkeepers were having a trick or treat Halloween event for local children. We had lunch on the patio of a nearby restaurant and watched as dozens of adorable little children walked by in costume. There are countless wonderful shops and restaurants so there is plenty to do.
Here are my complaints. Your elevators are the slowest I have ever encountered. I am not making a generalization here. Your elevators were literally THE slowest ever. It became quicker to just walk up and down the steps.
Check-out time is noon. I left the room at 8:30 to get breakfast and returned only to find housekeeping in the room. Surprisingly, she did not make any move to leave even after I sat down in the chair obviously wanting to enjoy the room I had through noon. I think she would have stayed and cleaned the bathroom had I not told her we were not finished in the bathroom. I was a bit disturbed that she came into a room full of luggage, with clothes hanging in the closet and toiletries and clothes in the bathroom and assumed we were finished with the room!! I was most upset I was unable to get a few hours of additional sleep since she changed the bedsheets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear kate16,

That you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. Your candor and honest feedback are well received. Rest assured that your sugestions will be reviewed.

Your business is much appreciated. Hopefully you'll choose us again in the future.

Ray

Ps-stay safe during the storm!
columbia sc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel was very nice, but at $200.00 plus per night, it felt more like $100.00 a night hotel. I can go to another well known chain and get a very clean well appointed room and get free wifi and breakfast. Not sure what this offered for the extra money. The wifi was $10.00 a day but that only let you use one device. $15.00 if you need more than one connection. And the connection was so slow I could not log into work.

I tavel a lot to many different areas. I set my expectations based on what is available locally. They are not always the best. That is okay, but at these rates I expected more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear magjek,

That you for your stay and comments. It is dissapointing to learn that the hotel did not meet your value expectations. Nevertheless, we are grateful for your business and hope that you consider us again when visiting Northern Virginia.

Regards and hope you are not affected much by the inclement weather.

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!