“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
columbia sc
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel was very nice, but at $200.00 plus per night, it felt more like $100.00 a night hotel. I can go to another well known chain and get a very clean well appointed room and get free wifi and breakfast. Not sure what this offered for the extra money. The wifi was $10.00 a day but that only let you use one device. $15.00 if you need more than one connection. And the connection was so slow I could not log into work.

I tavel a lot to many different areas. I set my expectations based on what is available locally. They are not always the best. That is okay, but at these rates I expected more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear magjek,

That you for your stay and comments. It is dissapointing to learn that the hotel did not meet your value expectations. Nevertheless, we are grateful for your business and hope that you consider us again when visiting Northern Virginia.

Regards and hope you are not affected much by the inclement weather.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Great Neck, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I just stayed at the Hyatt Reston this past weekend (check out date 10/21)

The hotel is a very nice business hotel, as Regency is known for. I was here for a family gathering and the hotel was perfectly located to all. We did enjoy the Reston Town Center, the proximity to all of this was perfect.

Upon arrival at the property, we were greeted very pleasantly by the bellman and valets. They helped us with our luggage, as they should do, to the front desk. The front desk staff was very helpful and got us checked in right away. I was told I was in a business room and this included free wifi (I wasn't told that this was only for TWO DEVICES THOUGH), and breakfast for 1 daily (my complaint about this, I was not told that it HAD to be in the restaurant). I will not delve into any of this, but I do think that more than 2 devices should be on the free wifi.

The room was very quaint and for the most part sound proofed. Being a world traveler, I am use to some amenities that I realize a business hotel will not provide. But the bed was very comfortable, the bedroom was very comfortable as well. The bathroom could use some updating and could definitely use a lot more LIGHT. Especially in the shower. Bath amenities were typical Hyatt Place and Hyatt Regency amenities, nothing too great or that stands out here. I was pretty ticked off on Saturday though, my girlfriend and I spent the entire day (from 10am till 5pm) out of the room. When we walked out at 10am, there was a housekeeper cleaning the room next to ours. But upon arrival back to our room at 5pm, the house keeper was just cleaning our room. Again, I won't delve into this, but this ROYALLY SUCKED To the DOS who will probably read this, read my other reviews please, I rarely use/if ever use the word sucked in a review.

As for the hotel amenities, the proximity to the Town Center is invaluable. I am a gym rat, as my girlfriend tells me, and I was okay with the gym here. I had spent about an hour working out, and then jumped into the pool to relax before heading back out. It's nice to have an indoor pool and to jump into it after working out. I never stepped foot in the hotel restaurant, as I was at family events, only walked through the main lobby and it was very nice, and didn't get to check out the Regency Club.

I'd say this is a nice hotel and in a perfect location. For people traveling to Reston on business, this is the place to be. If you're looking for class and sophistication, I'd suggest driving 20 minutes or so and go to the Ritz Tysons Corner. I will be using this property again, and look forward to it.

Thank you very much, for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear worldtraveler0411,

Please accept my gratitude for the thoughtful and detailed review of your stay at our property. Your candor and honest feedback are appreciated. Rest assured they will be reviewed with our management committee.

While it seems that overall your experience was positive, I regret and apologize for anything that did not meet your expectations.

It was also refreshing to see that you anticipated how quickly I would read this review-no offense taken with your choice of words.

Please stop by & visit us again.

Dublin, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights on business. It's a great location - walking distance to shopping, restaurants and a movie theater. Very nice work out facility. I used the pool and hot tub one evening around 5pm and I was the only one there the entire time (besides the lifeguard). Rooms are very nice although some mildew in the shower and a few areas, such as vents, were not as clean as you would expect. The elevators were a little slow and the stair system a little confusing, but all in all this is a great place to stay and I would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Caroline D,

Thank you for taking the time to comment your experience during your stay at our property. Your candid feedback is appreciated and well received. We will pay particular attention to those areas which did not meet your satisfaction.

I am glad that, overall, you did enjoy your stay.

We would love to welcome you back during your next visit to Reston.

Warm regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hotel is comfortable and convenient to shopping (attached.) Staff is very friendly and the best deal is in the weekend thru AAA. Room and breakfast for 117.00. Have to pay 8.00 a night for parking (kind of steep, in my opinion). Breakfast was very pricey on Sunday morning if not included in the room. Two would have spent in excess of $40 for a buffet. Probably the going rate in DC, tho'. Traffic is hideous from D.C. (Took 75 minutes from the elipse to the hotel on Saturday evening, so plan accordingly.) especially at 4:00 p.m. Had a handicapped room with two double beds. Pretty comfortable. Pillows were awful...too hard for us. Bedding was nice. Room as very accessible for person in wheelchair. Bathroom had limited surface for toiletries, just a shelf, no counters. Here's a tip, if there is a line to check out use the computer screens on the right hand side of the reception desk. Be sure to take one room key...otherwise you will not be able to get out of the parking garage without help.You will also have to pay for internet service, which I thought was kind of cheap for such a high end facility. I think it was $13.00 per day. IU didn't use it. Elevators were sort of slow. There was a pool we didn't use. If you are in a wheelchair note that you will have to circumnavigate the main reception area in order to get to a lower level where there is shopping and coffee. M Street grill where the breakfast was is right off the elevators. If you have a question, ask, there are not 100% forthcoming with everything you need to know. Unlike another reviewer, I just left my car int the turnaround to check in and just ignored the door staff, but not to be mean. They didn't tell me I couldn't leave my car there.... (Like where to go for the comp breakfast and how to get out of the garage after you have checked out.) Waite4rs are very accomodating in the restaurant. Overall, it was just right for us.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor and it was fine for us. It was quiet except for some partiers who showed...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Stewies_Mom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. The information is important to us. rest assured it will be discussed among our management committee.

Glad to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay experience.

Your business is appreciated. Hopefully you'll choose us again duirng a future visit to Reston.

Safety Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Located in the heart of Reston Town Center, this place is where the nightlife is at. Just a few short walks from Clyde's" the apple store, and UNO pizza. Rooms are spacious ( try and get a town center view), and all the patrons are readily willing to assist.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Johnny G,

Please accept our most sincere gratitude for your great review of our property. Glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and location. Very thoughtful of you tot ake the time to comment on your experience.

Warm regards and best wishes for success in Easton Pa!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

For our 4 year wedding anniversary my wife and I were given, as a gift, the explore Reston package for Saturday the 6th.  From the moment we arrived our experience started horribly.

I pulled in to check-in and was told that if I was not valeting my car I couldn’t be in the turnaround area?  The valet basically shut the door in my wife’s face promptly after opening it for her.  She was then instructed to "go park the car while your husband checks in".
When I inquired about the extras that came with the package (movie vouchers and Visa Gift cards) no one knew what I was talking about? (should have been a red flag)  After 15 minutes waiting I asked if I could just go to my room and have the stuff delivered and I was told to “just hold on."  More time goes by and a woman immerges from the back hands me an envelope and turns around and walks off.  No directions, no greeting, nothing.
When we get to dinner we present the Town Center gift card and were promptly told that there was nothing they could do for us as they don’t accept this card.  We were at Mortons in the center.
This was extremely embarrassing for us, on our anniversary no less.  I am very happy that we were not counting on that extra money to pay for our dinner, we would have been in a very bad spot. I wonder if other were put in similar spots?

Upon check out we were again, stuck in the rotating incompetents at the front desk.  They were the same as the night before so hope it was just this crew and not all of the staff.  As I was checking out I complained about the gift card and I was told “yea, we have heard that a lot.  Almost everyone is having problems with the cards.”  THEY ARE SELLING ROOM PACKAGES THAT INCLUDE GIFT CARDS THAT THEY KNOW DON'T WORK?!?!?!
As I complained (assistant front office manager) stepped in to help.  She was very polite and sympathetic to us.  She offered to expunge some additional charges to our room which I was more than happy with, as well as she offered to get us a comparable gift card to the restaurant.  She had me at the desk for another 20 minutes waiting while she and another gentleman who’s name tag was “trainee” traded turns walking into the back room only to tell me that she couldn’t get me a gift card for the restaurant and that all I could do is call her before we come to dinner and she will “take care” of our charges?
We were charged $33.06 for incidentals after the manager told me she expunged them. I left with no receipt as there was no charges?  This is extortion, we paid for a gift card that didn’t work, then charged again for services that were comped to cover the giftcard?
We left with nothing –

What's that you say, email the manager and the person you worked with?? Nope I did that and got read receipts but not even an apology or an acknowledgment.
It's obvious now that the staff is only as good as the leadership which is just as unethical and unprofessional as they are.

Stay at the Marriott and cab to the town center.

• Stayed October 2012
Ray M, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear NOVAlocalFAM,

It was dissapointing to learn of your described experience. It is not consistent with our service level and the positive stays that hundreds of guests enjoy daily. As I understand, you are already in contact with the hotel's general manager.

Hopefully, you will choose our hotel as your venue in the future. Your positive feedback would be welcome.

Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is one of my favorite Hyatts. Great location very clean and customer friendly. Did have one problem - I arrived at 1 am due to late arrival of plane and was awakened at 5 am for my wake up call. I NEVER DID ASK FOR A WAKE UP CALL

Dear peter_glazier,

Please accept my gratitude for your positive review, as well as our apology for placing an erroneous wake up call to your room.

Your business is important to us. Rest assured that your comments will be passed along.

Best of luck in Sao Paulo. Hope you choose us again during your next visit.

Ray

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!