“Just OK, Appeared not to care” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Just OK, Appeared not to care”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

Hotel appeared to be popular and pretty constently full, as such I received the impression that they were comfortable and just stopped trying to please guests. No one was rude but my expectation is that staff would make the extra effort to please...

@ check in both names were added to the folio. Phone calls for the second guest were transferred to an unknown voice mail box and messages were not received.

We went to the hotel restaurant upon arrival (after a 5 hour flight) looking for the others in our group. We were fresh off the plane and not in business clothes. Upon entering the restaurant a waiter gave us a head to toe gaze (I think he was sizing up our tip potential) and turned his back on us. He didn't offer to help, get the host, or seat us. Just a gaze and back to his task at hand. We found our party by walking around the dining room.

An important fed ex package was expected for guest #2. Told the desk ... to be sure that it was accecpted. Desk explained that package would come to the back, be delivered to desk and a message light would be on in the room. Upon our return to the hotel, message light was on..package was at desk. We went down. Clerk said it was in the back and she would have someone send it up. I think she thought it was a service.. but actually it was more of an aggravation. We left and came back in a few moments and the package had magically appeared.

Guest #1 went to the entry and tried to engage the doorman who was chatting with a cab driver. Cab driver made eye contact but no attempt was made to connect guest with doorman. Eventually door man came over.. tried to get a cab (next one in the cue) to come and do a pick up. He was unable to do so and left to go into the building (we are talking about cabs across the street!) with no word. I negoiated with a cab doing a drop off for a ride when two hotel employees rushed out and nixed my negoiation and secured the next cab in the cue. As I was in a hurry, this was a huge waste of time.

Room.. housekeeping was pushed and too busy. My heart goes out to the staff, but, details were not attended to.. one hand towel, up to the last day when two appeared. Bed was not made the same way twice, only once did we get the breakfast room service door card.

Hotel web site says robes, flat screen tvs and internet. Internet is for a fee, no robes (upon request housekeeping brought them up) and room had a standard TV.

Health club has a lovely pool and hot tub.... open Mon - Thur 5PM to 9 PM. Not exactly guest friendly.

The most challenging aspect of the property is the slamming of guest room doors. Jet lag and the noise of automatic door closers prevented us from any blocks of good sleep.

As I said at the start.. it felt as if they just didn't really care. A nice hotel stay is in the details and service. The Hyatt fell short.

Stayed February 2008

333 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

We'd booked this hotel as an overnight stop before an early morning flight from Dulles. There is a Hyatt closer to the airport but it is far inferior to the Reston counterpart.

The Reston location is a short hop from the Dulles Toll Road and has a capacious parking garage where they allow free parking during your trip, in some of our cases 12 days so the savings versus the economy lot are decent. The hotel is a new build, pleasant and quite grand lobby. Standard rooms are of a good size, feel very clean and are nice furnished with very comfortable bed. Usual Hyatt toiletries which I like a lot.

The hotel is part of a pedestrianised area with a number of restaurants and shops including a cinema. All within close walking distance.

Overall our first stay was very good and we have since returned on several occassions. If you could classify it as an airport hotel (they run a shuttle every 30mins) then it is probably the best at Dulles.

I've since become a Hilton HHonors member and stayed regularly enough to attain Gold status with them and despite the number of Hilton family hotels that I've stayed at in the Dulles region I still think the Hyatt Reston is better than all of them. The Hilton's rates are usually excellent though and for my next overnight in the area I've turned down the $275 rate at the Hyatt in favour of $110 at an Embassy Suites. I know which hotel is better though.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

Stayed after flying into Dulles from London. Lovely hotel right in town centre. Can step outside to shopping and dining. Room was fairly standard but large and well furnished. Nice bathroom. Bed was like sleeping on air. Hotel staff very efficient and friendly. Buffet breakfast very good with plenty of choice. A large choice of good restaurants in Reston Town Centre, which is small enough to get to any restaurant without a long walk. Lovely stores and not too busy. Ideal for overnight after a long flight.

• Liked — comfortable beds and luxurious surroundings
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

I stayed here in July for a business trip for five nights. I had a great experience overall. Check-in was a breeze as I was done in less than five minutes. I originally asked for double beds because I thought my family might come down later during the week, however about an hour after checking in I changed my mind and asked to be moved to a room with a King bed. The staff was curteous and had no problem to move me. The room was nice with modern and new looking furniture and it was spacious. The bed was absolutely wonderful. I slept really well the entire time I was there.The lobby was great it was spacious and had nice lighting. The gym had some decent equipement and the indoor pool was great. The one day I tried the jacuzzin the water was not really that hot and they had problems trying to heat it up... but not a big deal. I did not like that I had to pay $10 a night for Wi-Fi in my room, especially after paying $319 a night. However, if you go to the lobby you can catch the free signal from Panera Bread restaurant which has an entrance from the hotel lobby. I saw many people doing this and I tried this on my last day and it worked fine. One of the great things about this hotel is the location. From the back and side entrances of the hotel you walk out to local shops and restaurants. Within a 1-3 minute walk you have a choice of upto 6-7 restaurants. There are high-end shops all around and a movie theatre right down the street. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Room and location
  • Disliked — Paying for Wi-Fi
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
west coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

Stayed here four nights for a business meeting. Hotel was very clean, service was great and room service was actually decent. Very good restaurant selections within blocks, some higher-end retail shops and a decent golf course within walking distance. If you are near Dulles, it's only about 10-15 minutes away and I would definately recommend booking here.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

Nice property well located near Dulles airport. Near plenty of shopping and restaurants. Good Regency Club too.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for seven nights. We had originally planned to be at this hotel our entire trip, but due to a family emergency, we had to arrive sooner. They did not have room for us, so our first four nights were spent at the Embassy Suites, Tysons Corner - preferred overall. When we got to the hotel, we were given a room directly overlooking the ugly rock roof. Since we were staying for such a long period and not a very happy occasion, I requested a room with a better view. They then put us into a room with a fabulous view, but neglected to notice that my son and I had booked a room with two beds - not the one bed that this one had. We then had to go again to the lobby to obtain a key to a room with two beds, and once we got into this room, it did have two beds, but again had the ugly view. I went to the front and very calmly and quietly explained the situation to the mgr who then kindly escorted us to two more rooms, allowing us a choice - very nice. The room's view was very good, however, there was a constant noise and the beds vibrated continuously - we didn't want to press our luck mentioning it, so we stuffed pillows between the headboards and the wall to lessen the vibrations throughout the night.
The food in the restaurant is very good - buffet is best choice - the servers are very nice. Two main downsides for this property are the $13.95 charge for the business center (15 minutes only) and the $5.00 charge to use the exercise room. Other hotels provide these as a courtesy. I make frequent trips to this area, and will not be choosing this hotel again, although the area is very nice - I will stop and shop there.

• Liked — Proximity to Dulles Airport
  • Disliked — Cost of incidentals (business center, fitness center)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!