“Excellent choice for business” 5 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Reston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent choice for business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

After visiting this hotel twice, I can safely say it’s my favorite property for business travel. If you are working anywhere in Reston, the Hyatt seems to be convenient to mostly everything, including a short 15-20 minute trip from Dulles (IAD). The shuttle service is reliable and prompt, although it only departs once per hour and ceases at 10:00pm. The doormen, valets and front desk personnel are all extremely courteous and helpful and the housekeeping service seems to be above average.

Rooms at the Hyatt Reston are excellent. Although this is not a 5-star hotel, the accommodations are more than adequate, especially for a solo business traveler. I’ve stayed in both the larger corner room and the standard King room – no problems either time. The alarm clocks are iPod compatible but sadly do not fit the iPhone.

Perhaps the best part about this hotel is its location. A Panera Bread is immediately off the spacious lobby and offers free WiFi for those who don’t want to pay for the hotel’s internet access (and who does, really?). Walk outside the back door of the hotel and you are in the Reston Town Center, an outdoor mall with plenty of shopping and restaurants. I can’t vouch for the hotel’s restaurant or room service, but my favorite dining in the area is Big Bowl (better suited for a separate review).

For those who are interested in amenities, the Hyatt’s gym is, by far, the best I’ve ever seen in the context of hotel gyms. It’s not a closet with a treadmill and a couple of beauty bells. This facility offers several treadmills complete with TV and fancy course charting, a bar/rack with enough pins to serve as a squat rack or bench press, kettle bells, dumbbells up to 70 lbs. each and heavy ropes for intense training. It also has a few Free Motion machines and Swiss balls. Easily the nicest hotel gym I’ve ever seen. The pool and hot tub are quite nice as well. You absolutely cannot go wrong with the fitness amenities at the Hyatt Reston.

Overall, the Hyatt is a fantastic choice for business travel. Aside from the high rates (over $250/night average) and the lack of free WiFi/Ethernet in the rooms, there is really nothing negative about this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
HyattRegencyReston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear phiNole,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post your review and recommendations for our future guests. We are thrilled that our amenities, service and accommodations keep you coming back to our hotel and that we have become one of your favorites! Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent service and we’re glad to hear that you found everyone to be courteous and helpful. As you have found, the health club provides a great benefit for our guests as it is spacious and well equipped for just about any workout regimen, and is available complimentary for hotel guests. And… of course as you mentioned, our prime location in Reston Town Center provides great appeal to our guests whether they are traveling for business or pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best Regards,

Tammy, Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
Bowie, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at the Reston Hyatt for 3 nights while attending a pageant. I feel the service was generally good. The only hiccup was we did electronic check in which does not itemize all the fees you will be charged. So, as you check in, you really have no idea how much you'll end up owing. When I realized we had been given an upgraded room (at an upgraded nightly rate of an additional $30 per night), I did call the front desk and they rectified the issue and acknowledged this was an issue with the kiosk check-in.

Another issue with the hotel are the elevators - they are either extremely slow and/or it's a function of poor planning (only four for a 15 floor hotel). We waited what seemed like forever for an elevator, which often was already full. Getting around was very, very difficult and cumbersome (which isn't good when you're trying to get a tired 5 year old to a room on the top floor).

Parking was not easy due to construction, however that is a temporary situation (I suspect).

Finally, $10/day for internet? That's ridiculous for a business and convention oriented hotel. The taxes and fees for standard amenities were a bit overboard.

Ideal location... As a family we loved the convenience of having a Panera location right in the hotel. Very convenient! Variety of restaurants, shops and a movie theater just steps away!

Easy to get to... It's right off the toll road.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were big and clean. The only downer there was the older tile in the shower.

In general, I felt the staff aimed to please. No request we made went unanswered.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
HyattRegencyReston, Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear TravelMom_Bowie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the easy access and convenience of our location, comfortable guestrooms and excellent service that our staff provided to you and your family. I am glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to resolve the accidental upgrade charge you received. Our location is certainly a plus, but as you mentioned, our friendly staff is truly what makes us stand out. I do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the elevators. As you know the pageant brought a number of families to the hotel. With the frequent need for guests to get to their rooms for changing, this did create an unexpected back-up. Unfortunately there wasn’t anything that could be done to expedite the service itself. Also, as you stated the parking garage is under a much needed renovation, which is scheduled to be complete by the end of September. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our hotel again in the future.

Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The Hyatt in Reston Town Center is a really great location if you like shopping and eating in the town center. I was looking forward to my stay, but unfortunately the hotel did not meet my expectations of a quality hotel.

I stayed in a king bed room. The room was large, had a nice desk and flat panel television. The bed and pillows were really comfortable. I could not get hot water in with the sink or the bath tub during my stay. At best, it was lukewarm.

The hotel garage was under construction, so multiple times during my stay, all of the parking in the 4 story parking garage was taken except for valet at $24.

Wireless internet was available for a fee, in either cheap and slow or expensive and "fast". I got the uprated connection for 5 days @$55. Speeds were ok, but I had intermittent problems with the internet disconnecting.

I tried the bar the first night and ordered a "signature" drink listed on the menu. My credit card was taken out of my sight to the back room for 10 minutes, then 3 of the bartenders spent another 10 minutes trying to figure out what was in the "signature" drink. As a tip, go to one of the many excellent bars in the town center before EVER going to the one in the hotel.

Reston town center is a great place, unfortunately, I had a bad experience at the Hyatt this time. It is a nice hotel, but it could use better service.

When I went to discuss the problems with the parking and the fact I was unable to get hot water during my stay, the front desk person did not offer any redress, to which I shortened my stay and found another hotel to complete my time in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
HyattRegencyReston, Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Zillafire,

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve our service and product. I have followed up with our Engineering department to see why you weren't able to receive hot water in your room. At the least, you should have been offered an opportunity to change rooms. It is disappointing to hear that your concerns were not addressed or compensated for. I can assure you the service level you received is not indicative of our hotel and has certainly been addressed. Our garage is currently undergoing a much needed renovation to keep our facilties safe and useable. We try to provide parking for all of our guests whenever available. Reston Town Center is a great location and I hope you allow us the oportunity to show you the 4-diamond service we are known for should your travels bring you back to our area.

Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Reston during a 4-day business trip in 2010. The hotel is located in the Reston Town Center, which I found to be relatively quiet, yet most places were crowded.

Never having been in the US before, I was amazed at the ancient-looking design of the relatively new hotel, which nonetheless fits in well with the rest of Reston Town Center. The hotels general ambience is spacious and comfortable with a lavish premium touch, the highlight of which is probably the lobby.

The rooms are designed to be of comfortable functionality. While there is plenty of room to spread out, I personally would not consider them "oversized", as the hotel homepage puts it. My room was on the 10th floor and had a beautiful view of Reston Town Center, especially during early mornings.
The bed is very comfortable and the room is quiet, which both contributes to a good nights sleep.

The american breakfast buffet offers plenty of choice with a slight focus on warm dishes. Europeans may find these to make a very rich breakfast.
The waiters are mostly friendly, yet they all appear a little exerted.

Overall, the Hyatt Regency Reston appears to be aimed at and is frequented mostly be business travellers - which is it perfectly good for.

Room Tip: My room was on the 10th floor and had a beautiful view of Reston Town Center, especially during earl...
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
HyattRegencyReston, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear palzkillm,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Although it seems it has been a year since you visited, we must have made a lasting impression on you, and we are always happy to receive them. Should your travels bring you back to the US and to Northern Virginia, we hope to have the chance to be of service to you once again.

Best Regards,

Tammy, Director of Public Relations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We loved the hotel and location. The adjoining outdoor mall was so great. Free concerts at night , ice cream and movie theatre. Plenty of places to eat and a great park to chill with the kids all within walkimg distance.

We took a 15 minute bus ride to the metro station. To go to Georgetown and the next day the National Zoo on the very busy July 4th weekend. Parking at the hotel is FREE.

Will definately be back to stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HyattRegencyReston, Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear griffin96,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us. We're happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your visit. We agree, our location is very convenient for shopping, dining and movies, that guests can keep busy without taking the car out of the garage! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

The real test to see if a hotel is being managed properly is seeing how they deal with problems and mistakes. Our stay last week at the Reston was one mistake after another. The worst problem was watching the management on duty compounding the mistakes in their ineffectual attempts to rectify the problem. It is a sad commentary on a hotel when the person that had the most sense and helped us the most was the bellhop who could barely speak English. You should be the employee of the month!

We arrived at the hotel tired after a long drive and just wanted to get to our rooms. The place was hopping it appeared an event was going on and taking care of a guest was the last thing on the front desk's mind. We have young children and had stated we needed two adjoining rooms at time of reservations and that was the rooms booked. The front desk informed us it hadn't happened but we were catty corner to the other room. Mom was not happy but if it was across the hall, I was willing to allow it to be after the front desk told us there was no other options since they were fully booked. We got upstairs and found the room for the kids was actually three doors down the hall. The front desk rep at best hadn't done his homework and at worst had lied to us.
We called downstairs and said this arrangement was unacceptable. They said they would call back and see what they could do. We waited 15 minutes and no call back, it was af if we didn't exist. Then the bellhop who had been waiting took matters into his own hand and called someone else, who lo and behold found two "empty" rooms in the fully booked hotel. These rooms were still not next to each other as we had asked but were at the end of the hall separated by one door which was something a bit more paltable to us.

We moved downstairs and then requested our fridge that we had put in for with the reservation. The response was, no fridge. We needed a fridge for one of the kids had special dietary restrictions. They finally got us a fridge which was supposedly for the employees. We had the most unpleasant man bring it up, the absolute begrudging look in his eyes and in his mannerisms told us that he had other places to be or maybe that we had just taken his fridge, sorry about that old chap better speak to your employer.

Finally a hour after check-in we settled in and I had to do some work. What do you know, they charge for Wi-Fi access. I mumbled something about this being the last hotel in the US, nickle and diming on Wi-Fi. I of course agreed to pay for it AND my connection ends up being slower then molasses. I call the front desk and they explain how AT&T is out throughout the East Coast and that unfortunately the Wi-Fi is unavailable or will be really slow. I check my AT&T I-Phone and it seems to be working perfectly fine, another run around with the front desk.

The next morning my wife met the assistant manager and told over our story. The manager still did not take the initiative and asked my wife what would you like. We asked for one night comped, which was given. I think even this was a fail on the part of the manager who should have made the call and not asked us what we think should be received. This is your job and the errors and the manner in which it was dealt with was unacceptable. I would've been throwing the kitchen sink at us to make us happy and being proactive but what do I know I work in finance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
HyattRegencyReston, Assistant Hotel Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear ramblindave,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. I can assure you that this type of customer service is not indicative of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback as it assists us in improving our service. In reaction to your review, I have personally followed up with the departments you referenced in your response to address your concerns. If you would like to discuss this with me directly, please feel free to contact me. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future and to deliver the service you and your family deserve at our hotel.

Michael Moskowitz, Assistant Hotel Manager
michael.moskowitz@hyatt.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

What a great hotel. Walk out of the Hyatt and into Reston's Town Center. Love this hotel. Room was spacious around- 500 sqft with seating area. Good value with a nice buffet breakfast. Lots of parking. Great place for reunions. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2011
HyattRegencyReston, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Ourcomments2010,

Thank you for taking time to post your review. It is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our hotel, the accommodations and Reston Town Center. We are fortunate to have such a great location with the many restaurants, shops and movie theater for our guests to enjoy during their visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

David Eisenman

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!