“Outstanding Property with Overpriced Amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Reston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Outstanding Property with Overpriced Amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

This hotel was the perfect travel solution in many ways. First, location, location, location! I had a meeting at a business in the Reston Town Center and chose this hotel because it was two blocks from the offices. This proximity, combined with the free airport shuttle and the restaurants, shops and entertainment that surrounded it meant that I saved a lot of money by not having to rent a car.

In addition, the staff was among the friendliest I've seen at a hotel. As soon as we boarded the shuttle at the airport, the driver was passed out free water bottles from his cooler, and as he drove he gave us a useful orientation to the Town Center and to the hotel. The gentleman who checked me in was also very nice, and he gave me a corner room that had two large windows instead of the normal one, and this really enhanced my stay by letting lots of natural light into my room.

The fitness center deserves a nod, with modern cardio machines and personal TVs built right in - you can borrow earphones too.

Of course, it wasn't perfect. I skipped the hotel buffet breakfast in favor of a cheaper one at the Panera Bread, which is also inside the hotel. The pool is indoors, a drag during the beautiful Virginia summer, and has very limited hours. The internet, while probably not costing more than other comparable hotels, is still outrageous at $10 per 24 hours of access time. Additionally, I just wanted to relax in my room during one night of my stay, but I wasn't about to order a movie through the hotel system with prices ranging from $12.99 to $19.99. If I wanted to, I could have saved 95% off the cost of one movie by walking across the street and getting it out of the DVD kiosk at the supermarket. Even going to the movie theater in Town Center would have cost less!

My only other complaint was that my room faced the heart of Town Center and on Friday night there was a rock concert going on until about 10 PM. Even on a high floor there was quite a bit of noise, but at least it had ended by the time I wanted to go to bed.

Overall a convenient location, comfortable accomodations with a first-rate staff, but horribly overpriced for the add-ons.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face Town Center
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
HyattRegencyReston, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
ColoradoDad:

Thank you for taking time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the convenience of our great location in Reston Town Center and friendly encounters with our staff. We were disappointed to hear that you did not find your stay to be absolutely perfect. You are correct, there are fees associated with internet access and in-room pay-per-view movies, however HBO is provided complimentary in-room for future stays. We hope to see you again should your travel plans bring you back to Northern Virginia.

Carol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

In all fairness, it wasn't the hotel's fault that I had flown into Reagan National Airport; as it is not convenient from Reagan National Airport; however this hotel is very convenient to Dulles airport with shuttle service.
The location makes it less convenient to go to D.C. at night by Metro after business/conference concluded before dinnertime daily.
Lack of access to Metro is less of a problem if you just want to work, sleep and eat. Plenty of good restaurants and shops in Reston, VA.
The room was very attractive and clean however minor things like stuck shower button.
Has a room safe which is always a plus!
Very attentive staff and front desk. they are 6 stars!
A nice Panera restaurant accessible from the off-lobby area.
Nice fitness room with easy to use equpment , lots of treadmills, and free weights and exercise balls.
Has massage on-site too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

New member of their Gold club thingy, so an upgrade to best available room on a high floor had me looking forward to what would be behind the door. My expectations were higher. Much. One night for a nice, standard business room (with tiny bath and noisy work going on in the smelly adjacent room): $300. Hilton or Sheraton would be half this for the same room, probably without the neighbour noise too. $2/min for a long distance call (I couldn't find a rate sheet in-room and assumed I'd pay plenty - which I was okay with - but not that much! The same cost as it would have been should I have used my UK mobile (with O2's rip-off roaming call rates) to make the call. So, value was rather poor. Location was great if you need to be town for a meeting. I'd still recommend as the quality and comfort levels were high, so long as you get a very very good deal, don't mind having a tub slightly larger than a shower basin and you use your cell. Or if you're 'roaming' buy a US SIM like I'm going to go and do right now.

• Stayed May 2011
HyattRegencyReston, Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Coinboy,

Thank you for taking time to review your visit with us here at Hyatt Regency Reston. We were pleased to hear that you joined the Hyatt Gold Passport program, but sorry to hear that were not completely satisfied with your stay. We strive to provide our guests with the 4-diamond service we are known for. When your travels require the need to make calls from your guest room, I would suggest reserving Hyatt's Business Plan accommodations. For an additional $30/night you would receive free local & long distance calls within the US and Canada, in addition to complimentary wireless internet, breakfast for one, and more. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future to surpass your expectations.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed here, for a trip to Washington DC. And all I could say is it was GREAT. We got a good teal and we were SHOCKED when we walked into our rooms, the rooms where HUGE, my room had a living room probably the size of my living area at home! It was crazy! Beds couldn't be more comfy, and the service was great, despite the slow check in do to the person booking 3 rooms ahead of us. I couldn't be happier, the bathrooms where amazingly clean, and updated, If I ever go to Virginia again, I will be sure to stop here!

• Stayed June 2010
HyattRegencyReston, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Reston, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Trevor4travel,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Washington, DC area.

Chadds Ford, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Great hotel in Reston. Excellent value, service, location, and amenities.

• Stayed March 2011
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

attached to a very complete complex with shops, movies, outdoor space, this highly polished, sophisticated, elegant and civilized property treated us like royalty; no it did not hurt that the buffet breakfast was included in our $99 rate, otherwise $21.95 would have been a bit too high

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We attended a wedding reception in Reston Town Center and decided to use it as an excuse to stay the night. We've stayed at Hyatt Regencies in the past with mixed reviews (Belleview, WA -- excellent, SF -- just average) but the Hyatt Regency in Reston was excellent. The hotel was very nice and clean. The room looked almost new and the bed was very comfortable. The location was perfect for us as the hotel is in the Town Center which has many restaurants. I don't think I would use this hotel as a base to visit DC though as it is a bit far. There was free parking and we paid a small amount extra for the "Breakfast Rate". The breakfast was very good and worth the minimal rate increase. (I wouldn't pay the stated price on the menu though which was ~$20.) Our room was ~$129 and we thought the price was quite reasonable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Reston? Share your experiences!