“Spotty customer service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Reston Heights

Save Saved
You added Westin Reston Heights to your Saves list
Westin Reston Heights
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11750 Sunrise Valley Drive, (Opening May 20, 2008), Reston, VA 20191   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Reston
Tucson
“Spotty customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed here for a local meeting. Location is great, near Dulles and shopping. The restaurant, Vinifera, is quite lovely, especially the outdoor seating, with excellent food and fantastic, friendly service, and priced typically for a Westin. For breakfast, paying close to $20 for 2 scrambled eggs and a bowl of fruit just seemed high, but that's, again, typical for the area and a Westin. The room was quite comfortable - gotta love that Westin Heavenly Bed! However, the front desk personnel presented a mixed bag on service while I was there. Some were extremely attentive and helpful. Others presented a cooler-than-thou vibe that made it feel like being friendly was an imposition to them. Upon check out, I questioned a room service charge, first with a front desk clerk who was so busy with an internal staff phone call that he couldn't even speak to me (take care of the customer in front of you first is usually the rule). So, he called in someone else and after some research, it became evident that the room service menus in the rooms were different from what they charged -- my menu had lower prices. I pointed this out, the woman shrugged and said, "I thought those menus were corrected." No apology, no acknowledgement of why I might be confused or upset, just a statement. When she saw that wasn't a good response, she offered to have the manager call. That was a week ago - of course, no call. They could have apologized and I would have been happy. They could have given me a $4 credit and I would have been happy. They did neither...so I would say that their attention to customer service needs a bit of improvement in that department.

Green Features: Get $5 credit or 500 Starpoints if you opt out of housekeeping. I would have rather had the points, but didn't get a choice. Nice program, well done.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KieranS366, Front Office Manager at Westin Reston Heights, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear RinconTraveler

Thank you for giving us your feedback it is very important to us and we are happy to hear that you able to enjoy our restaurant Vinifera and all it has to offer. We are also glad to read that our rooms meet your expectations. I truly apologize that during your visit that you did not receive a consistent level of customer service. Please accept our sincerest apologies; I hope we will get a chance to prove to you that we can exceed your expectations and deliver great service that will make you feel at home and with care.

Safe travels

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Anselmo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Traveled here for business. Close to Dulles. Nice people at the front desk. Good shuttle service to the local office park. The wine bar was a good place to meet for a conversation.

The Internet connection was expensive and dropped connection constantly. I could not use my iPhone as a hot spot. I worked late and could not get room service despite the menu claiming to provide late night options after 11 pm. There is literally NOTHING in the area in walking distance, so you are stuck at the hotel and out of luck. If housekeeping cleaned my room in three nights, I saw no evidence of it. They charge premium rates and charge your card in advance of the stay with no cancellation options.

It's an OK experience with some nice features, but not worth the premium and headaches.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KieranS366, Front Office Manager at Westin Reston Heights, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you BobFitz2012, for giving us your feedback it is very important to us and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and great experience while at the Westin. We are delighted to hear that our staff was nice and meet your expectations, we are also glad that you able to enjoy the great ambiance that our restaurant Vinifera has to offer.

I do apologize that the room cleanliness and internet service did not meet your expectations. I will share this with the staff and we hope to have you here again in the near future.
lb,il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We recently stayed at the Reston Westin and frankly thought the only reason for the hefty price was proximity to DC. First, the pluses. The front desk personnel in general were helpful . This was particularly true for Alexis who was unfailingly pleasant and helpful from the moment we checked in until we left the next day. Also, the self parking is reasonable and a shared hotel shuttle is provided to the town center where there are decent restaurants. As for the negatives our room was dark without much of a view. The halls were dark as well. The air conditioning unit seemed directed at one bed more than the other. We had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning and while the hostess was pleasant the wait staff which at times seemed to disappear gave the impression that any request was a bother. As for the quality of the omelet and hash browns I would rate them on par with many fast food places, but of course at a much higher price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear chr_8

We are happy to receive your thoughts on your stay with us recently and thank you for taking your time out to write us. It is pleasant to read that you received excellent service from the front desk agent Alexis during your stay. We are honored that she was a part of making your stay pleasant and exceeded your expectations..
We do work very hard to provide exceptional service to each guest during their stay and are excited that she is achieving just that. I do apologize that the room conditions and our restaurant Vinifera did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will allow us to improve those areas of service and meet your expectations

We look forward to having you here again at the Westin.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I booked this hotel on Priceline for a portion of the Memorial Day weekend. The staff was very friendly, the room was great. Parking garage was okay, but a bit of a squeeze for a full size truck. About a 20-30 minute drive to the Capital depending on traffic.

Restaurant was a bit overpriced. Surrounding restaurants were very limited.

Not exactly pet friendly. Sure your pet can stay with you, but their policy states you can't leave the pet in the room at all without someone attending to it. Of course if you intend to take care of a business meeting, or tour around DC, this probably isn't going to work out. I have a well behaved dog and took the chance leaving him in the room. If your dog isn't absolutely stellar when you are gone, I highly suggest NOT doing what I did.

For the price, the hotel doesn't seem to offer the quality it should. I'm sitting in a Holiday Inn writing this review that is just as nice in the room and cost me about 1/3rd of what the Westin did.

The bed was surprisingly stiff. And one personal peeve of mine, they use flat bottom sheets on the bed. I HATE flat bottom sheets. Such a high dollar place should spring the money and time to use fitted sheets. I despise waking up in the morning after moving around at night and find that I am laying on a bare mattress or mattress pad. Gross.

Overall, it is a nice place, but I don't think I will be booking one again.

Green Features: They do offer a $5 gift card for each day that you skip housekeeping good for use in the restaurant in the building. Almost makes it worth eating there and it does do a little good for the environment.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jeremiah T

Thank you for giving us your feedback it is very important to us and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience while at the Westin. We are delighted to hear that our staff was very friendly and that the room was great. I do apologize that the heavenly bed did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will allow us to improve our service and meet your expectations.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will reconsider visiting us again and we wish you safe travels.
dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Overall a nice hotel. Seemed to be a lot of business people staying there. I've heard the patio is really nice during the summer, but they hadn't opened it yet when I was there. Not much in the area but close to the Reston Town Center and they have a free shuttle, but I didn't use it.

Pros:
-Fast check-in and check-out
-Booked a romantic package with wine and strawberries which was cheaper than just the room itself
-Breakfast was ok, nothing great
-Mostly quiet room
-Nice variety of wine in the bar
-Plenty of free parking
-Room was clean

Cons:
-Called front desk and it just rang and rang. Gave up and called 5 minutes later and someone picked up quickly.
-No happy hour in the bar, even though the website mentioned they had a happy hour
-Internet cost - this really bugs me and almost caused me to not book the hotel
-Intermittent fan noise in room (we were in a corner room and I asked for a quiet room)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear RoamRoam,

Thank you for giving us your feedback it is very important to us and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience while at the Westin. We are delighted to hear that that overall your stay was nice and you were able to enjoy your romantic getaway with our many amenities and wine selection. We are also glad that the check-in and location of your room met your expectations. I do apologize that you experienced problems with the internet and that our customer service did not meet your expectations.Your feedback will allow us to improve our service and meet your expectations.

We hope you will visit us again and safe travels.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights. Hotel is fine except that the wifi authentication doesn't support Apple devices properly. It worked fine for my Windows laptop, but both myself and my colleague found that it would not connect properly to our iPhones. With several tries and lots of playing around with various settings it would eventually connect; however every time we left the hotel it would disconnect and you would need to start the convoluted process all over again.

Very frustrating - the authentication process seems very old-school... likely because they are still trying to charge $12/day for wifi for some guests. I wouldn't recommend the hotel if you have an iPhone or iPad and hope to connect to wifi.

Also don't follow their recommended 5-mile running route, as it takes you along side a busy 4-lane road with only intermittent sidewalks. You are better to makeup your own route.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KieranS366, Front Office Manager at Westin Reston Heights, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear canucksenator

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Westin Reston Heights! We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us and consider it a gem. I do apologize that you experienced many problems with the WiFi connections and we will be addressing these problems that you encountered while staying with us so that it is not a reoccurring issue.
I hope that you will choose us when staying in Reston again so we can provide you with an experience to be expected from a Westin.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I recently had a two night stay at the Westin in Reston Heights. I have stayed here twice before- the first time being a few years ago when the hotel was brand new. It now has a slightly worn look. My room was relatively large and comfortable but the bath faucet would not shut off completely, and drip, drip, dripped continuously. The Vinifera restaurant is a standout! I would eat there again. The hotel's location is OK (if one has a car, which I did not) but it is not as convenient as being at the Reston Town Center (e.g. at the Hyatt). There is pretty much nothing to do in the area where the Westin is located - no shops or coffee bars near the hotel. There is a shuttle van that takes guest free of charge to the Reston Town Center, but the wait for an available van can be long. It is possible to walk to the Town Center if you like a moderate walk but I would not do it alone at night.

Green Features: I loved the fact that there is a rebate if one does not have the room serviced. A great policy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
KieranS366, Front Office Manager at Westin Reston Heights, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you Travelfan48105, for giving us your feedback it is very important to us and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experience while at the Westin. We are delighted to hear that you chose to stay with us again, we are also glad that you able to dine in our restaurant Vinifera and indulge in the great menu items they have to offer. Thank you again for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us, we hope to see you again.
Be Well and safe travels

Been to Westin Reston Heights? Share your experiences!