“Okay Carbonara but the bread is too die for!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
georgia
“Okay Carbonara but the bread is too die for!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

After an exhausting day, I picked up dinner to go. The menu is huge, but ever since I had my first carbonara in NYC thirty years ago I have been in love with Carbonara. I had an order of carbonara which came with salad (caesar) and bread. The Carbonara wasn't bad I just wouldn't call it carbonara. It had huge chunks of onion mixed with bacon in a creamy sauce which I might have liked better if there had been more sauce. The Caesar salad was a Caesar salad. Let's talk bread! This bread was like a foccacia without the herbs and spices or anything on top of it. The bread is good enough to eat by itself. Sal's was very popular and you could eat her for weeks and never eat the same thing twice.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Elkton, Virginia
“VERY EXPENSIVE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We dropped in wanting Italian food Friday night. The food was very expensive. I'm not sure what is going on with all these Italian restaurants. The prices are crazy! We ordered an appetizer to share and two pasta meals. It was $52!!!!!
The service was very good though!

Pigeon Forge, TN
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I see why it is ranked #1.

I wanted to drink the Italian dressing, it was so good. Fresh crisp salad, great garlic knots, and an amazing and HUGE ziti. I had enough food for two people!!

Joey was the best server I've had in recent memory. Attentive, informative, and entertaining. I felt appreciated and not rushed. He even shared a few great ideas for photo ops in the area!! I really appreciate the hospitality and great service!!!!

Will be back, for sure!

Raleigh, NC
“Reasonable Italian food for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

OK, it's not New York, but Sal's serves up reasonable Italian food at almost reasonable prices. I dined here on a business trip to Radford and found it to be a typical Italian American restaurant with all the usual options--pastas, sandwiches, salads, etc. The menu is pretty extensive (check it out on TA), and you can spend a little or a lot depending on your tastes. I ordered the sausage and pepper sandwich, an Italian staple, to test the place out. The sausage could have been a little more Italian, with more seasoning, but it was OK for around $8. I couldn't tell if there was a wine menu or liquor license. My dining partners had salads which seemed OK and a steak sandwich. I wouldn't rave about this place, but given the limited options in Radford, it seemed OK and worth going to. Service was by what appeared to be Radford college students--friendly and generally efficient.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Radford, Virginia
“Best in Radford!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Sal's offers something Italian for everyone! Great food and very community focused ownership! Nothing beats Sal's for Italian cuisine in Radford!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Sal's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sal's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.