“Excellent B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Radford
Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia Beach
“Excellent B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stopped to see our son in Radford and chose to stay overnight at Nesselrod. Although we are not world travelers and are easily satisfied this B&B was very satisfying. Sean greeted us with a smile and an offer to rest while our rooms wrote being prepared. The facility is in great shape and the grounds were immaculate. I would highly recommend this facility

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having contributed to NPR's fall phonathon, we were fortunate to be winners in a random drawing for an overnight stay in the Nesselrod B&B, along with an all weather radio and a large box of cheeses. We were delighted to stay in the Enchanted Garden Room, which overlooked the New River from one dormer window and from the dormer window on the other side of the house we looked down on the formal garden. The room was very comfortable including the bed and bedding, and the wall-to-wall hand painted mural was charming and lovely. Our host, Mark, prepared our delicious breakfast, helped by doggie friend, Buddy, who kept an eye on things. We walked around the property, noticed the sunken garden, numerous flower beds, various seating areas, and the gazebo and realized why the Inn is host to so many outdoor events during the summer months - weddings, graduation parties, concerts and festivals. Our weather was beautiful, and we want to come back again. Thanks to NPR!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed in the Nesselrod for two nights on a business trip to Radford University. Perched on a hill above the river, this B&B has pleasant gardens and a Victorian feel. The house is very nicely appointed, with cove moldings, bay windows, and chair rails. The main floor has a nice living room/sitting area with a fireplace. I was put into a room on the first floor that had extremely ornate decor, almost Louis IV, just a bit over the top. The proprietors moved me to a second-floor room on the second night, insisting that it would be better (I had not complained about the first room). The second room was larger, with a fireplace and excellent decor, somewhat eclectic (but the fireplace wouldn't turn on). There was an in-wall ironing board in the first room but not in the second. On my first night, there was no hot water, which wasn't a problem until I awoke in the morning and tried to take a shower: no hot water. Sean went to the basement to flip a switch, but I didn't have time to wait until the water heater made the water warm enough, so I took a lukewarm shower: not fun. The first floor room had no separate heating control while the second-floor room did. The rooms themselves were very comfortable, including the bedding and beds. Beware that there are only one or two hangers for clothes and no closets, and also that the walls are very thin: you can easily hear voices from the other rooms and the sounds of creaking floors as people walk. However, this is not a major liability since it's an old house, and guests at B&Bs tend to retire at a reasonable hour. Sean is a terrific cook and the breakfasts are to die for. There's a resident chocolate lab named Buddy who is a great addition to the property. Free WiFi service is also included, and plentiful free parking. Small details need attending to, such as jams on the table for toast/muffins, but any lapses are immediately accommodated on request. Overall, one of the best places to stay in Radford (not many other choices), with very attentive owners.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms if possible; they're all really different.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lorton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our entire family stayed at Nesselrod for our daughter's pinning and graduation from RU's nursing program. Sean was amazing; he had wonderful breakfasts for us (even for the overflow family members staying in a near by hotel) every morning, and also cooked up an amazing family dinner straight from the pages of Southern Living magazine to include a most wonderful red velvet cheese cake a foot tall!!! Everyone was so cozy comfortable at the inn. Nesselrod's was our home away from home and was it just perfect! Thank you Mark and Sean for providing gracious accommodations and making our daughter's graduation weekend a memorable event!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this charming B&B in Radford for 3 nights in the Lily of the Valley Room. It was very spacious, quiet and comfortable and even offered two fireplaces (second one was situated by the enormous soaker bathtub). Our daughter was in the amazing Oriental Lily loft that came with its own private garden. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts each morning were made to order by Sean and included home made zucchini bread, or fruit parfaits, plus eggs benedict, biscuits and gravy, or wonderful omelets, with apple butters and jellies all made in house. The table was always set beautifully and coffee and juices were in ample supply. The owner, Mark, was kind and attentive to our every need. This is a place not be missed if you have the good fortune to be in this part of the country.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I may be partial because I graduated from Radford University, but out of all my travels, this B&B is what I call "complete heaven." The owners are so sweet, accommodating, and you'll find the luxury and sophistication of a high-end hotel in Europe in this sweet retreat. The grounds up-hold the ideal southern garden charm and beauty while the view is serine. It makes me miss the south even more when I visit with its quaint, simple, yet classy atmosphere. It's the "Only" place to stay when you're visiting that gorgeous area of America. It has never disappointed and I doubt it ever will.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I travelled four hours from Northern Virginia to Radford to participate in a 3-day Batik workshop. When looking for overnight accommodations prior to my trip, I searched Travel Advisor and learned about the Nesselrod. The reviews were excellent and so was my stay. My expectations were high and I was not disappointed.

The first thing I noticed driving up to the entrance of the home were the beautiful grounds. Sean the Innkeeper greeted me at the door. After showing me to my room we chatted for a bit and then he gave me a tour. Sean’s hospitality did not go unnoticed; it enhanced my overall experience... he was welcoming, warm, responsive, accommodating and cooked a spectacular made-to-order breakfast. It was obvious that Sean enjoys running the B&B and that he is committed to making you feel at home. I am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!