“An unexpected treat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Radford B&B and Inns
ledyard
“An unexpected treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Thanks again TripAdvisor for turning me on to this gem! Stayed a night in the suite, which turned out to be the most expensive night ever...Damn Temperpedic bed was so comfortable I have one being delivered :) The grounds are estate like, meticulously maintained, and staffed by very friendly people from Mark the owner to Sean the chef. As I told them, it was like staying with friends. If you are looking for ambiance, a very clean comfortable room, and a great breakfast, this is the place. And thanks for the suggestion to have lunch at Sharkey's, another home run!

Room Tip: The suite has it's own entrance...like staying in a cottage!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I came to Southwest Virginia for a special wedding. Rather than stay at a chain motel near the interstate, we chose the Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast, just across the New River from Radford, VA. We were very happy with our choice.

The Inn sits on a bluff overlooking the New River and City of Radford. The grounds are gorgeous, and play host to outdoor weddings in a very romantic setting.

The house itself is cozy and uncluttered, with five lodging options ranging from a two-room suite upstairs to the Thomas Room on the first floor (where we stayed). Our room was large, clean, and filled with light. The queen sized bed was comfortable. The shower put out plenty of hot water. Our only issue with the Thomas Room was that, even though it had a pull-down ironing board, it lacked a closet. The innkeeper, Mark, has instead provided a decorative set of large hooks on the back of the bathroom door. These allowed us to hang the dressy clothes we had brought to wear to the wedding. Still, a small closet or cupboard would have been useful.

Sean, who greeted us warmly on our arrival, lives at the inn. He cooks, cleans and does general interior and exterior maintenance. He made us feel at home from the moment we arrived. His breakfasts were tasty and abundant. Our favorites were the fresh fruit cup with granola and yogurt, and his perfectly-cooked crisp bacon.

When we return to the New River Valley, we will stay again at the Nesselrod, where we felt welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My colleague and I have had the privilege of staying at the Nesselrod on numerous occassions and look forward to every return. It has become our western home and Mark is the perfect host. His caring manner and commitment to excellence is evident in all the details. He is present and available, but you always feel you have all the room you need. When you pull up to the Nesselrod, you will know instantly that you have arrived at the perfect spot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

What a beautiful inn nestled in the mountains right above the New River. Nesselrod on the New is a 4 hour drive from our home in Northern Virginia. If you are looking for simple elegance mixed with peace and quiet, this is the perfect retreat. The staff is wonderful and extremely accommodating, while the homemade breakfasts are delicious and beautifully presented with fresh herbs from the garden. We will be returning in the fall to watch the leaves change colors!
Susan T.
Alexandria

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nesselrod helped us put on the best wedding ever! Mark and his staff helped us set up the morning of the wedding and helped us with cleanup the day after. We had an unexpected storm shortly into our reception and the Nesselrod staff swiftly moved our small wedding inside until the storm passed. The bartender and wedding planner quickly became cake servers so our reception could continue. There was a problem with our caterer shortly before our reception started but I didnt have to worry about it at all because the Nesselrod wedding planners solved the problem and took care of everything! The rooms were very comfy and the perfect place to get ready the morning of the wedding. One of our favorite parts about having a wedding there was that there is no hurry for the reception to be over. You can hang out all night and then retire to your room when you're ready. And the breakfast that was included in our wedding package was delicious and it was a great time to hang out with our family and talk about the night before. Overall we had a great time and are sooo glad we had our wedding at Nesselrod. We would hands down do it all over again...even with the rain! These people are the best!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently stayed here for my sister's graduation from Radford. My mom is a big fan of the place, but it was my first time staying. Everything from the beautiful interior and outdoor patio and gardens down to the very warm welcome by Mark (owner) and Sean (innkeeper) made me feel right at home immediately. I didn't get the awkward feeling of intruding on the staff that people sometimes get when staying at a B&B. Sean told us to feel free to walk right into the kitchen and help ourselves whenever we wanted. Mark has an incredible knowledge of the history of Radford and loved to share it with my family and me. His absolutely adorable chocolate lab, Buddy, was a perfect addition at the house for any guests missing their pets at home. For my sister's after-graduation celebration, Mark and Sean hosted my entire family and sister's friends with a delicious 4-course meal (including the best dessert I've had in a long time) and even switched the seating to inside at a moment's notice (stormy weather) without a hitch. The breakfast each morning was to die for...especially Mark's homemade grape jam. He gave me my own jar for free too. I highly recommend this place to anyone needing to stay in Radford, Blacksburg, or just as its own destination. Thanks, Mark, for all of your hospitality!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bon Air, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

In searching Tripadvisor for reasonably priced hotels in the Radford area for a quick business trip, I stumbled upon Nesselrod B&B. I have nothing against standard chain hotels, but I sometimes prefer more of a personal touch, and that is exactly what we got at Nesselrod. Mark (the owner) and Sean (the Innkeeper) were incredibly warm and accommodating. My colleagues and I arrived in the evening and Mark offered us dinner, but we didn't want to impose because there was another dinner party already in progress. On Mark's recommendation, we took the short drive to Sal's restaurant and we were not disappointed - it's a family owned Italian restaurant, good service, great food. When we returned to the B&B we skipped the complimentary drinks in the pub (it was a long travel day, but we'll certainly take advantage next time!) and retreated to our own rooms after requesting a 7AM breakfast. The rooms at Nesselrod each have their own bathrooms, and are clean and well maintained. I slept very soundly (which never happens for me at chain hotels). In the morning we made our way down to the breakfast nook where Sean served a FULL and delicious breakfast (fruit/granola/yogurt parfait, then bacon, eggs, potatoes, and unlimited coffee and juice). Mark assisted us with our bags and ushered us out of the B&B in perfect timing to make our 9AM meeting in town. We felt very spoiled considering our days on the road usually begin with rushed and outrageously priced breakfasts at lukewarm buffets in chain hotel lobbies. I only have one request/suggestion. It would be nice if the wifi login credentials were provided at check in (or left on the desks in the guest rooms). By the time we realized we couldn't log in, it was very late and I hesitated to call and ask... Regardless, we will DEFINITELY be back. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radford
La Quinta Inn Radford
Hampton Inn Dublin
#1 of 5 in Dublin
4.0 of 5 stars 181 reviews
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg

Been to Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!