“Wedding Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Radford
Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
7535 Lee Highway, Radford, VA 24141   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Radford B&B and Inns
Winchester, Virginia
“Wedding Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nesselrod helped us put on the best wedding ever! Mark and his staff helped us set up the morning of the wedding and helped us with cleanup the day after. We had an unexpected storm shortly into our reception and the Nesselrod staff swiftly moved our small wedding inside until the storm passed. The bartender and wedding planner quickly became cake servers so our reception could continue. There was a problem with our caterer shortly before our reception started but I didnt have to worry about it at all because the Nesselrod wedding planners solved the problem and took care of everything! The rooms were very comfy and the perfect place to get ready the morning of the wedding. One of our favorite parts about having a wedding there was that there is no hurry for the reception to be over. You can hang out all night and then retire to your room when you're ready. And the breakfast that was included in our wedding package was delicious and it was a great time to hang out with our family and talk about the night before. Overall we had a great time and are sooo glad we had our wedding at Nesselrod. We would hands down do it all over again...even with the rain! These people are the best!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently stayed here for my sister's graduation from Radford. My mom is a big fan of the place, but it was my first time staying. Everything from the beautiful interior and outdoor patio and gardens down to the very warm welcome by Mark (owner) and Sean (innkeeper) made me feel right at home immediately. I didn't get the awkward feeling of intruding on the staff that people sometimes get when staying at a B&B. Sean told us to feel free to walk right into the kitchen and help ourselves whenever we wanted. Mark has an incredible knowledge of the history of Radford and loved to share it with my family and me. His absolutely adorable chocolate lab, Buddy, was a perfect addition at the house for any guests missing their pets at home. For my sister's after-graduation celebration, Mark and Sean hosted my entire family and sister's friends with a delicious 4-course meal (including the best dessert I've had in a long time) and even switched the seating to inside at a moment's notice (stormy weather) without a hitch. The breakfast each morning was to die for...especially Mark's homemade grape jam. He gave me my own jar for free too. I highly recommend this place to anyone needing to stay in Radford, Blacksburg, or just as its own destination. Thanks, Mark, for all of your hospitality!

Bon Air, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

In searching Tripadvisor for reasonably priced hotels in the Radford area for a quick business trip, I stumbled upon Nesselrod B&B. I have nothing against standard chain hotels, but I sometimes prefer more of a personal touch, and that is exactly what we got at Nesselrod. Mark (the owner) and Sean (the Innkeeper) were incredibly warm and accommodating. My colleagues and I arrived in the evening and Mark offered us dinner, but we didn't want to impose because there was another dinner party already in progress. On Mark's recommendation, we took the short drive to Sal's restaurant and we were not disappointed - it's a family owned Italian restaurant, good service, great food. When we returned to the B&B we skipped the complimentary drinks in the pub (it was a long travel day, but we'll certainly take advantage next time!) and retreated to our own rooms after requesting a 7AM breakfast. The rooms at Nesselrod each have their own bathrooms, and are clean and well maintained. I slept very soundly (which never happens for me at chain hotels). In the morning we made our way down to the breakfast nook where Sean served a FULL and delicious breakfast (fruit/granola/yogurt parfait, then bacon, eggs, potatoes, and unlimited coffee and juice). Mark assisted us with our bags and ushered us out of the B&B in perfect timing to make our 9AM meeting in town. We felt very spoiled considering our days on the road usually begin with rushed and outrageously priced breakfasts at lukewarm buffets in chain hotel lobbies. I only have one request/suggestion. It would be nice if the wifi login credentials were provided at check in (or left on the desks in the guest rooms). By the time we realized we couldn't log in, it was very late and I hesitated to call and ask... Regardless, we will DEFINITELY be back. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our family had the pleasure of staying at Nesselrod for my son's graduation from Virginia Tech a few weeks ago. We reserved the four rooms in the main house in May of 2012 for the May 2013 graduation, and we feel so fortunate to have stayed at Nesselrod. It only took about 20 minutes to get to the Blacksburg campus for the graduation ceremonies, and the beautiful setting of the B&B was worth the few extra miles.

All of the guest rooms were lovely. There is one room on the main floor of the Inn, and three rooms upstairs. All of the rooms are very private ad have their own en suite bathrooms. My husband and I stayed in the Lily of the Valley room, which is spacious and comfortable. The steam shower was amazing, and there is also a big bathtub with a fireplace next to it. The bed was very comfortable and the room well furnished.

The Inn is a popular site for weddings, and the beautiful grounds made it easy to see why. It is a very peaceful setting, with wonderful flowers and a charming gazebo. There is room to walk and look at the birds, the occasional bunny, and the amphitheater set in the woods.

I can't say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of the owner, Mark Gordon, who was so accommodating and patient through several very long distance phone calls. Mark has a clear vision for what he wants Nesselrod to be, and he has created a very warm and welcoming place to stay. We were encouraged to use the house as our own (including raiding the refrigerator if we got hungry during the night). Nesselrod is elegant but comfortable, the kind of place you can kick your shoes off and relax. When we left on Sunday I felt like I was leaving home.

Sean, the innkeeper, deserves extra praise for the delicious breakfasts he prepared, as well as two special meals that he made for us with the busy graduation schedule. I am not sure if he slept while we were there, because every morning when we came down for breakfast, a beautiful table was set with amazing food. Bacon, eggs and biscuits. Homemade cinnamon rolls. French toast made with freshly baked bread. Biscuits and the best sausage gravy any of us had ever tasted.

Mark and Sean encouraged us to have our Saturday night dinner at the Inn rather than fighting for a table at one of the local restaurants, and they pulled together an amazing meal in a matter of hours. We were able to relax and enjoy spending time together, and the food was spectacular. Sean is a very accomplished chef. He was always there when we needed him and we enjoyed getting to know him. Flexibility, talent, and hospitality from both Mark and Sean made our weekend so special.

I highly recommend Nesselrod as a family gathering place, whether for a graduation weekend or for a lucky bride. I can't think of one thing that could have been improved upon; in fact, the perfection of the weekend has been commented on several times since our stay!

Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our family was united there for graduation weekend. The house had been reserved for over a year, so we were excited for it to finally be our time. We were united with family from Australia, Boston, Blacksburg, Richmond and Williamsburg. The whole house was open to us to use as if we were in our own home. Breakfasts were sumptious, and when the rain came down and we decided to "eat In" the chef hurriedly visited the grocery store and came home with what was to become an incrediable evening celebration meal. Owner and Innkeeper did everything we could ask for. Try it, the gardens are exquisite.

Room Tip: We used all the bedrooms and everyone was happy with his lot.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My family and I stayed at Nesselrod for my nephew's graduation from Virginia Tech. The location made it very easy to get back and forth to Blacksburg. We used four of the five well appointed guest rooms and found them all to be quite comfortable. We were the only guests on this particular weekend and had the house to ourselves. This made it feel like Nesselrod was our very own "country house". When we weren't all relaxing in the living room, or outside on the patio, we were in the dining room eating the wonderful meals prepared by Sean. The breakfasts each day were excellent. When Mark (the owner) and Sean (the chef) discovered that we didn't have reservations for a celebratory dinner for our graduate, they offered to prepare our dinner for us as well. With less 6 hours to prepare, they put together a fabulous 3 course meal for 9 people.

Mark and Sean were both gracious hosts and took the best possible care of us. Our party ranged in age from 26-82 and I think we were all impressed by the service and the ambience at Nesselrod. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

My daughter just graduated from Radford University. Her immediate family stayed at the Nesselrod. From the moment I booked our reservation (over a year ago), the owner made it a most memorable experience. He has been the most welcoming, outgoing host I have ever experienced. I have stayed in many, many B & B's. he coordinated a catered dinner for her post graduation celebration, gave us a tour of the local history and made the entire Inn available to us and our extended family for relaxing. I truly felt like I was in his own home. My daughter was thrilled. The Inn is simply beautiful and spacious. Meals are sumptuous. You won't find a better experience anywhere near Radford.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nesselrod Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!