“Challenging but fair” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Golf Courses, Sports
Nashville, Tennessee
“Challenging but fair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Played this course in mid-October and it was in great shape. I am an avid golfer and this was my first experience on a Pete Dye course--I was not disappointed. There are hidden challenges on virtually every hole, so spring for the yardage book so you know what to expect. I loved the small tricky bunkers and undulating fairways--classic Pete Dye design.

On the down side, the greens were smallish and did not hold nearly as well as I expected. Not sure if it was lack of rain, time of year, or just firm greens, but plan on playing short of the hole and letting ball run to flag. Holes can seem close together due to limited to space in the river valley, but that was never a problem for our group. (The scenery and challenge from the New River more than made up for this.)

Beautiful scenery, friendly staff, reasonably priced ($50.00 week day with a cart), and world famous course designer make this worth the drive. Call for directions, chances are your GPS won't get you there.

Visited October 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
“Perfect Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting the River Course in the early fall as the leaves started to change, for my cousin's wedding. As a New Orleans resident, this was a welcome sigh of relief from the humidity and heat. On top of it all, this course was an absolute pleasure to play on. Playing next to the river gives a player the calm serenity he needs to really appreciate being out on the course; the purpose behind it all. When things get frustrating, a quick glimpse of the surrounding foliage and water brings it all back home.

The staff were equally welcoming. When I got there I was immediately greeted by a guy who knew more about golf, and was more passionate about the game than anyone I had met. Additionally, because I had to travel without my clubs, he was kind enough to let me borrow his forged Mizunos, and a putter that played like it was forged on Mount Olympus. The reason he didn't mind was because he would rather play with traditional wooden clubs, more representative of how the game was originally played. Hearing this, in combination with the calm I felt playing alongside an autumn induced riverside made it one of the most unforgettable and peaceful rounds of gold I'd ever played. I would recommend this course to anyone, for more reasons than most other courses could ever offer.

Oh and the pulled pork quesadillas are nothing less than orgasmic.

Visited September 2013
Bracey, VA
9 attraction reviews
“Too many gimmicks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The course is crowded into some flat land next to the New River and so the fairways are narrow and the greens are small. Then the designer had to artificailly makk things worse by filling the fairways and greens with moguls. The club house staff was very helpful amd made me feel welcome even though I was alone. The facility itself, both course and club house, are pristine. Prices are reasonable for seniors Monday through Thursday.

Visited May 2013
Pearisburg, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Great course but dead when I played.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This a great course but the last time I played there it wasn't a good experince. They failed to inform me of a junior tournament when i made our tee time. We had to stay two holes back from them and we caught them quickly. The staff was rude. It is a beautiful and fun course to play but on that trip they had some kind of black fungus on the greens which felt like the ball was coming off the cart path. I would recomend when you call to set up a tee time you make sure there isn't any tournaments because they won't tell you.

Visited August 2012
Radford, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, but tough course”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I live on the Pete Dye course, so see it every day. It is located adjacent to the New River and the views are magnificant. Tough course to play ... beautiful clubhouse on the bluff ... Bull N Bones Restaurant for your eating pleasure.

Visited March 2013