“Great beer, good food, love the fireplace!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Thaxton
“Great beer, good food, love the fireplace!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I love trying various microbrewery craft beers and the River Company didn't disappoint. I had the Peachicot Blonde ale which I enjoyed but others at the table thought was a bit "perfumy". My husband had the Farmhouse Hefeweizen which was also good. Often I will order a flight of beers so I can sample more than one. Unfortunately, The River Company's only flight was 8 beers and that is TOO much for me! There were four of us and we each had different dishes. The lunch menu is rather limited with some of the selections pricey in my opinion for lunch. The soup of the day was jambalaya. It was tasty but lacked the rich seasoning jambalaya should have. The Reuben sandwich (husband's favorite) was good, not great but good. One person had the filet. It was "cut with a fork" tender and well prepared. Another person had the crab cake sandwich. He said the remoulade sauce was wonderful. There were 6 choices for dessert which I thought odd considering the limited lunch menu, but we do love our dessert! The desserts were great, quite decadent and portions were large. So overall, the food is good, it's a lovely building with a nice deck if the weather allows and the service was fine. Just check the menu first to ensure you will find something you want to order at a price you are willing to pay.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saluda
“Never disappointing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We found this restaurant last year and try to get back there at least once a year. Atmosphere is great overlooks the river, wait staff is always pleasant and offers great suggestions. Large open area, however you do not hear the conversations of the diners next to you. Love the fireplace and we always seem to get right beside the FP. Large deck to walk out and what a scenic view it is with the lights over the river to the city. Have not been disappointed by anything at River CO Restaurant & Brewery.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great Beer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stopped here with a group of 14. They did their best to accomodate us. The beer was very good and the reuben that I had was very good. Service was fine. Others at the table all had positive things to say about the place. I read the other reviews, but we had good experience. TWe would go again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Comedy of errors”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Not a smooth running operation at all. Go for the view off the back deck or the beer, but don't have high expectations beyond those. I've been going there since it opened, but I won't be in a rush to go back. Mediocrity seems to be acceptable here despite the non-mediocre pricing.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Radford,VA
“Not All That”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Very limited menu at lunch time. The items that were there, were way overpriced! We each got a 14oz Rib Eye that was $29 each. They had a "upgraded 14 oz. that was $38. It was very tender and tasted fine, but not that much better than anywhere else that has Rib Eyes. Onion rings were OK, but greasy. French Onion soup was aweful. Few onions and a big gooey glob of cheese in the bottom. Not good at all.The server keep our tea glasses filled and was pleasant. This was a celebration of our anniversary. It was our first and last visit here.

• Visited August 2013