“Make sure you request your room” 2 of 5 stars

Super 8 Radford
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1600 Tyler Avenue, I-81 Exit 109, Radford, VA 24141   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Radford
Newport News, Virginia
“Make sure you request your room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We booked this stay through Expedia's "unpublished rates". As soon as the name was revealed, I checked out the reviews and not happy with what I read, I called Expedia but they refused to change it.
We arrived late at night. It was quite and we felt safe. Not bad so far. The hotel lobby didn't say much or smelled which gave me hope. We were assigned a room on the first floor which was also great. The moment we entered the room, it was like getting slapped in the face with 100 smokers blowing smoke on your face. The smell was pungent. I figured just a few hours and it will be over? but it was more than that. A few hours later, I woke up literally gasping for air. Sometimes, after being in a room for a while, you get used to whatever smell is there but not this night. A combination of the smell, the toilet dripping all night, the air conditioner not cooling the room and a very not comfortable bed made this probably the worst night sleep I've had in a while.
At checkout the lady asked how was my stay (with an attitude of not really caring) and I told her about the smell and the toilet dripping and she just looked at me an told me we had a smoking room. Whose at fault here? Expedia? Me? the night attendant? don't know the answer but a simple apology would have done it for me. That never happened.
It's been 2 days since our stay and I am still "tasting" the room. All we took with us went in the laundry immediately after we got home.
All in all, for the price I guess it's alright however, make sure you request a non-smoking room if you don't want to end up with asthma attack.
The one and one good thing: it's only minutes away from Radford University. Great location.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for your feedback! When using other online booking sources you need to have them guarantee your non-smoking room type. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss and offer you a chance to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at this Super 8 for one night, just to sleep. I was there not more than 8 hours and did not want to pay for a more expensive room at the Best Western.

It is a typical Super 8 but my room was very clean and that's all I really was interested in for such a short stay.

The room phone did not work but that is really my only complaint.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for your comments! Our mission is to offer value, clean and friendly service. Hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We recently stayed here while visiting Radford University for Young Alumni Homecoming Weekend. The staff was friendly enough, but didn't tell us anything about the continental breakfast or other hotel info (wi-fi connection). The room was dusty and the bathtub did not look very clean. There was hair on the floor and the towels had hair in them, definitely not the most sanitary of places. Even though we were in a non-smoking room, we could smell smoke the entire time, not to mention the fire alarm went off early in the morning one day. The location is alright, we still had to drive down to campus/downtown. I don't think I would recommend this hotel as I will never stay here again. Just was too run-down and dirty for me.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for posting your comments! Sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly to discuss and offer you another opportunity to visit. We work directly with Radford University for all events and want to continue to offer prefered service to University students,parents and alumni
Germantown, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My daughter and I just needed a place to sleep on our way to a relative's house and my husband found this place on the internet. The price was good, and the manager was helpful and nice, but the whole hotel smelled like cigarettes. Yuck! If this bothers you, I would recommend the La Quinta down the road.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
dallas88, Manager at Super 8 Radford, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thanks for posting your comments! We are pleased that you seleted Super 8 and sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. We are working to improve the guest experience and will work on airing out the hallways in the smoking section.
Hope you will try us again on your next trip to Radford
Erving
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed for 1 night, heading home on 81. A good night sleep for a great price. Room was dated, but clean and comfortable. No fridge in room. Breakfast offerings were packaged muffins,bagels, cereal, and coffee or juice. Grab and go. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte Hall, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Affordable hotel in the college area. Standard room, with not alot of bells and whistles. But the room was clean and the stay was good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is a nice hotel located near a college town and away from I-81. The room is nice and very clean. The tv is older but they have 70+ channels. The rooms are on an inside hallway. It was quiet at night.

The breakfest was OK. There is no room in the lobby to eat, so you have to eat in your room. They do offer trays. They had english and blueberry muffins, cold cereal, box juice, coffee and tea.

Make sure you eat at BT's downtown.

There is not an elevator to the 2nd floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Radford? Share your experiences!