“Great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Radford
Washington, DC
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is a good hotel for a good price. We went for Virginia Tech graduation weekend and were thrilled at the price we payed as everywhere was charging an arm and a leg. Beds are comfortable, bathroom is well stocked, smells clean. No iron in the room but we were able to get one from the front desk with no problem. We did not eat the breakfast, but for the price paid for the room we wouldn't have expected much.

• Stayed April 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
U.S. expats
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Well, the Super 8 in Radford is 1) clean enough, 2) cheap, and 2) fairly easy to find. I think most travelers can do better, though.

Desk staff was unable to print a receipt at check-in or check out. A car alarm went off at an early hour and continued for at least an hour. The staff wrung their hands and said there was nothing they could do, despite having forms requiring every guest's make, model and license plate.

"Continental Breakfast" takes on a whole new meaning as guests are meant to take the one plastic tray from their room, and carry it downstairs, load up their tray and return to their rooms to eat. That's right--there is no dining area. It is a really small dorm style fridge and counter to the left of reception. Guests help themselves to a pathetic assortment of coffee, bagels, english muffins, oatmeal packets. In my entire life on the road, I have never seen such a small assortment of breakfast food. I think there were three english muffins and 1 bagel, and I was not a late riser. I felt that I might have done better by buying my own food from a market in town. Then at least I could have juice, yogurt, maybe a hard boiled egg, cream cheese for the bagel.

Managing a tray filled with breakfast for two, you are then required to go outside, and swipe your key while balancing the tray in one hand, and then somehow pull on the heavy door to open it without dropping anything.

If you are looking for nothing more than a place to sleep, you could stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Emmaus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Unlike most chain motels, this place is located about 2 miles off the Interstate, giving it a very quiet location. The room was clean and good sized, and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Karen Winkle is a very great asset to the establishment at the Super8 in Radford. . She is very helpful and a very sweet person in general. I am very happy to have gotten the opportunity to meet such a generous and caring person. She really does take pride and care in what she does. Because of Karen's dimeanor I will stay there again.
Thank you so much Pam for hiring such a wonderful person, Not such a surprise because you are awesome too!!!

Carolyn & Cliff Hetzko

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I stayed here for one night for student orientation at Radford. I booked it based on price and really had no expectations that it would be great. Check in was easy and pleasant. I was concerned because of the smell of smoke in the lobby but my non-smoking room had absolutely no odor in it (rm 230). I checked the beds, etc as soon as I checked in and they all appeared clean. My only complaint is that I think their cleaning solution leaves a sticky residue on all of the surfaces. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and I slept though the night. There was ample hot water and the shower head was better than expected. My only suggestion is to make sure you have enough towels. I only had one set, which was fine but had to use a hand towel for a bath mat. I did not utilize the free Wi-Fi or breakfast. Overall, I actually thought it was a better value than my stay at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Washington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

I booked this through the Montgomery County website as I was really having a hard time finding a hotel any where near VT. We checked in late (930) and where given probably one of the last rooms they had. It was near the lobby, like in the lobby which wouldnt have been so bad but they have a bell on the front door that chimes everytime someone comes or goes. I didn't sleep the first night, at 450 am I went to the desk to ask to be moved to another room for the that night. No problem at all, we got moved and I had a restfull sleep the following night. The hotel is spotless. The rooms are nice, we had a frig and and a coffemaker which was very nice. In the morning they have fresh bagels, cereal, and coffee or tea. As far as not having someplace to eat , I just took everything back to my room as I always do. Not a big deal, it isn't a large property. I would have to say that the staff is one of the best I have encountered at a hotel, very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Close to VT and Radford
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Stayed one night at the Super 8 when picking our child up from a 'camp' at Radford University. Hotel is basic (no surprise there; it's a Super 8), but room was clean. We'd booked a no-smoking King Suite. We got into town at around 9:30, & checked in. Without going to the room, we went and got something to eat. (Radford is a REALLY small town, and we figured we'd better get something to eat before they rolled the sidewalks up.)

When we got back to the hotel and got our stuff from the car and went to the room, we couldn't get in. Despite numerous tries, neither of our key cards would open the door. The completely disinterested young guy at the desk reported that there was 'nothing (he) could do, short of changing us to another room. He switched us to another 'no-smoking' King Suite, but, when we opened the door, it literally REEKED of smoke. It was, of course, the last King Suite, so we had to accept what was available.... a room with two double beds. Though the rooms supposedly cost the same, it was quite disappointing, as the room was very small. The 'free breakfast' is completely useless...cold cereal and sugary pastries, served on a cabinet top in the lobby (nowhere to sit; nothing you'd really want to eat, anyway). The hotel may be cheaper than others, but, hmmm....what's the adage? "You get what you pay for", and I'd suggest paying for something else.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Radford? Share your experiences!