“A little disappointed” 4 of 5 stars

540.338.9800
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Magnolia's at the Mill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Purcellville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 23rd
“A little disappointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated out 30th anniversary at Magnolias based on a recommendation from a friend. We arrived early and sat at the bar for a drink. Service was great and the bartender was very friendly.

We eventually wandered over the hostess stand where we were promptly seated by a friendly hostess. Our waiter was also very friendly and tentative; they even had a special menu printed with our names wishing us a happy Anniversary. My wife and I each ordered one of the two specials; she ordered the Sea bass and I ordered the Pork loin steak. Both meals were exceptional in taste and presentation. However, the Sea bass had quite a few small bones making it uncomfortable for my wife to eat. I kindly explained to the waiter that he might want to advise the chef of the bones and also make sure you mention this to others when they consider ordering the fish special. The waiter did tell the chef and returned with an apology from the chef. We sent the rest of the fish back because my wife was afraid to eat anymore. My disappointment was that we were never offered anything in place of the fish, not even a free desert. When I was leaving, I mentioned the fish bones to the manager and he too never offered anything more than an apology. I have been to many high end restaurants where if this were to happen, they would bend over backwards to satisfy a customer. I have even been offered a free meal at a chain restaurant when there were bones in my fish.

The fact that the food was great tasting and the service was good is the only reason that I was slightly disappointed with the lack of concern about the bones in the fish. I will probably return to magnolias, but there is no guarantee.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Burke, Virginia
“World class restaurant, reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife is a quilter. Purcellville, VA is home to a great place to buy fabrics, so we have been going up there regularly for years. The fabric store once told us that if we took our receipt to the Magnolia restaurant, we'd get 10% off. We thought we'd give it a try. WOW! This is not the type of restaurant you would expect to find in a small, out of the way town in Virginia. This is what you would expect to see on the Champs d'Elysees or New York City. The setting is a refurbished old woodworking mill. You can tell when you walk in that this place is high-class. The ambience, the staff, the lighting, etc leave you with a sense of quality. The menu is your second hint. This is the food of top notch chefs. When the food arrives, you know that you have found a winner. When you get the check after experiencing an excellent meal, your reaction is: WE HAVE TO RETURN -- OFTEN. And we have. Ever since that first visit.

If you are visiting Northern Virginia, and you want to visit a beautiful small town. try Purcellville. Look at the estates surrounding the town. You will know why the town can support a place like the Magnolia. Stop in to see the Nichols Hardware store - an old hardware store, from the old school. It is a nostalgic visit

Then go to the Magnolia for lunch or dinner. I have been to a number of cities in a number of countries around the world. The Magnolia is one a small handful of my favorite restaurants.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best prime rib ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at this restaurant. The food was very good. One of our friend's who joined us for dinner said it was THE best prime rib she'd ever eaten. She is very picky. We would definitely come again. The salmon was delicious as well. Margaritas were good too. Stewart was polite and very cute but not very attentive. Also we were bothered by a pesky fly and some drips of water from the ceiling AC. Overall a very good restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Watkinsville, Georgia
“COZY and inviting atmosphere! Killer food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Such a quaint town..who would know that this gem had such AMAZING FOOD! The environment is so romantic and the food was outstanding! Superb service and this place ranks as one of my memory's best!

Visited August 2012
northern virginia
“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Saturday lunch for four was very pleasant; we sat outsaide under the awning, the service was prompt and friendly; and our food was wonderful. Fish & chips and fish tacos were both well prepared and nicely presented. The wine prices were reasonable and the overall bill was totally in line with the quality and value. A great stop while exploring local wineries.

• Visited June 2013