“Personality counts for a lot” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 29 things to do in Purcellville
More attraction details
Owner description: Hillsborough Vineyards is a small boutique winery nestled in the scenic hillside outside of Washington, D.C.
Salem, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
“Personality counts for a lot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had out-of-town guests that we brought to some local wineries. I had been hearing about Hillsborough, so we included it in our visit. The view and vista was not in March what I am sure it will be in June, and I can see why it would be a destination when everything is warm and green and lush. But the wines were not great in my opinion. Their Opal was the only thing being poured that I even remotely liked. Now tastes in wine are very subjective, so it may be that these wines make others very happy. What really made it a mediocre visit for us was the person running the tasting. We were the only clients, but she had very little to say and seemed more invested in emptying the dishwasher than talking with us. In fairness, my husband visited in the fall with other guests and he raved about his experience, so perhaps we just got a person who was having an off day. But if I am looking for majestic vistas, fine noshing options, delicious wines, and engaging and informative personnel, I will head to Bluemont before Hillsborough next time.

Visited March 2013

Virginia
“Great, large winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stopped at this winery on a limo wine tour. It is the largest winery out of the 10 I've visited. We had a group of 8 and taken into a huge room with lots of tables, where we had our tastings. Fun visit, beautiful views, I can only imagine how pretty it must be in the summer or fall. Wines were really good!

Visited February 2013
herndon, virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Nice Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've been going here for years and love the view; high on the hillside. The wine is merely good, so the large, pleasant tasting room with plenty of grounds makes up for any wow you're expecting in the wine. The seating throughout is old and uncomfortable so wear jeans for buffer. Except for Kerem the winemaker with an unmistakable attitude, the staff is cool. Great place for a group, and the lawn chairs facing a vineyard is perfect for being on your own or couples.

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
“Great red wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I loved the red wine. Beautiful scenery, fantastic staff. A little too many flies but hey they like wine too!

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
“Nice Setting, Tasting Menu Limited”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice setting on a hillside overlooking rolling hills. However, the tasting menu was smaller than others and it was very quiet when we were there. Might be better to visit in warmer months when you can sit outside.

Visited November 2012