“Almost there.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Purcellville
Cuisines: American
“Almost there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I've visited this place twice and I'm still unsure of what type of restaurant they are aiming to be.

The food is ok. Not outstanding but ok. The portions are small and a bit overpriced. They also serve several draft and bottled beers but only certain staff members can actually deliver them to the table due to age restrictions, so, beverage service is rather slow.

I've never left Smokin' Willys totally unsatisfied but I grew up on NC BBQ, ribs and sides. No doubt the place is doing better than the restaurant that preceded it in the same location but its not at the top of my list in Purcellville.

Give them a try, see what you think. They do deserve that much and can only get better as a result.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Fairfax, Virginia
“No Better than Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was a nice little BBQ restaurant in downtown Purcellville. I'd like to give it another try but if you base your opinion of a BBQ restaurant on brisket as the main indicator, Smoking Willy fell way short. This meat was still too tough to indicate that it had seen enough time on the heat. Three sauces were offered. The sweet was a good BBQ sauce, the hot was too hot for it to be enjoyable to me and the tangy was so runny and vinegar-like I just didn't get it. The sides were all much better and service was excellent.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Worth the drive to Purcellville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had lunch on a Saturday with friends who live in the area and had tried Smoking Willy's once before. The barbecue was great and we were very glad we had ordered the smaller portion. Salads are made in house and the coleslaw and potato salad were great. Cornbread was more like cake than any we had had before. The burgers were given high marks also. Even though we shouldn't, we did have dessert which was very good. The staff were great and did not mind us sitting and talking after we ate. Would definitely go back and have already recommended it to friends. Not NC, but better, as far as this Virginian is concerned.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
HokieMKB
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our friends ordered a mix of food for take-out for their son's birthday party and the food was GREAT! The BBQ, ribs, and macaroni salad were all delicious. The item that won us all over though was the cornbread. We all agreed it was the best we've ever had. We'll definitely be returning on our next visit to the area!

Snowy Ohio
“Unexpectedly good BBQ here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Some friends took my family to Smoking Willy for lunch recently and, given its location on the end of an office building, I wasn't expecting much. I lived in North Carolina for several years and pretty much know what good barbecue should be like. I was very surprised that the pulled pork at Smoking Willy was absolutely delicious and very reminiscent of my NC days! Okay, so it was heaped on a huge kaiser roll with cole slaw (instead of white bread and vinegar slaw), but it was so delicious, I can certainly let the authenticity slide a little! My husband had the smoked turkey and was pleased. My children each had a burger and my son declared it "the best ever" - even cooked medium-well, the burger was juicy and flavorful, not dry. The portions are generous and the service was good; one of our party had a food allergy issue and the waitstaff worked with us until the order was safe & correct. I wouldn't hesitate to come here again - in fact, my kids might insist!

• Visited June 2012