“A huge menu, great food but a little slow in service” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Purcellville
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
“A huge menu, great food but a little slow in service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try Anthony's after I just happened to notice it while driving by. The place was bustling with people, which is usually a good sign.

When we entered, there was no one that greeted us. An older gentleman/waiter gruffly pointed to a booth and said 'You take that one'. After sitting for more than 5 minutes I summoned a waitress and asked for menus. She then asked why we were sitting in that booth. Ok, strike two.

After that, she became our server and after perusing the wine list (which is expansive and diverse) we settled on two glasses of Barbera which were quite good.

The appetizer, a Caprese salad, was wonderful, large and enough to be a nice meal on its own. I opted for the Mediterranean chicken kabobs which were very good as was the pasta dish that my wife had. Each entree came with a side salad as well. Dessert was a flour less chocolate cake, just enough for two to share, and complemented the wine nicely.

In all, we would go back solely because of the food. There were more than enough servers but it appeared to be chaotic possibly due to the crowd.

When they work out a few service kinks this will be quite a successful little place to frequent.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

near Washington, DC
“Don't try to get in on Friday Night :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very nice little diner. Not fancy, but the food is good. It stays pretty busy, but carryout is available. We like the pizzas, including the "white" pizzas, I like the crab ravioli and the eggplant. Other family members like pasta with meat sauce. The little side salads aren't much to consider. The sandwiches are generous and reasonably priced. The grape leaves were a hit, too.

Visited October 2012
Round Hill, Virginia
“90 minute wait for our food!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

90 minute wait for our mediocre steaks on a non busy Sunday evening. No explanation from server "they are working on it" was all we got. Do yourself a favor and skip this disaster!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, VA
“Overrated and over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We decided to try Anthony's based on the generally favorable reviews it has received. The restaurant was showing 4 1/2 stars and had received enough ratings for us to be confident that we would have a good dining experience. Unfortunately, this is the first time we have been steered wrong by Trip Advisor.
We had a variety of dishes and an $18 bottle of wine. One of us had a Gyro while the other three had dinners. My wife and I each ordered one of the evenings specials because they sounded good and based on past experience the specials are usually prepared with extra care. Both were well over $15.
Everything was mediocre including the salads and desert. The quality of the food and the wine would have been appropriate at 2/3 the cost. We were quite disappointed and will not be returning.
The service left a lot to be desired. We were trying to have a leisurely dinner with a friend since the restaurant was only half full but were constantly interupted by two different servers asking us if everything was all right and if they could get us anything else.
On top of that, our server messed up our order and missed multiple signs that she had messed it up. After we had all ordered our meals our friend asked the server for a Gyro to go to take home to his wife who had to stay home due to an unavoidable commitment. He arranged to have it delivered when we were done with our meal so it would still be warm when he got home. Our son, who had to leave early, had also ordered the Gyro. Somehow the waitress decided we had only ordered one gyro, something that only became apparent after the rest of our food came out. I can understand that this could have possibly been confusing, but I can't understand why the waitress didn't question the order since there were four of us there there and only three meals had been ordered. The food took longer than expected and about 10 minutes before it came out I mentioned to the waitress that if my son's Gyro was ready they could bring it out now so he wouldn't have to shovel food down his mouth. She acknowledged me but somehow this didn't make her realize she had made a mistake. I understand that mistakes sometimes happen and try to overlook them but this one was inexcusable.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yorktown, VA
“Excellent lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had the hummus platter for lunch and it was delicious. There was a generous portion of hummus topped with onions, tomatoes, cucumber and grilled chicken with a curry flavor, surrounded by pita wedges. The service was a little slow, but it was very busy.

• Visited August 2012