“El Rancho is our son's favorite place” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 35 restaurants in Purcellville
Cuisines: Mexican
Hamilton, Virginia
“El Rancho is our son's favorite place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We have been here 3 times in the past month.
Food is consistent, it's good. I wish there was a little less "fried" type items and salads with dressing and cheese in shells, but that's me. Margaritas are good, better than some other local places, not as good as others. Good for purcellville.
I do recommend and I will go back, I enjoy taking my son here because he is happy eating his usual "bean burrito" and lemonade. And I like to try the specials and the chicken burritos.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
near Washington, DC
“Nice local restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We really miss a certain South of the border retaurant in Leesburg, VA, that closed some time ago, sigh. That written, El Rancho is almost an institution. The place is kept clean (and I like clean, even the rest rooms have been fastidious every time we've visited), the service is good, the people are local. I like the taco salad (which is generous), the spinach products (which are not always available). Members of the family are fond of the Rancho's Fiesta and Acapulco. The BBQ is better than some other places in town, in my opinion. Wish the salsa was "hotter".

Visited October 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
“Pseudo-Mexican”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This place is a below-average Tex-Mex Restaurant. One example of the poor quality of the cuisine is that they use shredded Velveta cheese in lieu of mexican-style or even cheddar cheese.

Visited March 2012
NorthernVirginia
“I had to try it twice to make sure. I can now say conclusively: this is really bad.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Bland food, over priced, completely inflexiable on the menu. I love Mexican food and will usually find good in about any small restaurant. But just not this one. I want to support local businesses, but this place is just over priced, has a "professional" but entirely unfriendly staff and food that is at best, not going to hurt you. Look elsewhere.

Barryville has some good places, as does Leesburg. Just skip Purcellville for Mexican. Bummer.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Virginia
“We love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

The food is fresh & tasty & the service is good. Can't complain for a local place. Have tried a number of items on the menu & never been disappointed. I like the California Burrito the best served with rice & beans. Also, the Sopapillas - if you have room, are very good for dessert. My older son loves the bean tacos, my younger son is a bit of a gringo & usually gets a hot dog & fries & the fries are the best in town :)

• Visited December 2010