“Overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pounding Mill
Campbellsville, Kentucky
“Overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

This was a great hotel. The woman at the front desk was helpful with all our questions. The room was very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was clean. Location was good. The breakfast in the morning was great to get us started on our day. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again if I am ever in the area again.

• Stayed May 2014
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for wonderful comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Claypool Hill, Virginia.

I am so happy you enjoyed the breakfast. We feel a hot breakfast is a good way to start the day out.

Thanks again for the recommendation for potential guests looking at staying in the Claypool Hill area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Derwood, Maryland, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

There really aren't any hotels to choose from in this area so Holiday Inn has a monopoly. Don't expect too much; this is a Holiday Inn Express. Breakfast is prefab. Quite mediocre. Not as good as a Hampton Inn. Front desk staff OK but not overly friendly. There was a trail of ants on the edge of the indoor swimming pool. Staff member didn't seem overly concerned about it. Stayed in room 212. Don't know who designed this hotel but whoever never stayed in room 212 or 210 or 214. View outside the room window was nothing but the entry overhang (see attached picture). Could not even see what the weather was. And these were higher priced suites! Toilet seat was quite loose. Water faucet backwards...hot and cold on the wrong side of where normally placed. Place did seem clean. I'd never stay in a place like this again but since there are no other hotels in the area, this is it. Incentive to leave the area.

Room Tip: don't pay extra for 2nd floor suites facing the front (210, 212, 2014)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for both your positive and comments of concerns you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Claypool Hill, Virginia. The room did does not have the greatest view but they are also very well liked do to the size of the room. If you are looking for the view ask about our rooms opposite of the parking lot, you will love the view.

Thank you for bringing the maintenance issue to our attention.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed overnight on 9/3/2013 and the hotel still feels like brand new. Room on second floor in rear, decent view of mountains. King size bed in room, nice furniture, bathroom pristine, appears as if the hotel just opened. TV was nice flat screen. Internet was flawless. Hotel parking lot being paved/expanded right now, so a little construction in front but not a big deal, will help their close parking out overall.

Breakfast wonderful, pool area looked nice though I didn't swim... nice overall property. Hopefully if this hotel thrives, a sit-down restaurant will locate close by.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that. The comments regarding the “hotel feels like brand new” when actually our hotel is 8 years old makes us feel like we are going above and beyond to make sure our guests love our hotel.

Regarding the comment about the hotel parking lot expanding. That area is not part of our hotel but another business coming in next to the hotel.

Again thank you for the recommendation for future travelers that might read your review about our hotel in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Hope to see you again if your travel takes you through our area.
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We recently stayed here overnight while visiting family. The hotel was very clean, beds were comfortable very nice sheets. Nice pool and hot tub. We were given goodie bags for being priority club members which was a very nice touch. Would stay here again. Front desk was nice on check in and check out. Due to limited hotels in the area I would advise making your reservations early or calling if you see that they don't have rooms available. We tried to book online it said no rooms available but we called the hotel directly and they did have rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards Member. I hope you enjoyed your gift for being one of members.

Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we achieved our goal.

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is my second stay here, first time it was fine, second time, not so much....this hotel clientele are mostly workers, so they check out pretty early and are gone all day, they don't realize others there on leisure may want some quiet and sleep in....so after 2 days of me being on the road straight with another full day of driving looking at me, I thought I would sleep a little longer, nope that wasn't going to happen...about 8:45 I hear knock knock housekeeping, and before I could even attempt to get out of bed, the housekeeper was already trying to open the door, 8:45 a.m.!,,,
I was livid, for one what an invasion of my privacy, what if I was nude getting out of the shower? She didn't even give time for me to answer the door....breakfast ends at 9:30, which about 9:00 the lady starts putting what few offerings the have out.....was disappointed, and of course the pool was out of service.....room temperature was tough to maintain steady, too hot, too cold. However I would have to commend the woman that was at the front desk overnight, she went out of her way for us, she was very friendly

Room Tip: Place privacy placard on door if you don't want housekeeping busting in your room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience that the other guests around you were not quite. Also I do apologize for the housekeeping staff entering your room before 11:00am. I will discuss this with my staff.

I will discuss the other issues with the breakfast hours and we should not be putting our breakfast away before 9:30am.

I am truly sorry for you experience but I am glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to help you. I hope this one experience does not prevent you from staying with us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Pounding Mill hotels

Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel is in a very remote area, so hotel options are limited. Cleanliness is always my biggest concern at any hotel, and I can tell you this property is clean.

We ran into a few other issues during our two night stay, however.

We were given a room that had an air conditioner that made a lot of noise. When asking for a new room the first night, they said they were completely booked. We were up most of the night due to the noise. The following morning I asked if there was a different room for our 2nd night. When I told them we were in room 127, they said something along the lines of "Oh yeah...that room is noisy". Knowing there was an issue, why would they put a guest in that room? One good point is that room 127 is huge. We had multiple family staying in multiple rooms and our room was the biggest by far.

Another issue is that our shower would not drain. After two calls to the front desk, housekeeping came to correct the problem. The lady who fixed it was very nice and helpful.

The final issue is that staff kept coming into our room unannounced. The maintenance man who was in street clothes, no uniform or name tag to denote him as an employee, let himself in with a key while my entire family was in the room. Additionally, housekeeping walked in at two different times throughout our stay unannounced as well.

The breakfast is typical. The pool was clean. There are vending machines and free ice. The lobby was nice. It's close to a Wendy's, McDonald's, WalMart, and liquor store.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see for the most part we did that.
I will discuss with my housekeeping and maintenance department the issues you have brought up. I am truly for them just walking into your room.

The room that you had rented is close to the pool and I am sure that was some of the noise levels you mentioned. Other guests going in and out of the pool area and the pool mechanical room is not far from that room. Even though the wall between is a double wall sound can get through at times.

I hope you will give us another try if your travel needs take you back through the Claypool Hill area.
Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my first visit to this property (and my last), as it started off on a bad note. I had made a reservation through my corporate web site for a nonsmoking room at this property. After checking in, I made my way up to my third floor room, the first thing that struck me when I got off the elevator was the heavy smell of cigarette smoke. When I made it to my room, I noticed that it was a "smoking" room, never opening the door. I returned to the front desk, thinking an error was made. I mentioned to the desk clerk that I had a reservation for a nonsmoking room (which I pulled up on my iPad). She mentioned that when certian corporate rates are assigned rooms, they assign them the rooms available, not what were booked. In addition, she mentioned that they had no nonsmoking rooms available. I was ready to walk out and find another hotel, but before leaving, I wanted to make sure I was not charged for the room, as I never even opened the door. She mentioned that since I "checked" in, I would be charged for the room. I replied that this was not the room I booked, and I was not going to pay for a room I was not satisfied with. She said she would have to "call and check" with her manager about not charging me. I replied that would be fine. She fumbled for a few minutes, and then found a "nonsmoking suite" that was availabe (strange??). Although not availabe at the same rate, I agreed to a $20 additional charge, just to have a room (end of a 12+ hour day).

Although the room (212) was more spacious than an average queen double, it was still tight. There was noise from all directions. Voices from either side, "big foot" from above, and from what I can best tell, rumbling from the "automatic doors" from the lobby below all evening long. Good news, no road noise (lol). The HVAC was no better. No continious fan mode, so it cut on and off all night ( a major grumph for me).

The possitives from my visit, the room was clean, and the room temp was ok. Wish I could say more.

I really hate giving a property such a low rating, but this was a most regretable visit. Although I travel through this area every week, I thought of trying this property again before a review, but I felt it was not worth the risk. There were too many errors made on the part of the hotel for me to consider another stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor if smoke bothers you
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kathy B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the front doors and the room above you.

I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding about the reservations. I am not sure if your reservation was for a standard room and a note to make sure it was non-smoking. If that was the case we did not have any non-smoking standards rooms available. If your reservation was made specifically for a non-smoking room, that was our fault and I am truly sorry for that. I am glad that we were able to get you into a non-smoking suites.

I do not know what to say but I am truly sorry for your experiences you mentioned during your stay with us, please do not hold this one experience from using Holiday Inn Express hotels in the future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill? Share your experiences!