“Not so non smoking” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill

Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill
You added Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill to your Saves list
Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12367 Gov. GC Peery Hwy, US Route 19, Pounding Mill, VA 24637   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pounding Mill
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Not so non smoking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice now cause of family reunion. The staff is great....The free breakfast is not bad but I would not say much more about it. They had coffee, juice, and waffles. so not much. The beds are horrible. when we checked in and got to our room we walked into a room that smelled like new carpet and a two pack a day smoker. Their was drinks on the night stand beer and left over food in the frig. We ended up having to change rooms. I know that they just made it a non smoking hotel but it does not help that people propped open the back door and smoked there. so the hallways smelled like smoke as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMRichlands, General Manager at Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I appreciate your comments you posted regarding our Super 8 in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room and a friendly, helpful staff. I am sorry we came up short on achieving our goals.

I apologize that you were not satisfied with the bed. We purchase our beds from a reputable company; however, people have different opinions on the comfort of the beds.
We have gone 100% smoke free hotel in July and as I read your comment you were in one of our guest rooms that has been totally remodeled which included carpet, bedding, drapes and chairs. I am sorry that you felt that you could still smell smoke in our new rooms with carpet. When we converted our smoking rooms over to non-smoking we also go through a procedure of cleaning walls and a permanent fixtures in each guest rooms.

I understand that some of our smoking guests know go outside and smoke at the entrances. We continue to monitor this and are looking at adding an exterior smoking area.

I will discuss the other issues you found in your guest room with our housekeeping staff.

Again thanks for your comments regarding our hotel and do hope you enjoyed your family reunion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boone, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have stayed at this Super 8 several time through the last few years, there isn't much around and we have to come here on business. I don't usually choose Super 8, but with the limited choices, we go there. It is generally clean, and the staff friendly.
There are not very many food choices around.
Breakfast is all carbs.

But considering the choices here, we will go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GMRichlands, General Manager at Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for the comments you posted regarding our Super 8 in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room and a friendly, helpful staff.

I do hope you noticed from your last visit that we have gone 100% smoke free hotel and we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms to include new carpet, drapes, chairs and bed covers. We are continuing to improve our hotel for our guests.

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy the new breakfast upgrades that Super 8 implemented late last year.

You may not realize but this area does have some very fine restaurants within driving distance. Next time in town please ask the front desk and we will direct you into dining option.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I couldn't believe how bad our expierence was. First of all, the hotel went smoke free 7/22; our stay was 7/27. We stayed in a room that smelled so badly of smoke that when we got home, all of our clothes, and belongings, smelled of smoke. I had to go buy some febreeze to spray down my 1 yr olds teddy bear and our luggage. There was hair and particles in the bath tub that didn't belong to us. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable.
My biggest complaint however is that they put us in a room that smelled so badly of smoke. I didn't like my 1 yr old smelling the smoke and his belongings/clothes smelling of smoke. They knew we had a child, I don't understand why we had to get that room. Unfortunately it was the only room available so, we had to stay in it. Thank god it was only for one night.
I will NEVER stay in this particular hotel again. I would NEVER recommend this hotel. The smoke smell was unforgiveable.
The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant. The complimentary breaskfast was acceptable. If it wan't for my child being exposed to such horrible smokey smell, I would've never wrote a review.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMRichlands, General Manager at Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for the great comments you posted regarding our Super 8 in Claypool Hill, Virginia. Our goal is to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room and a friendly, helpful staff. We take great pride in our hotel and I can see that we came up short with your visit.

Over this past year we have evaluated our smoking rooms and have heard many comments like yours regarding this issue. First of all we converted all our smoking rooms to non-smoking rooms by installing new carpet, chairs, drapes and all new bedding. Besides the new furnishings we have cleaned the walls and beds of every smoking room that we had available. We have taken the needed steps also if a guest does smoke in one of non-smoking rooms.

I am truly sorry we came up short on your expectations of our hotel. We have also decided to continue our interior renovation project and will install carpet, chairs, drapes and bedding in our remaining rooms. We hope to have this completed by late fall.

For all viewers we have converted our hotel to 100% smoke free the last week of July.

Been to Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill? Share your experiences!