“Historic hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Portsmouth
Winchester, Virginia
“Historic hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

While in Portsmouth VA my husband and I stayed here. The people were very nice and helpful with any questions we had. My husband and I travel a lot and this hotel was close to where we needed to be. It is an old historic hotel which we love staying in but this was a bit disappointing. The bed seemed to be made of previous slept on sheets and were put on the bed inside out . . . And they were older with the elastic very stretched out . . .so all the sheets came off the bed while we were sleeping, which woke us both. Needless to say we will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, General Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Prazsinger,

Portsmouth, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were greeted by a very delightful gentleman when we arrived who was filled with all sorts of useful information about where to eat, drug stores activities and how to get to our event the next day. The hotel was vintage and clean, we had a very restful sleep on very comfortable beds. I was a bit nervous about the parking lot at night after reading some reviews but they had plenty of lighting and my car was fine in the morning

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stay in many hotels for business. This is one of the better places I have stayed in. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The elevator was worn but worked just fine. The room was nice and spacious. The hotel was in walking distance of great places to eat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family and I had to travel to Portsmouth for an event. I had some trepidation about this hotel because of the mixed reviews but there was a special price for the group sponsoring our event so we decided to chance it. Some reviewers have expressed concerns about the neighborhood. Yes, it's a "mixed" area and yes, you might see one or two homeless folks nearby, but overall it has the very positive feel of an "artsy" and "edgy" neighborhood that is resistant to "gentrification". I never once felt any concern for my safety or the safety of my family. The historic old town is just steps away and makes a nice walking tour. The Children's Museum and the waterfront were both an easy walk. In fact, the hotel is very convenient to everything. The hotel staff was very helpful and pleasant and we were offered an upgrade to a suite when registering once the staff saw that we were traveling with a child. The room was a nice size. As noted by others, the bathroom was small but not tiny. The whole place is a little tired and old but for the price it was a bargain. Not a "cookie-cutter" hotel at all. I agree with other reviews that breakfast was not good...a bottle of super-sweet fruit drink, a super-sugary per-packaged pastry thing and a health bar. Not exactly the breakfast of champions...we ended up bring the drink bottles back to the front desk. We had no problems with the Wi-Fi. Our rental car spent 2 nights in the lot down the block with no problem. All in all, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I spent a long weekend at the Governor Dinwiddie and was a little reluctant based on past reviews. When I arrived and all through my stay, the staff was friendly, helpful and very welcoming. I was worried when I got in the elevator because it was pretty beat-up looking, but it worked just fine. The halls and my room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom is tiny but clean. The lighting over the sink was pretty dim which made it difficult to put on make-up. The room was large, with two comfortable chairs, two queen beds, television, small kitchen with refrigerator, stove top, sink, dishes, coffeepot and microwave. The hotel has wi-fi, but I was only able to connect for a short time one morning. You can walk to the Arts and Cultural Center, some wonderful restaurants and walk around and enjoy the historic homes and gardens. But, the hotel has a number of homeless people hanging around outside. On three occasions, I heard arguing among groups of people on the street, one night even bringing in a couple of police cars near the hotel. I didn't rent a car so I can't speak to parking in the lot next to the hotel. The breakfast was pretty awful. It was a bag containing a small bottle of juice, a packaged sweet roll and a granola bar. There is fresh ground coffee dispensed in the lobby. I really longed for a piece of fruit but didn't find a little grocery store nearby to supplement the breakfast. Over all, it was a very good experience. It's much more charming than the chain hotels.

Room Tip: Maybe if you get a room closer to the elevators you will have stronger wi-fi.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Portsmouth, VA
Harrisburg, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Lots of restaurants and bars on High St. Room was very nice. Only issue was we only had hot water for one shower over 3 days. TVs could be updated. It did get a little loud when the bars closed each night but that lasted all of 5-10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2013
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Sir,

with regards,
Portsmouth,VA
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Desk staff courteous and most helpful in recommending local restaurants, free Starbucks coffee in the lobby. Nicely renovated with period appropriate décor and furniture. Not your bland "now which hotel is this ? " chain experience, reminded me of a European city hotel. The area is great with many excellent reasonably priced restaurants within walking distance, contrary to some reviews, the area is not scary if you can get comfortable with the fact that everyone in the world does not look just like yourself. It is a nicely renovated city center with outdoor sidewalk dining, and there is a ferry that goes across the Elizabeth river within a few blocks. And where else can you see an aircraft carrier in a dry dock being refurbished on the other side of the river !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Paul,

With Regards,
Portsmouth,VA

Been to The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!