“Great Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Portsmouth
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I wanted to thank Pam & Nicole for being so friendly & helpful during my stay the first week in July. From the moment I checked in they were very nice and they made me feel very welcomed. Throughout the week if I had any questions such as how do i find a Wal-mart, I would be provided a copy of directions, etc. The room was nice, very spacious, and I loved having the windows so I could let the sun in. The hotel is within distance of some great local restaurants and short distance to the waterfront for a nice walk. I have enjoyed my stay here, and would definetely come back. Nothing better than having your expectations exceeded, thanks girls :)

Room Tip: Call in advance if you have any questions!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Lisa b

Thank You for your review. We strive to provide Excellent Service from Management to every Staff member to every Guest that stays with us. Glad we are doing a good job! Thank you again!

The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel
Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here after getting stuck in a serious storm driving out of the Outer Banks of NC. I found a great deal on hotels.com and booked it. We rolled in around 12:30am and had no trouble finding the hotel or parking FOR FREE. The King room was big with a wet bar, coffee pot (no coffee) and frig. The hotel offers free Starbucks in the lobby. We parked our truck filled with bikes and beach equipment for the night and it was fine the next morning. The hotel is located in walking distance of some really cool restaurants and bars. I'd like to come back and stay longer and enjoy the area. Room was clean but bathroom was small. They offered "bag" food for breakfast to go. Not sure what was in it so I passed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for the nice review. We currently offer a Muffin, Juice and a Breakfast Bar to get you started in the morning. Look forward to your return to stay with us again!

Management and Staff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Do Not Stay Here!! My husband, 13 month son, and I stayed her during Memorial Day Weekend 2012. They messed up on the room reservation although we had booked 3 months in advance (not just ours but 18 other people) and still tried to tell us that it was our fault. They had an event Saturday night that had outside guest roaming the halls and music that was so loud which was horrible for our son who did not go to sleep until 1 am when the event was over and even after I complained and informed them during the reservation that I had an infant. To top matters off, my husband opened the drawer on Sunday morning to find a LOADED GUN! We called the front desk and reported it and they tried to remove the gun until I said "No Call the police!" We had not only my 13 month old but at least 6 children under the age of 10 playing the room on Saturday and if they had found that gun. Worst is the Hotel told us that they aren't responsible for items that guest leave in rooms. So I guess a gun is O.K. to leave and they could not have cleaned the room. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We appreciate your honest review with regards to what you experienced at our
hotel. As a result of your comments, we have launched an investigation
into this matter and appropriate disciplinary actions as well as
retraining opportunities have been taken to assure that each guest's
needs have been met with quality services. We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. We would like to assure the best and the proper services in further
coming days.

with regards,
The Management
South Hill, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I really liked the location in Old Towne Portsmouth, walking distance to restaurants and antique stores as well as numerous churches of various denominations. The room was clean and well appointed. I liked being able to open the windows for fresh air and to listen to street sounds.
I wish I had checked for hot water before my morning shower, it was brisk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! There were issues with the hot water at the time. That has been corrected. We hope you come back to stay with us soon. Thank you again!

Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed at the Governor Dinwiddie one recent Saturday night. Very nicely appointed, beautiful character in the interior. The front desk clerk when we checked in was extremely friendly and helpful. Extremely. Helped us find a place to eat, told us about a beautiful old house for sale in the area and gave us contact info. Lovely person. The 2 room suite was spacious and as modernized as one can get a building this old. We had a small kitchen with in room coffee maker, 2 burner stove, small fridge and microwave; and a work desk and living room area in one section and a nice big bedroom in the other. They have the split cooling systems installed for heat and cooling and they did a good job with A/C. They have a morning "bag breakfast" that is comped to everyone, great if you are not low carb-ing. They have a coffee machine in the front lobby that was nicely appointed but we didn't think the coffee was very good. The front desk clerk when we checked out was not as friendly and was difficult to understand as she was eating and talking with food in her mouth the entire time....but, we found somewhere to eat right nearby anyway. The hotel is located very close to the waterfront area, a quick walk to the main drag.

Negatives: No horizontal surface in bedroom to put suitcase on, handicapped shower stall was discolored with something and looked dirty. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the Great review. Sorry for the bad part of your stay, we have conducted retraining of the Desk Staff we are glad you enjoyed the area though and hope you come back soon!

Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

First for the good - the room was okay. Not great, but adequate. Air conditioning worked well, and wifi worked surprisingly well. Room wasn't huge, but definitely adequate. Bed was reasonably comfortable. For the price, it is a decent place to stay.

Now for the bad. We had to briefly stop at the hotel on the way from a day trip to Williamsburg to a family member's house in Chesapeake. It was about 6 pm on a Monday. My wife waited in the car, and I went inside to retrieve what I went in for. My key card did not work to let me in our room. There was no clerk at the desk, so I went outside to get my wife's key card. Again, no luck. Still no one at the desk, and it had been about 15 minutes since we had gotten there. I walked around to look for someone, no luck. I went into two "employees only" doorways and shouted for someone with no luck. Another hotel guest came into the lobby and told me that sometimes the employees were outside smoking, so I walked around the building but saw no one. At this point I had no idea what to do. I looked around to see if I saw a manager's phone number (I didn't), I called the hotel in case the clerk was somewhere with a cordless phone, and I even checked with the Mexican restaurant next door to see if they had a contact number. Still nothing. Not knowing what to do at this point (it had been about a half hour), I called the police. The police arrived in about five minutes, and I explained my dilemma. They checked a few of the same places I'd checked already with no success. They then decided to do a floor-to-floor search. About 5-10 minutes into the police's search, the clerk, a young man named Alex, arrived on an elevator. With him was a pizza delivery guy, who immediately left the hotel with the pizza. Very strange. I let Alex know that I had been waiting for over 30 minutes and the police were in the hotel searching for him, and he apologetically told me he had left to "get a bite to eat." Why he had to go to another floor of the hotel to eat is completely beyond me, as is why the pizza delivery guy left with the pizza. I asked him why he didn't leave a note or a phone number, and he said he just wasn't thinking.

I let the manager know the next morning. The manager knew about the incident since Alex had called him the night before. He was unapologetic, thanked me for letting him know, and let it go at that. I am the last one to get worked up over small issues, but to me, this was a huge safety and customer service concern that I believe was taken lightly by the staff. For this reason, my wife and I will not stay here again and do not recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Amherst, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We are a 60's couple, driving south along the coast from NH down to maybe S. Carolina. We needed to 'meet up' with our friends who were sailing their boat north from S. Carolina. They were docked in Portsmouth, so we needed to find a place near where they were docked. This was an ideal spot. An in-town, older hotel, but in very good shape. Nice free parking lot right next door, nice old fashioned lobby, rooms bigger than we expected. It's a nice walk around the historic district, and close to the harbor for good viewing of the activity there. Hotel provides a morning 'breakfast to go' - juice, muffin, breakfast bar in a bag, plus lots of free coffee in the room or in the lobby.

Only complaint - internet was slow and/or spotty, but otherwise a very nice place to stay in you need the in-town location. Easy walk to many good restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We appreciate your review! Imporvements have been made on internet access. And we are glad the rest of yur stay was good for you. Hope to see you again in the future.

With regards,

Governor Dinwiddie Hotel

Been to The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!