“Gun in Room” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Gun in Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Do Not Stay Here!! My husband, 13 month son, and I stayed her during Memorial Day Weekend 2012. They messed up on the room reservation although we had booked 3 months in advance (not just ours but 18 other people) and still tried to tell us that it was our fault. They had an event Saturday night that had outside guest roaming the halls and music that was so loud which was horrible for our son who did not go to sleep until 1 am when the event was over and even after I complained and informed them during the reservation that I had an infant. To top matters off, my husband opened the drawer on Sunday morning to find a LOADED GUN! We called the front desk and reported it and they tried to remove the gun until I said "No Call the police!" We had not only my 13 month old but at least 6 children under the age of 10 playing the room on Saturday and if they had found that gun. Worst is the Hotel told us that they aren't responsible for items that guest leave in rooms. So I guess a gun is O.K. to leave and they could not have cleaned the room. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dinwiddie_Hotel_506, Manager at The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest

We appreciate your honest review with regards to what you experienced at our
hotel. As a result of your comments, we have launched an investigation
into this matter and appropriate disciplinary actions as well as
retraining opportunities have been taken to assure that each guest's
needs have been met with quality services. We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. We would like to assure the best and the proper services in further
coming days.

with regards,
The Management
Governor Dinwiddie Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
South Hill, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I really liked the location in Old Towne Portsmouth, walking distance to restaurants and antique stores as well as numerous churches of various denominations. The room was clean and well appointed. I liked being able to open the windows for fresh air and to listen to street sounds.
I wish I had checked for hot water before my morning shower, it was brisk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! There were issues with the hot water at the time. That has been corrected. We hope you come back to stay with us soon. Thank you again!

Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed at the Governor Dinwiddie one recent Saturday night. Very nicely appointed, beautiful character in the interior. The front desk clerk when we checked in was extremely friendly and helpful. Extremely. Helped us find a place to eat, told us about a beautiful old house for sale in the area and gave us contact info. Lovely person. The 2 room suite was spacious and as modernized as one can get a building this old. We had a small kitchen with in room coffee maker, 2 burner stove, small fridge and microwave; and a work desk and living room area in one section and a nice big bedroom in the other. They have the split cooling systems installed for heat and cooling and they did a good job with A/C. They have a morning "bag breakfast" that is comped to everyone, great if you are not low carb-ing. They have a coffee machine in the front lobby that was nicely appointed but we didn't think the coffee was very good. The front desk clerk when we checked out was not as friendly and was difficult to understand as she was eating and talking with food in her mouth the entire time....but, we found somewhere to eat right nearby anyway. The hotel is located very close to the waterfront area, a quick walk to the main drag.

Negatives: No horizontal surface in bedroom to put suitcase on, handicapped shower stall was discolored with something and looked dirty. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the Great review. Sorry for the bad part of your stay, we have conducted retraining of the Desk Staff we are glad you enjoyed the area though and hope you come back soon!

Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

First for the good - the room was okay. Not great, but adequate. Air conditioning worked well, and wifi worked surprisingly well. Room wasn't huge, but definitely adequate. Bed was reasonably comfortable. For the price, it is a decent place to stay.

Now for the bad. We had to briefly stop at the hotel on the way from a day trip to Williamsburg to a family member's house in Chesapeake. It was about 6 pm on a Monday. My wife waited in the car, and I went inside to retrieve what I went in for. My key card did not work to let me in our room. There was no clerk at the desk, so I went outside to get my wife's key card. Again, no luck. Still no one at the desk, and it had been about 15 minutes since we had gotten there. I walked around to look for someone, no luck. I went into two "employees only" doorways and shouted for someone with no luck. Another hotel guest came into the lobby and told me that sometimes the employees were outside smoking, so I walked around the building but saw no one. At this point I had no idea what to do. I looked around to see if I saw a manager's phone number (I didn't), I called the hotel in case the clerk was somewhere with a cordless phone, and I even checked with the Mexican restaurant next door to see if they had a contact number. Still nothing. Not knowing what to do at this point (it had been about a half hour), I called the police. The police arrived in about five minutes, and I explained my dilemma. They checked a few of the same places I'd checked already with no success. They then decided to do a floor-to-floor search. About 5-10 minutes into the police's search, the clerk, a young man named Alex, arrived on an elevator. With him was a pizza delivery guy, who immediately left the hotel with the pizza. Very strange. I let Alex know that I had been waiting for over 30 minutes and the police were in the hotel searching for him, and he apologetically told me he had left to "get a bite to eat." Why he had to go to another floor of the hotel to eat is completely beyond me, as is why the pizza delivery guy left with the pizza. I asked him why he didn't leave a note or a phone number, and he said he just wasn't thinking.

I let the manager know the next morning. The manager knew about the incident since Alex had called him the night before. He was unapologetic, thanked me for letting him know, and let it go at that. I am the last one to get worked up over small issues, but to me, this was a huge safety and customer service concern that I believe was taken lightly by the staff. For this reason, my wife and I will not stay here again and do not recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Amherst, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We are a 60's couple, driving south along the coast from NH down to maybe S. Carolina. We needed to 'meet up' with our friends who were sailing their boat north from S. Carolina. They were docked in Portsmouth, so we needed to find a place near where they were docked. This was an ideal spot. An in-town, older hotel, but in very good shape. Nice free parking lot right next door, nice old fashioned lobby, rooms bigger than we expected. It's a nice walk around the historic district, and close to the harbor for good viewing of the activity there. Hotel provides a morning 'breakfast to go' - juice, muffin, breakfast bar in a bag, plus lots of free coffee in the room or in the lobby.

Only complaint - internet was slow and/or spotty, but otherwise a very nice place to stay in you need the in-town location. Easy walk to many good restaurants.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

We appreciate your review! Imporvements have been made on internet access. And we are glad the rest of yur stay was good for you. Hope to see you again in the future.

With regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Gov. Dinwiddie Hotel. The staff members we met (Denzel and Cindy) were extremely helpful and pleasant. Our room was spacious. The building is not just your run-of-the-mill hotel...it had a lot of character and made our vacation more memorable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We weere glad to be a part of your successful vacation. All your kind worrds are appreciated as well as valued. Hope we can be a part of your next get away!

Lake Lure, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This historic treasure is a true "Boutique Hotel". Iwas to stay 3 days for business & instead stayed another 2 for the pleasure. My room was so spacious w/ a complete kitchnette,seperate sitting area large super comfortable bed, even the bathroom had a seperate vanity area , with a large tub & sink area . Generally I can get cabin fever in hotel rooms, but this was more like an apartment. I was especially pleased to be able to bring my dog, we love to travel together & Portsmouth is fabulous for walking & imagining living there in another era. The Governor Dinwiddie is a historic hotel, with alot of the past charm, you imagine what it would have been like to stay there when it was 1st built, very nicely redone. The staff was super nice & informative, presenting me with my breakfast to go each morning, which I truly liked- perfect for the busy business person.There is an attached restaurant , which was a pleasure. I will definately stay there each time- one big reason I look forward to going back to quaint Portsmouth.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
What a Nice review! Thank you for the very nice review. We value the reviews of our Guests and strive to correct all problems when brought to our attention. Even though your stay was pleasant, we are always improvig where we can.

Governor Dinwddie Hotel

Been to The Governor Dinwiddie Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!