“An Ok stay that turned into an awful stay” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Chesapeake, Virginia
“An Ok stay that turned into an awful stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on many occations, but yesterday, I had a bad experience from beginning to end. After the 1st night, i decided to stay one more night. I booked the reservation, then went downstairs to change my my credit card info. Wow, it was so confusing how they do this "extra charge" for incidentals. Keep in mind, I have been a Marriott rewards member for how long? Yet, there is still this distrust "charge" which makes things so confusing. On top of it all, if you are out of town and they "hold" this money on your credit card, or even worse, your debit card...you are SOL if you think you will have those funds to use while on vacation. You won't see that money for days on your credit card, and sometimes for weeks on your debit card. Anywho, finally everything was straightened out and I went on to try and enjoy my day.

Later that night, I went to the pool. It was a disaster! It was filthy...a total mess. I used the phone inside the pool area to call and let the staff know, and the phone didnt work. So, I went to the fitness room to call from there, and that phone wasn't working. I preceded to get on the elevator and exited on to the 4th floor to call on the ohone by the elevator, and that phone wasnt working. I had to get back on the elevator and go back to my room on the 9th floor. I call the front desk from my room, and I told them about the condition of the pool area, how many times I tried to call but the phones didn't work, and that I needed towels. The lady at the front desk said that she will notify someone. I went back to the pool, and waited. 30 minutes went by and still noone came to clean up or provide towels. That was such a bad customer experience. I love the area, but I don't think that I will ever return!

• Stayed March 2014
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We are sincerely sorry that your stay with the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel was unenjoyable.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. Hotel management has discussed the issues mentioned to the responsible parties! We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Spouse stayed at this hotel on buisiness. Visited for aweek to see him. The hotel is a gem. Situated on the Elizabeth River with great waterviews. Staff and managers were always friendly and helpful. As a business stay they us feel at home and welcome. A lot of Southern Hospitality. Rooms are spacious , comfortable again with great views. Portsmouth old town is a quaint place to walk to and explore. The indoor pool hot tub and gym are a great asset to hotel.Hats off to Keith, Gwen, Derrick, Ike, and Alees and others for a great stay

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
I’m Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Look forward to delighting you again in the future!!!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

5 day business trip, overall outstanding experience. Stayed at highest floor, stunning view, very confortable room, some flaws in room keeping (did not replenish coffee and bathroom amenities for a couple of days), good exercise room, good breakfast, good bar with friendly staff. Check in was friendly and professional. Will definetly consider coming back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
I’m Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel management and staff, thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay. Marriott strives to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travel. Look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us!

Regards
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I cannot say enough about this hotels service, rooms and fantastic location...it has a wow factor rarely found. Incredible views abound especially from the 16th floor where our room was. The staff here is friendly and attentive. The prices here are reasonable too...anyone looking for a bargain should definitely spend a long weekend relaxing in this hotel. The pool and workout areas are great too.

Room Tip: High floor a must
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Darnell S, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I am Darnell Smith, Front Office Manager at the Renaissance Portsmouth Waterfront Hotel. On behalf of the management and staff, We would like to thank you for providing such great feedback on your recent stay. I assure you that we are going to share this feedback with the associates. Please advise us of any future stays in Portsmouth, as we welcome the opportunity to be of service!

Warmest Regards
Fenton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

What a great hotel. Great food, great rooms, friendly staff and great location. Sits overlooking a navy ship yard and is close to a lot of great places. Was snowed in here and come to find out they offer a snow rate when the weather is like it was. Great deal and would recommend this hotel to everyone. Staff very pleasant and accommodating. Will be staying at this hotel on my next visit to the area. Oh and last but not least. It has a great work out facility and indoor pool/ spa area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The indoor pool at this facility is definitely what sold me. I stayed here for about 5 days before I could find somewhere to live in Virginia. The customer service was awesome. There was a small down fall and it was no upgrades have been done to these room with the exception of a flat screen tv. If you get a view by the water it's so relaxing and comforting. The ballrooms are nice I would definitely recommend a wedding or reception here.

Stayed February 2013
Maxwell D, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am elated to hear that we were able to exceed all expectations during your recent stay.I am also happy to hear that you have considered coming back to visit us. Thanks again for your kind review and have a terrific week!! The Renaissance family hopes to see you again soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I spent two nights here on a business trip to the Norfolk/Portsmouth area. I've stayed in Renaissance properties around the country and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Based on that history, this location was a disappointment.

The room was nice and clean, although the bathroom fixtures seemed a bit outdated. The view of the Naval Shipyard was impressive, but it wasn't worth the extra $20 per night.

Unfortunately, it went a bit downhill from there. Their guest services directory in the room said there was a business center; if there was one, it wasn't where the directory said it was located. The directory said there was a location to print boarding passes in the lobby near the front desk; there were two computers and a printer (no direct links to various airlines as the directory indicated), but after trying both computers for 15-20 minutes, neither would print (a password was required). When I asked at the front desk, the clerk said she didn't know how to make the printers work and said she would print my boarding passes for me.

I had breakfast in the restaurant the morning I was checking out. With only two other tables occupied, the service was very slow; the staff also wasn't very friendly. I found the menu somewhat limited.

I'll consider other Marriott properties in Norfolk for future trips to the area.

Room Tip: Upper floors with a view are nice - but it's not worth paying extra (it was $20 extra per night...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Maxwell D, Manager at Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
I deeply apologize about the entire experience during your stay at our hotel. Providing excellence service is something that we take great pride in and not meeting those standards obviously reflected in your dissatisfaction during your time spent here. I can assure you that if you are ever in town and decide to choose our property again the experience will be different. Once I again I apologize for the entire experience on behalf of every associate and department that you came in contact with. We hope you choose us again and please have a Wonderful day!

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!