“Didn't know Reduced Rate meant Reduced Services” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Portsmouth
chesapeake, va
“Didn't know Reduced Rate meant Reduced Services”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

It wasn't a horrible stay but they missed there mark on the supposed superior quality on quite a few instances. My fiance and I stayed there in conjuntion with my companie's holiday party, as we were preparing for the nights activities, I went to pull the ice bucket from out of the stand. Because it was full of water from a previous night's (previous customers) stay, it splashed all over my suit, and I just put the bucket down on the floor, called the desk and informed the staff of my bucket issue and left. When we returned an hour later, the staff had brought up a another black low quality bucket, and sat it ON THE FLOOR right next to where I had placed the first (still water filled) bucket. During my stay, my fiance went to purchase a cosmetic item from the hotel convenience store. After twenty minutes of trying to swipe and/or key the information from her card, the front desk personnel could not figure out how to ring it up and told her to not worry about it. Before check out, I attempted to fill out a customer service form that was located in the room....That form had been previously filled out by a previous cutomer. The following Monday my fiance had a fifty dollar charge for a complimentary item on her card, had to call the hotel and after an hour of speaking to several folks her charge was cleared. One last issue is the distance from the front entrance to the front desk...and then the front desk to the elevators, both are very long walks, combined they are a mini marathon.

• Liked — Artistic and spacious hallways
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Northern Neck
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

I think the hotel location is in a wonderful location. I have had the
opportunity of staying there on several occasions. This time I ran into some difficulties when I was checking out. I was told that I had a balance due. I made my reservation in May 2007 and paid for the room early June 2007. I was told that due to the fact that the per diem increased in price between the time I paid for the room and my stay in November and I was responsible for the increase rate. I have purchased many things way ahead of time and never been asked to pay anything additionally after I had paid the agreed amt. at the time of purchase. If I had not sent in my payment in a timely fashion and the per diem had increased between the time I made the reservation and my payment, I could understand, but I was told that was not the case. I don't know if the General Manager was aware of the situation but someone in Sales was sent to speak to us regarding this problem. That really put a damper on our trip.

Mrs. Tonya M. Carter
tmcarter@lancasterlibrary.org.

Stayed November 2007
hopewell,va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

The hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay very special..They put flowers and ballons in the room..They even gave us a box of snacks for our dog that the lady at the front desk heard barking when I called to confirm our reservations. We had a lovely room on the 15th floor over looking the Elizabeth River. The hotel was very clean. We didn't have to drive anywhere.. everything was in walking distance. You could take a Ferry across to Norfolk for $1. How cheap is that.. There was alot of cool places to eat that are inexpensive. I would highly reccomend this hotel to everyone that likes a laid back enviorment.

• Liked — the view and closeness of everything, The staff was super!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

In a nut-shell....12 hour drive/4 hour flight.....took the flight.....many problems and 17 not 4 hours later we arrived. Extremely tired just wanted to sleep....the front desk was very sensitive to our bad travel day and they updated our room to the MAX ( we suspected).....the room was very clean, big, great view, incredible buffet breakfast the next morning....would we stay there again....YES!

• Liked — The rooms and hotel in general was awesome.
  • Disliked — Front desk too far from door.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Stayed here 2 nights for an event being held at the Hotel. Overall, no big complaints, but for the price you would think it would be nicer. When we arrived, by car, on a Friday afternoon, there was only 1 young man at the entrance. We ask where to check in, and he directed us down a long hall to registration. We had to leave our keys, and not sure why. He was alone, and there were no valets to park cars, if we wanted them to. Which on a Friday ,busy weekend with lots of people checking in you would think there would be more "front of the house" people. The hotel automatically charges you $10 a night for parking. Just padding the bill. The rooms were clean and a nice size, but nothing special. Bed, tv, side chair, lamp and desk. No mini frig in our room, not sure if it is available. Ice and drink machines on every floor, which is nice so you don't have to go hunting for one. The hotel overlooks the water. Nice, but lots of GRAY ships getting repairs to look at. Easy drive to Norfolk and Va beach. Didn't really see a lot, or need the help of staff, but the ones we did work with were friendly, but didn't go out of the way to see or ask if they could do more.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

On the planning board it was a toss up between the holiday Inn and the Renaissance - each got good reviews. However the view of the port was important to us (3 nights) and this was not guaranteed with Holiday Inn. To ensure further that we had a good view I booked direct with the hotel and upgraded for a small extra to an executive room in the top two floors. It was money well spent: we had a superb view over the port - always something going on - the harbour ferry docked just below us and a variety of ships tugs and leisure boats passed regularly. A added benefit was the concierge room - wonderful coffee and perfectly adequate continental breakfast, cheese and fruit and savouries in the evening etc, all included.
The public areas are a bit cavernous and uninviting but there are plenty of bars and eateries in Portsmouth which we enjoyed.

• Liked — view and concierge facilty (extra)
  • Disliked — large and impersonal
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Planned a romantic overnight trip with my husband using the military rate - okay with the $10 parking rate and found a nice Italian restaurant within walking distance. Hot tub was dirty but had a fantastic view out onto the river. A few months later I am still pondering ... how did housekeeping miss the fact that our sheets were soiled? Don't they change sheets after each visitor departs? Our bed was made, so we assumed the sheets would be clean and fresh, but we were surprised to find a single "poop" between the sheets. I called the front desk and a lady from housekeeping arrived with clean sheets. I helped her to make the bed and she apologized. I could not get to sleep after that - pondering how it could have happened (baby changing on the bed, disgruntled employee??). Our bill AND an apology were under the door the next morning, along with a certificate for a free breakfast buffet, which we did use. The hostess was very professional; after taking note that none of the waitresses had visited our table (15 minute wait), she personally took our beverage order and offered to waive the fee. I told her I already had a free certificate, but she insisted and gave us her card with a free buffet, experation date in December. So, not such a great experience, but I think the staff tried their best. We will be back to give them another try.

• Liked — Views of the river
  • Disliked — Dirty sheets
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!