“A Great Place for the 5 Year Old” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 20 Attractions in Portsmouth
Type: Children's Museums, Museums
Norfolk, VA
6 attraction reviews
“A Great Place for the 5 Year Old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

My five year old niece had an awesome time here. There were plenty of exhibits to keep her interest. Everything was in good shape and good working order. The whole museum was clean and appeared well maintained. I suspect that I’ll be taking her and her siblings back many times in the future.

Visited July 2011

Suffolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Good to get out of the house and let the kids play”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The museum has recently been completely redone. The kids had a blast. I've never been there and not enjoyed watching my children learn and explore. When the kids were younger I really enjoyed the area for tots to play apart from the older kids exhibits. This is a great place to go when you need to get the kids out of the house and its too darn hot to go play outside!

Visited June 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Lots of fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We visited the Children's Museum for the first time today. I had held off on visiting while the Museum was being renovated because the drive is fairly long for us. I could not have been more surprised or impressed! The Museum was clean, spacious, interesting, and endlessly entertaining. My five year-old son literally jumped with joy the whole way through it. Some children's museums seem to cater to the preschool set but this one really had plenty for older children. The science and energy areas upstairs were especially interesting for older kids. I would have given the Museum an "excellent" rating but I had a very bad experience calling prior to our visit to see if our membership at another Museum was reciprocal. The woman who answered the phone was rude and condescending. Fortunately, she was really the only negative to our experience and we will definitely be returning soon for more fun.

Visited July 2011
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
41 attraction reviews
“It's in a temporary home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Since I was nearby, and have a reciprocal Children's museum pass, we went here for a couple hours. I didn't know that the real museum was closed and only this temporary one was open (thanks policeman would told me how to get there). There is not much in the temp place, but there were books to read, a train area, a grocery store area, a building blocks area, and an area on optical illusions type things. My 3 year old had fun. Good thing I didn't pay for it. Also included was admission to Winter Wonderland, which is a very nice, cute exposition of animated animals, people, Santa, and trains etc. (Reminds me of the things they used to set up in the mall at Christmas time when I was a kid). Loved that, and so did my daughter. I am sure the new museum will be awesome from the looks of it on the outside! The people working at the museum were very friendly.

Newport News, Virginia
20 attraction reviews
“Childrens Museum is fun !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I did not see this in the attractions part of TA but still have to write about it. It is located across the street from the Sports Hall of Fame. We went in not expecting much but it was fantastic. Tons of toys on display and little areas for kids to play and pretend real life things such as a dentist office,bank,grocery store,fire engine,police motorcycle and city bus. There are other great things also one of my favorites was the bubble room. they have a thing were you can make a bubble around yourself. It is great fun for kids and their parents or for parents who just want to relax and their kids an go play. I saw lots of parents just sitting around while their children were playing somewhere in the building. This is great for kids and I think TA needs to make a spot for it in attractions for portsmouth.