“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Savannah GA
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Beautiful lodge and grounds. We stayed during Memorial Day weekend for the Mountains of Misery bicycle ride. It would have been nice to have an early shuttle for guests who were riding the MoM. The rooms were well maintained and we liked the separate sink area. The fixtures could use a bit of elbow grease but everything worked. The WiFi was a pleasant surprise and our family appreciated the lack of an idiot box (TV). We would stay here again.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Lynchburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We have stayed at Mountain Lake Lodge for the past 4-5 years over Memorial Day Weekend... there's a bicycle ride that I participate in and we've turned it into a family vacation by staying at the Lodge. We've stayed in the Chesnut Lodge, Virginia cabin, Pembroke cabin, and Dorland rooms now-- and they are all pretty nice. The Virginia is the nicest that we've stayed in-- and the location smack in the middle of the place is hard to beat.
If you understand that Mountain Lake blends rustic with a smidge of country luxury, you won't be disappointed. The outdoors activities are always fun-- we've hiked, done archery, the treetops course-- and the restaurant and bar do a good job on food. It is a gorgeous area and the outdoors will not disappoint!
On our most recent visit, we did have a slight SNAFU on reservations: however, the staff took the opportunity to provide us with some of the best customer service I've ever seen in a hotel. (Wanda did an outstanding job of meeting and exceeding our expectations!) I have nothing but praise to heap on Mountain Lake... I can see us coming back for a more Memorial Day weekends to come!
(Matter of fact: before I left, I made my reservation for next year... there aren't many places that you take care of that detail before you leave every year!)

Room Tip: Virginia cabin is good for a larger party; Dorland rooms are nice for families, as well. I haven...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Lampasas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If you liked the movie 'Dirty Dancing', this lodge is pretty cool, but......Lake has dried up, small rooms, no TV, no a/c. Food was ok. Great mountain views. Long drive from Blacksburg. In my opinion, not worth the price.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Heidi S, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Kevin S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay was not all that you anticipated. Mountain Lake Lodge has over 26 different types of accommodations - everything from a 4 Bed/BA furnished home, rustic historic cabins, to cozy lodge rooms. We do tend to be 10-15 degrees cooler here on the mountain and find that installing air conditioning would not only take away from the charm, but it is not necessary. We find that more of our guests do not anticipate the coolness here on the mountain in the evenings and need a blanket to wrap up at the nightly bon fire!

Thank you again for your feedback. Have a great summer!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Difficult drive 6 miles up a poorly maintained mountain road. There is another way in and out, but it is not paved and quite scary.
Some rooms are renovated but bathrooms are not. Old plumbing is old plumbing. BTW..there are no toiletries...bring your own soap, shampoo etc. (We stayed in a suite.) There are some pump dispensers in the shower, but ours were empty.

The grounds were once lovely, maybe we visited a little too early in the season (May) but the attractiveness of last year is gone...overgrown with weeds.
Gazebo's are posted...no admittance".

The most concerning aspect of our stay was the food. Because of the drive, there is really no place to go for other options. To say the menu is limited is to understate.

2 Lunch options:
A burger with a fried green tomato on top along with country ham, "cheese sauce" and pickles
OR
a fried green tomato on a roll with bacon, lettuce and "buttermilk sauce"

Dinner menu was pricey prix fixe with one salad, one cream soup, a pre prepared and plated chicken, pork and fish offering...all with glaring mistakes that may reveal a chef with an untrained staff. Reminiscent of a low end cruise.

No vegetarian. No gluten free. No nut free. No dairy free. No kid's menu. No choices, no reasonable options and Nothing either healthy or straightforward.

Mother's Day weekend in a very strange place. We've visited many times over the past 25 years...but sadly, this will be the last.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Anne,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted all of your comments for our management team. The resort officially opens on May 1 and it is pre-season until Memorial Day weekend. It does take our staff a bit to recover from the very harsh winter here on the mountain. The grounds are a massive undertaking and you were here before our grounds team completed opening the entire property.

I do hope that you will visit us again during the most beautiful season at Mountain Lake Lodge - SUMMER!

Anne, thank you again for your candid comments. We take all of the comments very seriously as we always want to provide wonderful memories for you and the ones you love.

Best Regards,

Heidi Stone
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015

I brought them a drawing of second frame hotel and we hung in tavern on loan.
What a night before?
Driving strange car, hard rain and then fog so thick I keep losing the road, and lot of pain on road is now missing in center and on sides. Road pavement needs some repairs.
After arriving about 10PM desk clerk asked me what I needed?
A room for sure, I had called and they would be open that night.
He got me a room just down the hall on main floor.
After checking in I walked around and studied the pictures on the wall on 1st and 2nd floors. and went down stairs too.
I was a long dark wet walk to parking lot after I checked in. Real dark.
In the morning I found the lake has really gone on strike, it is almost all gone.
They need to come up with use for old lake bed, maybe air port, go cart race track, or pan for gold, picking up stones or some other different sport.
There are cabins to stay in and other lodging available. I forgot to have them plug in my car, but I got 11 miles of electric just going down mountain.
The best way is to come early and enjoy the peace and quiet and eat at dining room.
A great place to get away and stay dry too. Pool and hot tub opens later.

Room Tip: Stay in main lodge no tv or a/c or stay in cabins or other location. I liked chestnut lodge, when I...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2015

We've had a long hard winter and wanted to get away from it all. We enjoyed a long weekend on the mountain in a cozy cabin with fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Staff at the pub were awesome. The Harvest dining room had tasty hot meals! We met several other folks who were enjoying a weekend away! Was a wonderful relaxing weekend with time to socialize and time to relax. Mountain Lake is always a great escape!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
scubastargirl,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Mountain Lake Lodge on Tripadvisor! We appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you back this summer! Be sure to check out our new Treetop Adventure Base Camp!

Best,

Heidi Stone
Woolwine, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015 via mobile

We loved our stay. We had to have the best room in the main lodge. The Tavern bar team knows how to make a very nice old fashion. The restaurant for breakfast was OK, eggs well scrambled, nice biscuits, but the gravy was lacking. We would go back but think the off-season is the time to be here when you can have a leisurely stay without all the tourists.
The total grounds are showing some wear and tear. Of course the lake is very low which it has been for 5-6 years. Go here it is worth a visit.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!