“Ok, but no great deal” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Lampasas, Texas
“Ok, but no great deal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

If you liked the movie 'Dirty Dancing', this lodge is pretty cool, but......Lake has dried up, small rooms, no TV, no a/c. Food was ok. Great mountain views. Long drive from Blacksburg. In my opinion, not worth the price.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Heidi S, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Kevin S,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am disappointed that your stay was not all that you anticipated. Mountain Lake Lodge has over 26 different types of accommodations - everything from a 4 Bed/BA furnished home, rustic historic cabins, to cozy lodge rooms. We do tend to be 10-15 degrees cooler here on the mountain and find that installing air conditioning would not only take away from the charm, but it is not necessary. We find that more of our guests do not anticipate the coolness here on the mountain in the evenings and need a blanket to wrap up at the nightly bon fire!

Thank you again for your feedback. Have a great summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Difficult drive 6 miles up a poorly maintained mountain road. There is another way in and out, but it is not paved and quite scary.
Some rooms are renovated but bathrooms are not. Old plumbing is old plumbing. BTW..there are no toiletries...bring your own soap, shampoo etc. (We stayed in a suite.) There are some pump dispensers in the shower, but ours were empty.

The grounds were once lovely, maybe we visited a little too early in the season (May) but the attractiveness of last year is gone...overgrown with weeds.
Gazebo's are posted...no admittance".

The most concerning aspect of our stay was the food. Because of the drive, there is really no place to go for other options. To say the menu is limited is to understate.

2 Lunch options:
A burger with a fried green tomato on top along with country ham, "cheese sauce" and pickles
OR
a fried green tomato on a roll with bacon, lettuce and "buttermilk sauce"

Dinner menu was pricey prix fixe with one salad, one cream soup, a pre prepared and plated chicken, pork and fish offering...all with glaring mistakes that may reveal a chef with an untrained staff. Reminiscent of a low end cruise.

No vegetarian. No gluten free. No nut free. No dairy free. No kid's menu. No choices, no reasonable options and Nothing either healthy or straightforward.

Mother's Day weekend in a very strange place. We've visited many times over the past 25 years...but sadly, this will be the last.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Anne,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted all of your comments for our management team. The resort officially opens on May 1 and it is pre-season until Memorial Day weekend. It does take our staff a bit to recover from the very harsh winter here on the mountain. The grounds are a massive undertaking and you were here before our grounds team completed opening the entire property.

I do hope that you will visit us again during the most beautiful season at Mountain Lake Lodge - SUMMER!

Anne, thank you again for your candid comments. We take all of the comments very seriously as we always want to provide wonderful memories for you and the ones you love.

Best Regards,

Heidi Stone
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I brought them a drawing of second frame hotel and we hung in tavern on loan.
What a night before?
Driving strange car, hard rain and then fog so thick I keep losing the road, and lot of pain on road is now missing in center and on sides. Road pavement needs some repairs.
After arriving about 10PM desk clerk asked me what I needed?
A room for sure, I had called and they would be open that night.
He got me a room just down the hall on main floor.
After checking in I walked around and studied the pictures on the wall on 1st and 2nd floors. and went down stairs too.
I was a long dark wet walk to parking lot after I checked in. Real dark.
In the morning I found the lake has really gone on strike, it is almost all gone.
They need to come up with use for old lake bed, maybe air port, go cart race track, or pan for gold, picking up stones or some other different sport.
There are cabins to stay in and other lodging available. I forgot to have them plug in my car, but I got 11 miles of electric just going down mountain.
The best way is to come early and enjoy the peace and quiet and eat at dining room.
A great place to get away and stay dry too. Pool and hot tub opens later.

Room Tip: Stay in main lodge no tv or a/c or stay in cabins or other location. I liked chestnut lodge, when I...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2015

We've had a long hard winter and wanted to get away from it all. We enjoyed a long weekend on the mountain in a cozy cabin with fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Staff at the pub were awesome. The Harvest dining room had tasty hot meals! We met several other folks who were enjoying a weekend away! Was a wonderful relaxing weekend with time to socialize and time to relax. Mountain Lake is always a great escape!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
scubastargirl,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Mountain Lake Lodge on Tripadvisor! We appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you back this summer! Be sure to check out our new Treetop Adventure Base Camp!

Best,

Heidi Stone
Woolwine, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015 via mobile

We loved our stay. We had to have the best room in the main lodge. The Tavern bar team knows how to make a very nice old fashion. The restaurant for breakfast was OK, eggs well scrambled, nice biscuits, but the gravy was lacking. We would go back but think the off-season is the time to be here when you can have a leisurely stay without all the tourists.
The total grounds are showing some wear and tear. Of course the lake is very low which it has been for 5-6 years. Go here it is worth a visit.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
South Charleston, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

My husband surprised me with a two night getaway this past weekend, March 20-22. We stayed in room 200 a parlor suite in the main lodge. The suite was very large and beautiful with a separate seating area with a gas log fireplace and separate bedroom. I think several other reviewers are lost on the fact that this is a lodge built in the mid 1930s and it appears that management is trying to keep the lodge as a quiet retreat; therefore, not opting to provide televisions in the rooms. We found our room to be clean and spacious.

We enjoyed Stoney Creek Tavern for drinks before dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. There seemed to be a bit of confusion as to the dinner offerings in the Tavern and Harvest Dining Room. I was told that there is normally a separate menu offered in the bar but because it was a special dinner and show weekend both were serving from the same menu. There was also confusion as information for a Friday night seafood buffet had been displayed in the lobby. We realized that we would be dining from the same menu for both Friday and Saturday and were honestly a little disappointed. It was a four course menu - soup, salad and choice between three entrees, followed by a choice between two desserts. I would have thought a variation of at least the soup and salad would have been made since there were several guests staying both nights. I will say the food that we did have was delicious. Both dinners were good and our lunch on Saturday was very tasty. The breakfast buffet was standard fair but definitely fresh and delicious.

We took a walk around the Indian Trail (lake trail) on Saturday followed by a hike to the top of Bald Knob. Both were enjoyable.

It's currently their slow season and we hope to return when they are open seven days a week and hopefully the menus have additional options.

Amy and Tasha in the Harvest Dining Room were very nice. Quick with service, refills etc. Heidi the manager was attentive and seemed right on top of things and listened to a couple of concerns we had from Saturday night.

The show portion of our Saturday night was very nice and actually much more enjoyable than I had anticipated.

We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Lynchburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

I have mixed reviews about this property after staying here last weekend. The accommodations we had in the Chestnut Lodge, adjacent to the main lodge, we're average at best. They were in my opinion very dated. The heat in our room couldn't keep up with the cold temperatures outside and unfortunately there was no firewood available for the fireplace in our room. The main areas of the lodge were nice and consistent with the age and character of the place. Overall I was slighlty disappointed with the upkeep. I would love to see this place return to what it used to be back in it's prime.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!