“Beautiful location, spectacular service and Octoberfest fun” 4 of 5 stars

Mountain Lake Lodge
115 Hotel Circle, Pembroke, VA 24136 (Formerly Mountain Lake Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Virginia
“Beautiful location, spectacular service and Octoberfest fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have a wonderful visit to Mountain Lake Lodge. Our family suite room was lovely, enormous, and recently renovated. There were only two of us, so we had far more space than we needed. There is plenty of space for four adults in that suite.

We were very impressed with our service throughout our stay. The lodge was very busy with at least two wedding parties and Octoberfest guests. Despite all of those activities, there were no service delays. This staff is awesome.

The grounds at the resort are stunning. There are tons of hiking trails on the property. Also, it was fun to look for the sites used in the film Dirty Dancing. Unfortunately, the new owners have taken down the signs that showed you where the various scenes were shot. (I docked one star for that reason.) That was a bummer, but they added a little museum. It's small, but it has some fun memorabilia, including an image of the the cast's signatures from the hotel registry.

It's been four or five years since we've been to the resort. I was happy to see the updated guest rooms. The hallways were nicely decorated as well. The Stony Creek Tavern bar was a nice update to the property as well. The gift store has been moved to a larger location and features lots of sweatshirts, some pottery, and a few toys. The tennis courts and some of the other outdoor areas could still use an update, but the new owners have done wonderful things with this property. I was thrilled to see so many improvements and so much activity at the hotel.

We had dinner during Octoberfest at the hotel restaurant, Harvest. The food was a delicious buffet style German feast. The Polka Band and was fun. We are so pleased that Octoberfest was back at the lodge! It was a favorite local tradition at Mountain Lake for many, many years. It made for a fun anniversary weekend getaway.

We also had breakfast at the restaurant. It was served buffet style and featured traditional breakfast items: bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, blueberry pancakes, steel rolled oats, potatoes, a fruit tray, blueberry yogurt, and cold cereals. Breakfast was $25 per person.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My Wife and I had a weekend getaway to Mountain Lake. Beautiful area, so much to do outside, however our visit came at a time of very rainy weather and a cold front so outdoor activity was limited, the lodge is beautiful, the rooms were clean but small , No TV in room, but an area to watch. Food choices limited, but good. it was a trip we always wanted to do and glad we did

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I don't normal write reviews but I liked this place so thought I would leave some comments. My wife wanted to go to this place because of the movie "Dirty Dancing" so I booked it. Everyone from check in to the gift shop was very nice. "John" at the gift shop offered to drive us to a viewing point because it was raining and we could not hike out there.

We watched a show "Witches Brew" at here barn. I will honest, I was more than hesitant about this one. The actors/singers were excellent. The restaurant dinner was excellent also. Normally, hotel/lodge food is just okay. The main lodge where we stayed is somewhat dated and the rooms could probably use an upgrade but it would not stop me from going back. Also, no televisions in the rooms, again not a deal breaker.

My only criticism of this place and it just can't be helped is the lake is dry. I think this place would be awesome with a lake. At any rate, I just really felt at home here. I would recommend anyone give it a try. If you need a weekend try and book when they are offering dinner and a show for one price.

Room Tip: If you want a TV in your room, I believe the the other section of the property might have TV's
Jamison, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stopped overnight on our way to the Peabody in Memphis. I really wish I had booked at least 1 more night. The hotel and view are beyond beautiful. It is peaceful and unhurried. Staff is down home friendly and all the guests equally friendly. The people we met had come many, many times and I understand why. If you are looking for big, urban, modern hotel, this isn't for you. If your looking to get away from all that, it is. This is a perfect girls getaway. Food is so, so but that was not what I was there for so it didn't distract from the stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Vansant, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My fiance and I have been trying to sign a wedding contract @ Mountain Lake Lodge. We have visited, called and emailed several times and have received limited responses, limited initiation and limited help. Actually,we have tried to put down a payment three different times & have been put off every time. This delay in our wedding planning checklist has caused a tremendous amount of stress and we have decided to look elsewhere for a venue. The services & overall experience at Mountain Lake Lodge has been extremely disappointing.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynchburg, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We've stayed at Mountain Lake for Memorial Day Weekend for the past 2-4 years. We stayed in a couple of different historic cabins-- Virginia, Pembroke-- and they were pleasantly rustic. While I would not term the Lodge a "luxury" hotel, it is a fine place to spend a weekend: my kids look forward to hiking, the gameroom, seeing how the lake is (or isn't) doing, the zip lines, lawn checkers, and other low-key activities. My wife likes to relax: we've found that we hit the restaurant in the evening and bring food to minimize the expense. I can vouch for how nice a bourbon is on my cabin's front porch in the evening in the mountains.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bon Air, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My daughter and I spent 2 nights at the lodge. The food was great in their restaurant. It was quiet with lots of trails to walk and chairs to sit outside the read. A great get away place. We stayed in the Pembroke, a two bedroom cabin only minutes from the main lodge. Only complain was that we arrived after dark and lighting was poor around the hotel. They need to make better sign of how to get to registration desk. Also a sign on Rt 700 stating we were going in correct direction. Road was curvy and up the mountain and we were not sure we were on the right road.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!