“Special place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Pembroke
orlando
“Special place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've never watched Dirty Dancing, nor am I nostalgic; I simply love getting outdoors. I'd visited twice before, but only in the summer, as the lake and the elevation make this a cooler spot for hiking. I was not expecting as much visiting the weekend of November 2, but fewer people, and the opportunity to enjoy an outdoor fire as well as the huge indoor fireplace, made this an even better experience than in Summer. This time I biked the many hiking/biking trails around the property, and saw more deer than people. I used their rental bike, which was in excellent shape, and I have to give special recognition to Matt(?), who gave great guidance. I did not get to take one of their guided hikes, but for $10, I'm sure this would have been great, too.

My room clearly had a new mattress, and I slept very well. The food was excellent, as seconded, unprompted, by several other guests. I left with a sense of relaxation that I doubt I could find in most hotels or resorts. The quaint, or even outdated some might say, nature of the resort added to the experience. I intend to go back soon-- before Summer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Mountain Lake is delightful and relaxing. High in the Virginia mountains, this is a place to get away from it all and just relax. There are no TVs in the hotel guest rooms (they do have them in the cabins), which I found just wonderful. The lodge is cozy and the large fire place warms up the living area. Nature is all around and there are hiking trails and other outdoor activities outside.The food is fantastic. They just brought in a new chef from St. Michael's in Maryland, and the presentation of the plates was outstanding and all the dishes were great. The menu options were really varied -- shrimp and grits, beef, homemade pot pie with a flaky crust and much more (for dinner). Don't miss the Dirty Dancing cabin and see all the movie posters and photographs of the stars when they made the movie at Mountain Lake!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Archdale, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

After receiving a Travel Zoo deal for a one night stay here I absolutely had to go since this is where part of Dirty Dancing is filmed. I had read that the lake was mostly dried up but it was worse than I expected. But nature has a mind of its own and the owners have tried to fix it. the room was really nice. It didnt have a TV which my boyfriend and I actually liked because it made the experience more relaxing. The filming spots for the movie were easy to find. 'Baby's' cabin was the first thing I spotted. Other than the bathroom sink not draining well and the dry lake it was over all a very relaxing, cozy experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Narrows, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

It seems like Mountain Lake has been going downhill for the past year or so. We live in the area and come to the hotel to eat every 4-6 months. In 2011, we came for both Oktoberfest and thanksgiving. Both events were very enjoyable, with good food and great atmosphere. Last summer (August 2012), we took a group of 6 to eat Sunday dinner in the restaurant. Our bill was $230 (tip included), but the food was cafeteria level at best. The salads were of bagged salad quality. The steaks were gristly. The mashed potatoes appeared to be a mixture of fresh and instant potatoes. My wife's manicotti was on par with spaghetti-o's. The server actually warned us to avoid several of the desserts. Finally, my wife and I decided to come to Oktoberfest again this fall (October 2013). They have significantly changed this event and it is now called Bavarian Bash. The food was not good. The quality was poor, and it cost more than in previous years. The sausages were good but aside from
that I think the food was generally a disaster. Here's a clue, too: Germans don't put cream cheese frosting and cinnamon sugar on anything (such as pretzels). The menu selection was very small. The apple strudel appeared to have been purchased from a grocery store. Everything was lukewarm or cold. Also, it was ala carte so we had to whip out the card to pay every single time we wanted something more to eat. When asked about the changes, some staff indicated that new management was responsible and encouraged us to speak to them about our concerns. They even pointed them out at the event. I didn't want to cause a scene so I didn't say anything at the time. I don't know why the food is going downhill but be warned. I haven't stayed at the hotel so I can't comment on that. Surroundings are obviously beautiful

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Heidi S, Director of Sales at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
DryFlyFishing,

There have been many changes at Mountain Lake Lodge since your dining experience in August of 2012. At the end of 2012, Mountain Lake Hotel was closed for five months and underwent a multimillion dollar renovation. The overnight rooms were refreshed, a new aerial adventure course was built, a new Mountain Lake Outfitter was created, our new restaurant Harvest and our new tavern, Stony Creek Tavern were born. As you mentioned, a majority of our management is new along with our philosophy and purpose for Mountain Lake Lodge - a place to connect families to each other and to nature!

I apologize that your dining experience at the new Bavarian Bash was not what you were expecting. Being that we serve the food and beer outside, I know that we experienced tremendous challenges in keeping the food warm on one of the evenings because the outside temperature dropped into the 40's. I agree we need a better solution to keep the food hot even on cold nights! This year we tried to offer some fun food for the kids - a pretzel station! Yes, cream cheese probably isn't traditional German cuisine, but we thought that the kids would appreciate the sweet and the salty!

We did change the food options this year to a la carte menu. Our intent was to cater to everyone. We have received a variety of feedback. Some really appreciated being able to purchase exactly what they wanted to eat. Some liked that they could just buy a beer and brat and didn't have to purchase a whole buffet. Again, our intent was to try to cater to everyone. Thank you for letting us know your preference on the pricing and food arrangements.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we will definitely take it into consideration moving forward.

Kind Regards,

Heidi Stone
Director of Sales & Marketing

Travelers are raving about these Pembroke hotels

Boones Mill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed in the Chestnut Lodge which had a balcony and fireplace. The room was cozy and had plenty of room. Mountain Lake Lodge offers many activities. They have a game room with ping pong, pool tables, air hockey, etc. They also have a variety of hiking trails and outdoor activities. I can't wait for the lake to fill back up and visit Mountain Lake again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

If you stay in one of the lodges on Blueberry Ridge, you will enjoy your visit. The 3 and 4 bedroom units are very nice. There is a full kitchen, screened in porch, fireplace, tv and very comfortable beds.
We had heard with new management the food was greatly improved. Our dinner was reasonably good, but breakfast was a disaster. At both dinner and breakfast, they were short staffed. The coffee was cold, the buffet was luke warm at best. We were never offered any option for breakfast other than the buffet. People waited at least 15 to 20 minutes in line for food to come from the kitchen. When it did come out it was gone before you could go through the line. The food was prepared for 1/3 of the people there.The lodge was full that weekend and they didn't seem prepared for the guest to dine with them. Obviously, we cooked the rest of our meals in our kitchen. It is a shame as they have the potential to be great. They also lost the revenue from 3 meals we had planned on eating in their dining room.

Room Tip: Stay on Blueberry Ridge if you can.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Heidi S, Director of Sales at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Virginiaboater,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during a recent visit. My personal apologies that your dining experience was not up to our standards. Our new Executive Chef, Michael Rork, has recently joined our team and he is making tremendous improvements to the dining experience. I could not agree with your more about HARVEST offering an a la carte breakfast option and we are in the process of making the change this week. Please let me know when you are planning another trip to Mountain Lake Lodge. I would personally like to meet you and thank you for giving our Lodge another opportunity to "wow" you during your dining experience!

Have a wonderful holiday season,

Heidi Stone
Director of Sales & Marketing
Springfield, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nice place. Great for outdoor activities. The 'Dirty Dancing' room was small and not as nice as expected. I loved the drive to the place- it's about 20 minutes up the mountain from the main road. We didn't get the best views as the mountain happened to be covered in fog during out trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!