“Sunday brunch” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Radford, Virginia
“Sunday brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Living in this area for many years, we had always heard about Mountain Lake and its fantastic brunch offered on Sundays. Finally, we decided it was time to give it a try and we made reservations.

We were seated at our table in front of a window with a nice view. Our waitress came in a few minutes, introduced herself, and took our drink orders, and then invited us over to the buffett to get ourselves something to eat. Immediately we noticed that most of the wait staff had food stains all over their shirts. Most of the food was good or very good with the exception of the prime rib which was overcooked and dry. The desserts, of which there were 3 to choose from, were still frozen when served. No bread was offered although we did see bread being brought to a couple of tables. Several of the glasses and flatwear at our table had spots and stains still on them, most likely water spots. Also, and this is particularly important to me, I like my food hot. Many of the dishes were kept uncovered with a bunson burner underneath, but on a cool day with no lid on the food heat was quickly lost I guess, and the food was "warm."

I guess with the reputation Mountain Lake has, at least in this area, we were expecting more. Spending a few minutes wiping down glasses and inspecting flatwear while making sure your waitstaff was cleanly attired would have greatly improved our dining experience. As for the food, most of it was good or very good, but prime rib can be tricky to prepare. However, I do think hot bread should be brought to the table immediately. The surroundings are beautiful. The people were very nice. The service was good. The food disappointing. It's the little things that can make or break a dining experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Heidi S, Director of Sales at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Mike W,

Thank you for letting us know about your disappointing experience at Sunday Brunch. I, too, would have been disappointed with the encounter you describe. Mountain Lake is a beautiful place and your dining experience needed to live up to the fine reputation that Sunday Brunch has had for so many years. We have recently added to our team a new Executive Chef, Michael Rork, and he is making significant changes to both the quality of the service and the food. We continue to have very high standards and want our guests to have nothing but an outstanding dining experience. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to let me know personally when you plan to visit Mountain Lake Lodge in the future.

Kind Regards,

Heidi Stone
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Lodge for an event being held here. That's probably the only reason we would go to a mountain lodge. Our room was small (more European sized than American) but the expectation is that you get out of your room. There is no room TV, but one can be found in the bar. There are also no elevators, not even the tiny European style, so those who need help are shuttled around in golf carts when they request it.
The lodge itself has a certain charm with the thick stone walls and more rustic decor. Activities seem to be all outdoor related, i.e. hiking trails, lake, bocce ball court, tennis court, pool, and outdoor chess board. The biggest claim to fame is that "Dirty Dancing" was filmed here.
The dining room is really lovely with much of the seating near windows that provide beautiful views. The breakfast buffet that was served was great. The white gravy was a little short on pepper, but I added more spice at the table. Otherwise I had to restrain myself from returning for a second helping.
Currently, the lodge is minus a full lake. Repairs to the earthen dam were required and now it's just a waiting game to get the lake back. The views will be much better when it refills.
All in all, it's a lovely venue for special events. Other than that, I think it's too lacking in standard American expectations to be on my list of places I'd recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
VEC24,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us. It is always helpful to hear our guests' visit through their eyes. Yes, a few of our rooms in the Main Lodge do have a European feel with regard to the size. I will let our reservations staff know that they need to to better communicate the size and amenities of the different lodging options.

Yes, you are correct about our lake not being full as of yet. In 2005, our natural, spring-fed lake started to drain. For the past several years, the lake has been on the decline. At the beginning of this year, a team of geologists were able to "plug" the sinkholes and the lake has been filling naturally since the end of March. The research tells us that by next summer we will have at least 2/3 of our lake back! We are planning on being able to offer all of our water activities next summer (canoeing, kayaking, fishing etc).

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with our staff.

Kind Regards,

Heidi Stone
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

What a wonderful treat Mountain Lake Lodge is! They underwent a recent renovation of the rooms and restaurant, and the quality really shows. We stayed in a suite in the main lodge (room 200) and were quite surprised at how big it was. The bedroom and living room were each at least 12' x 20'. Tastefully decorated, very comfortable, and compete with ceiling fans, gas fireplace, and windows that bring in the mountain air. Our meals at Harvest (the restaurant) were first-rate, and fairly priced. I hear the chef came fom the Hay-Adams hotel in DC. The wine and beer prices were not jacked way up, like some resorts do.

Although the lake is low, it's been fixed and hopefully will fill soon. Even so, there is plenty to do and see. We hiked on trails around the property, and might get the courage to do the ropes course next time!

I heartily recommend this place. The effort the owners are making to restore this place really shows in the results.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 200 and would choose it again.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have been going to Mountain lake for over ten years now and I have to say the new owners have changed it for the best! Not only have they renovated the lodge, but they have added great activities such as zip lines. The staff go out of their way to ensure guests enjoy their visit. I can see why in previous years before the renovation people became disenfranchised with this resort, but they are clearly changing for the better and I cannot wait to go again.

Room Tip: Lodge and cabins are great,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is our first visit to the Mountain Lake Lodge.
The place definitely has a charm about it and was very relaxing. We took advantage of just a few of the activities provided including archery lessons and a nature walk- the activity staff were very knowledgeable, helpful and energetic.
The weather was great so we could spend a lot of time outdoors and at night around a campfire.
Our room was in the main lodge which was a pleasant surprise- comfortable and very clean. No TV-it was a nice change. Food and service in the dining room was very good.
Hope to return and will recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Coming to the mountain has become a tradition for us......it is not only beautiful here, but romantic and serene. Now they've added activities and are really at your beck and call. We prefer to stay in the cottages and have loved Norfolk....king bed, jacuzzi tub, nice porch and even a fireplace. New pub is great...and canopy tour was awesome. We will return soon!

• Stayed September 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was impressed with this older hotel. My room was clean and inviting. My bed was wonderful and very comfortable. The views from this place are amazing!! My husband and I will revisit this beautiful place. The grounds are clean and you can watch the sunset from the porch of the lodge. All in all I had a wonderful time. I would recommend eating somewhere else besides the restaurant though for the reason they don't have a lot to choose from. My husband and I did eat at the Harvest, but next time we will eat before going to the lodge. The food isn't horrible, but its just okay. The lodge and the view is what gets my excellent rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!