“Avoid this place if you can. It's gone downhill a lot!” 2 of 5 stars

Mountain Lake Lodge
115 Hotel Circle, Pembroke, VA 24136 (Formerly Mountain Lake Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Rocky Mount, Virginia
“Avoid this place if you can. It's gone downhill a lot!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Like someone else, I was always a big fan of Mountain Lake, and it hurts that I have to write a bad review, but I always review places fairly.

My wife is a huge Dirty Dancing fan, and we've gone before to their "Dirty Dancing Weekends" up here at Mountain Lake. This year, is our 10 year wedding anniversary so I wanted to take her somewhere that we'd both really enjoy and I know would mean something to her. Luckily for us, their Dirty Dancing weekend fell on our anniversary, which was July 19th. We were both so excited to go, and get there.

The moment we got there, started being terrible. When we arrived, there were NO Dirty Dancing ANYTHING in the lobby. In years past, there has been a banner, pictures in the glass case, a cardboard cutout in the lobby, and other things mentioning Dirty Dancing. Nothing this time.

There was no power at the resort, which this is beyond their control I understand but it added to the list of things negative about the place this time. The power did come back on about 2 hours later. No biggie. I checked in at the front desk, and the lady said "I think your room is ready, I'll have to check".. What do you mean you think our room is ready? It's an hour past check-in, it better be ready! Oh well, on to our stay...

We get to our room, and start unpacking. I turned the TV on, and it's stuck on some radio station (yes, on the TV). Now, I have been working in the IT field for many years and am quite a technological savvy guy and can figure stuff out pretty quick. However, it took quite a while of messing with the TV to finally get it to a TV station. Moving on..

We received our vouchers for our meals and I was looking through our papers to see what all has changed with the "millions of dollars in renovations".. I noticed we're missing our lunch vouchers. I called the front desk, and they say that lunch isn't included in the package any longer. This really sucks because a simple cheeseburger in their dining room cost $9! So, on Saturday we had to drive off the mountain and go to nearby Perisburg just to eat lunch.

Now that the lack of Dirty Dancing memorabilia and no lunch being included has already fueled our fire to be displeased with the place, let's continue shall we.. We go to the gift shop, and there is one measly table set up with Dirty Dancing stuff on it to buy. While we looked at the 3 items they had for sale (okay, exaggerating a bit there), we hear the cashier tell a lady purchasing a shirt that "they were new this year".. No my dear, they aren't new. My wife purchased that exact shirt last year. I asked the cashier where did the millions of dollars in renovations go because we can't see the first renovation except new signs. She said that the resort was trying to focus on art and outdoor people and do away with Dirty Dancing stuff.

Now, talking about outdoors, this place has a TON of things to do outside. Tennis, hiking, corn hole, volleyball, etc. However, you can't do anything!!! The gnats are so horrible, you dread going from your room (if you're outside) to the main lodge. We went on the tour showing where parts of the movie were filmed, and left at the second stop because of the swarms of gnats. We tried outdoor act ivies but the bugs were just so bad. The front desk told us that it was because of the lack of wind that day. No sir, it wasn't because of the lack of wind, it's been like this for days! (as discussed with our new friends who had already been there for 4 days).. It's not nice to lie. We also tried to walk a trail, but it was so narrow and grown up, you couldn't go 500ft before turning around. So the whole "appealing to outdoor activities" is obviously just a ploy to get rid of the Dirty Dancing stuff. With millions of dollars of renovations, you would think they could actually take care of the yard. The grass was high, and what WAS cut, was blown into the mushroom lights and looked very tacky. Plus spray for bugs isn't THAT expensive!

Now let's move along... It's Friday night, time for a dance. Wait, a dance? Last year there was karakoke and a DJ, and the dance was a lot of fun. This year it was a jazz band called Ratatouille which if you're 85 years old, it's a great band. However for the crowd that was there, was horrible. EVERYONE (even the older women) at our table was complaining about it. We left at 10:30 and was some of the last people in the barn. We went to the bar which was closing because the bartenders road flooded and she needed to get home. We understood that though and had no issues. Well it's still early, let's go to the pool. Oh no, wait, the pool closes at 6 according to the sign. 6pm? really? whatever..

So Saturday comes along, we eat breakfast and drive off the mountain to have fun and get lunch and such. We pretty much kill the day off the mountain until dinner. I was so excited for dinner because last year it was so good. HA! I forgot, new ownership... The food was TERRIBLE. I got a salad and sat down to eat it. I asked my waitress for Ranch dressing. You know, one of the most popular salad dressings out there? "Oh I'm sorry, we ran out last night and don't have any"... You ran out? Walmart is 20 minutes away and you ran out LAST NIGHT? What sort of food establishment doesn't have Ranch dressing? The green beans were obviously undercooked and from a can. The bread was hard as a brick, the chicken was nasty, and it just was not good, period. I looked like a 10 year old as I had a plate of mashed potatoes 7" high, with 4 brownies on my plate. I had to eat SOMETHING though. (Fridays meal was good might I add, they had BBQ chicken, and Ranch for the salad. Dessert sucked though as it was something with pecans, or cheesecake. That was it).

We then headed to the barn for the dance, and got there early to play airhockey upstairs in the heated sauna. Well, nevermind, it's not even an airhockey table a couple can enjoy. It's a 6 person airhockey table, 2 people can't play! (you can, but if you hit it you score. What fun is that?) So we make it through the dance, all was good there. I even paid the $5 for a bottle of beer.

So Sunday morning rolls around, and we're on vacation. This is the last day. Let's sleep late, get up and leave. Not so fast! Breakfast is over at 9:30. Seriously? You're on vacation and you have to get up early just so you don't miss breakfast? So we get there to eat and guess what, THEY ARE OUT OF FOOD!! No pancakes, no potatoes, no sausage. They did fill it up, but only with a little bit so it kept running out. The line stayed long to get food because people had to wait on food!

Oh I forgot to add, we had a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on our door Saturday morning. That obviously means nothing as housekeeping went ahead and came in anyway and cleaned the room. Good thing we didn't leave our valuables out or underwear on the bed. VERY disrespectful.

Thankfully, let's eat and LEAVE!

Now, I know a lot of people skim over reviews, especially long ones so I apologize for such a long review but I wanted to share my horrible experience with everyone. In a nutshell, if you're looking for somewhere to stay, I would HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere. If you like bugs and want outdoor adventure, this is the place for you. I wouldn't eat or sleep here though. Since the new owners have taken over, they have put this place in the gutter. My family and I will never return here. It's not just me though, we met 5 other couples here who said the exact same thing, they won't be back either. That's just who WE talked to. We told our friends from last year and they said they wouldn't go back either with these changes. So I will sign off with these bulletpoints.

The bad:
-No Dirty Dancing stuff anymore, except a small handful of stuff.
-Lunch not included in the Dirty Dancing package anymore.
-The gnats everywhere.
-Spa was at boiling point. Drop an egg in it, 10 minutes later it's done. Very hot!
-Heated pool was heated enough for ice to melt, no more. You could preserve a body in the ice pond they call a pool.
-Disrespectful cleaning service just goes right in.
-Dinner is not a good meal anymore. No Ranch either!
-Breakfast runs out after the first few guests.
-gnats, did I mention gnats?
-Unless you like "big band music", you're going to be highly disappointed in the music.
-Lack of knowledge from the staff, about the movie.
-I don't think the lodge has TVs in rooms. We were in a cottage though.
-No air conditioning. They've never had this though I don't believe.

The good:
-Rt 700 & Rt 613 to get you off of the mountain away from this place.
-The bartender. She at least knows what she is doing.
-The gentlemen who does the scene tours. He knows his stuff!

If you have been to Dirty Dancing weekend prior to 2013, then you have had a blast and can relate to this post. If you're thinking about coming back for a second time, save your money. With the new management this place is in the gutter now.

The end.

Room Tip: Go to a Holiday Inn or somewhere in Blacksburg. You will seriously be wasting your money here. They...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Macon, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights courtesy of Travelzoo in a "junior suite" looking out at the shrunken lake and pool.They had to work on the lake bed as the water was almost gone from one of the 2 natural lakes in Virginia. Even now it's only about 1/3 full. The inn itself is a stone 2 story lodge with older but clean,comfortable & quiet rooms. We had a big king bed,microzap and small refrig + coffee/tea in the room. Had a Jacuzzi tub,and a big sitting room with a desk,several tables 2 over-stuffed chairs,and a sofa-----only 1 lamp + overhead fan light left it pretty dim,but enough to be able to use the free wi-fi internet. The Harvest restaurant (only food choice except vending machines) was reviewed separately.With our certificates for 2 nights,we got $100 dining credit to cover most of our meal cost. My wife took the archery lesson,and we had planned to go river tubing,but too much rain had closed the river,so our $100 activ ity credit went mostly unused. The grounds are kept neatly trimmed and spotlessly clean,and the setting with the surrounding mountains is beautiful. We did do the Knob overlook hike,but my arms and legs are still itching from the horrible gnats and bugs which made the climb to the top a forced torment. Coming down when you could keep moving was much better than the climb up when the bugs would swarm all over you whenever we paused to rest. If the bugs are still out---skip the climb. The view isn't worth the torture---you can see the same view on any overlook on the BR Parkway. Nice getaway for a couple of days,but be aware of the dining limitations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear kingfather,

Thank you for your comments - yes, the rain we've been experiencing the last few weeks has been great for the lake but does indeed challenge our and our outfitter partners to modify their schedules. It sounds like you did enjoy the stay and I appreciate your comments on limited food options - we are constantly trying to offer more options and as we continue to refresh the resort, we hope to offer additional dining outlets. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the Travel Zoo offer - we've received many first time visitors to the property using this special and I hope you'll find time in future travels to visit us again.

Gum Spring, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have been going to Mountain Lake every summer since 2007, so it makes me sad to write a negative review. This year I noticed that they are now pet friendly. No problem, we love pets, but our son is asthmatic and allergic to dogs and cats, so we need to stay in a room that does not allow pets. I called the hotel, explained our situation, and was told that only the Blueberry Ridge cabins are pet friendly. I was informed that the room that we would be staying in did NOT allow pets (Norfolk/Dorland). You can imagine our surprise when we checked in to find guests with dogs a few doors down. When my husband called the front desk he was informed that our room was pet friendly after all. After checking we were told that no pets had been in that room yet, but we were hesitant to take that as fact, as we had been assured that the room was not pet friendly previously. Luckily we had all of our son's allergy medication with us and he had no reaction, but we won't be staying here again. I hate to write this review, but I feel that it's important for guests with medical needs to be informed before booking.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear mleonard216,

I was sorry to read of your issues booking and with our new pet-friendly status. I too have allergies and am aware that we must assure our guests are provided accurate information at every step during their stay. When we introduced our new pet program, we were overwhelmed with requests - so much so that we needed to expand the original Blueberry Ridge area to accommodate requests. We now have pet-friendly accommodations in Blueberry Ridge, Richmond, Thompson, Norfolk, Dorland and one floor of Chestnut Lodge. The main stone lodge and the top floor of Chestnut Lodge, as well as all of our historic cabins, front lawn cabins and five Blueberry Ridge homes are all pet-free.

I do hope that you'll consider us for another visit and despite the misinformation, you were able to enjoy the property. As we continue to refresh and renew the proeprty, we will continue to gauge our pet programs but we will always have areas that are completely free from animals.

Warm regards,

Newfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights and 3 days at Mountain Lake Lodge. There was no air conditioning, no television and no cell phone reception...but it really didn't detract from our visit. We never needed the AC, it was plenty cool at night and they do have wifi for e-mail. The building and grounds are beautiful. There are plenty of activities; pool, jacuzzi, tennis, hiking trails, biking, etc. Great place to spend a few days.

Dear Ed S.,

Thank you for your comments - and recognizing the value of disconnecting - what we consider to be one of our biggest attractions. The cool mountain nights and not-so-warm days are truly a refreshing break from the "lowlands" where temperatures are consistently 10-15 degrees hotter than up here on top of the world.

I'm very glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you will find time to return again in the near future.

Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This my second trip to Mountain Lake. Note, I called lodge and got a much better price than offered on internet???? This time I had room on main floor near front desk, near restaurant.
I arrived around 5PM and settled in then went to outdoor hot tub, no rail old people like me, it was nice and hot but still had a little trouble getting in and out. Pool was busy, so I just went to restaurant for dinner. Note; service and good but food not as good as before, and since food now not included, I will pack my own food next time. New carpet in restaurant and lodge rooms gave a better look that last year. I missed inside hot tub but they have new fitness center although I found machines hard to use?
After dinner and after dark they put off fireworks, I went down to covered boat dock and were fairly close to fireworks. Some had special designs and looked good although fireworks only lasted about 10 minutes.
Next morning up early and walk along indian trail around dry lake, note this took a long time up and down and threw the woods and when i finally got to lake house and Mountain Lake road, I took road and got back to lodge wet and tired. It was very foggy, and wind was blowing it in waves.
After back at lodge, I had a dip in pool and hot tub, felt so good and watched fog and clouds glide over top of mountain and down and around the lodge. My biggest complaint is time goes too fast, next time I want to stay two nights and will go back to Chestnut Lodge which is quieter and more private than main Lodge. I am looking forward to coming back, Oh by the way I took a gallon of water for the lake and if everyone coming up to lake would bring some water maybe we could get the lake filled faster.

Room Tip: The main lodge is nice but no tv or ac and not as quiet and remote lodges, like chestnut.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear george g,

Thank you for your comments. You offered some great feedback and I'll be sure I share it with my team so that may make things better for future guests - we're always striving for better performance. I'm very happy you had a relaxing stay and do hope you'll be able to plan more time next visit - and I love your bringing us water! Our lake is filling much faster than any of us imagined and every drop helps - thank you so much for your contribution!

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Few properties in the Mid-Atlantic region have the history of Mountain Lake Lodge, a secluded and scenic retreat just west of Blacksburg, Virginia. Mountain Lake enjoys a rich heritage with generations of families from all around the country returning to the main hotel, its smaller lodges and cabins to experience its history and now, the new and exciting developments taking place. Of course, it is well known as the location for the filming of the movie Dirty Dancing,
Jeff Burrell, the resort’s new manager, oversees the restoration of the property, including the lake, the victim of a cycle of recent reduced annual rainfall. There is also the renovation of the main lodge and its restaurant, Harvest, with its emphasis on locally sourced foods. Mountain Lake’s management brings a new focus on outdoor adventure themed activities including an extensive zip line course, geocaching, orienteering, hiking, bouldering, archery and cycling.
My wife and I have been vacationing at Mountain Lake for years. We are fond of the place. Our interest has always been in the serenity and outdoor activities it offers. We planned a long 4th of July weekend and, knowing of the effort to store the lake and the resort’s other amenities, we booked three nights in the Chestnut Lodge, a favorite of ours.
We live in Charleston, West Virginia, and so its is a simple drive of under three hours on I-77 to Routes 460 and 700. The road up mountain is winding, but easy enough. When you enter the lodge, the changes are subtle, but apparent to the seasoned eye. Slight changes in decor and furnishings and a quick and helpful response at the front desk signal there are adjustments taking place.
Our room at Chestnut Lodge was familiar, but had received similar freshening since our last stay. Nearby, the old building housing the gift shop and guest activities had been removed and replaced with a larger facility above the old location. The open space created by the removal of the old gift shop structure may be the site of a new small amphitheater. The giant outdoor chess set, the Bocci Ball court and swimming pools remain as well as Mary’s Barn, where various classes are taught, concerts held and dancing takes place.
On our second full day, a long hike took us past the new zip line course. Judging from the number of people gliding overhead or balanced on swaying ropes, poles and chains, it is already a popular attraction. The weather cooperated as we hiked an easy three mile course, ending on Indian Trail. We skirted the lake, stopping to watch a company from New York set up that night’s fireworks display (which was excellent).
Harvest, the restaurant in the main lodge, offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which are not included with the room charge as was the custom in the past. The service was good to excellent, depending on the staff. Breakfast was a simple buffet of standard fare, well prepared and plentiful. We did not eat lunch there, but had two dinners. We were very pleased with the quality of the food, its presentation and delivery. We opted for dessert on our first night, the Blueberry Bread Pudding was what you might hope for in a dessert with that name. We ate well.
We have great hopes for Mountain Lake. It is certainly worth the effort and certainly worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Stephen W,

Thank you so much for your kind review - it is true, Mountain Lake is the first property I have personally worked at with literally generations of families as guests - it makes the work we are doing to revitalize this special place all the more important. I was very please to read your positive comments and am very happy you had a good time and are already planning a return stay. We have much planned in the coming months - special events, more entertainment, music festivals and a completely new approach to October and the celebrations of autumn. And that's just the beginning, we're beginning to finalize plans for winter activities and are already working on next summer. Thank you again for your ongoing loyalty and I hope to see you again on your next visit!

Jeffery Burrel
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Come here for the scenery and nature,
the lake is filling up and there are lots of mountains to climb. A must is the treetops adventure, go on this adventure course with zip lines. I did miss the 4th of July annual fireworks and it's big family picnic. This year the picnic was small and the fireworks are not until July 6th.

• Stayed July 2013
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Mary14365,

Thank you for your comments - based on your ratings, I see that you appear to have enjoyed your stay. Regarding your comments about quality vs. quantity, I'm sorry you felt our BBQ on the 4th was small. While yes, we did offer a more limited menu than in the past, I do sincerely hope you enjoyed the quality of the food. As part of the property's renovations, we looked at how the property offered programs in teh past and have needed to make modifications - including scaling back the buffet offerings the resort had offered in the past. Our commitment to cuisine that is well prepared, using local ingredients and seasonally-relevant options do result in fewer options. And our decision to move the July 4th fireworks was based in large part on our engaging the local communities so as to not "compete" with others who are doing fireworks on the 4th as well - our goal is not to detract from the community but to support it in every way possible. Our celebrations for the Independance Day holiday was designed to be four days of unique events that would allow resort guests and the community to enjoy all that we have to offer. I do hope you enjoyed your stay and will be back again in the future - we're constantly refining what we have to offer and are excited to share it with our guests.

Warm regards,

Jeffery Burrell

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!