“Book with caution if you have pet allergies in your party” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save 15%!
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Pembroke
Gum Spring, Virginia
“Book with caution if you have pet allergies in your party”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have been going to Mountain Lake every summer since 2007, so it makes me sad to write a negative review. This year I noticed that they are now pet friendly. No problem, we love pets, but our son is asthmatic and allergic to dogs and cats, so we need to stay in a room that does not allow pets. I called the hotel, explained our situation, and was told that only the Blueberry Ridge cabins are pet friendly. I was informed that the room that we would be staying in did NOT allow pets (Norfolk/Dorland). You can imagine our surprise when we checked in to find guests with dogs a few doors down. When my husband called the front desk he was informed that our room was pet friendly after all. After checking we were told that no pets had been in that room yet, but we were hesitant to take that as fact, as we had been assured that the room was not pet friendly previously. Luckily we had all of our son's allergy medication with us and he had no reaction, but we won't be staying here again. I hate to write this review, but I feel that it's important for guests with medical needs to be informed before booking.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear mleonard216,

I was sorry to read of your issues booking and with our new pet-friendly status. I too have allergies and am aware that we must assure our guests are provided accurate information at every step during their stay. When we introduced our new pet program, we were overwhelmed with requests - so much so that we needed to expand the original Blueberry Ridge area to accommodate requests. We now have pet-friendly accommodations in Blueberry Ridge, Richmond, Thompson, Norfolk, Dorland and one floor of Chestnut Lodge. The main stone lodge and the top floor of Chestnut Lodge, as well as all of our historic cabins, front lawn cabins and five Blueberry Ridge homes are all pet-free.

I do hope that you'll consider us for another visit and despite the misinformation, you were able to enjoy the property. As we continue to refresh and renew the proeprty, we will continue to gauge our pet programs but we will always have areas that are completely free from animals.

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Newfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights and 3 days at Mountain Lake Lodge. There was no air conditioning, no television and no cell phone reception...but it really didn't detract from our visit. We never needed the AC, it was plenty cool at night and they do have wifi for e-mail. The building and grounds are beautiful. There are plenty of activities; pool, jacuzzi, tennis, hiking trails, biking, etc. Great place to spend a few days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ed S.,

Thank you for your comments - and recognizing the value of disconnecting - what we consider to be one of our biggest attractions. The cool mountain nights and not-so-warm days are truly a refreshing break from the "lowlands" where temperatures are consistently 10-15 degrees hotter than up here on top of the world.

I'm very glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you will find time to return again in the near future.

Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This my second trip to Mountain Lake. Note, I called lodge and got a much better price than offered on internet???? This time I had room on main floor near front desk, near restaurant.
I arrived around 5PM and settled in then went to outdoor hot tub, no rail old people like me, it was nice and hot but still had a little trouble getting in and out. Pool was busy, so I just went to restaurant for dinner. Note; service and good but food not as good as before, and since food now not included, I will pack my own food next time. New carpet in restaurant and lodge rooms gave a better look that last year. I missed inside hot tub but they have new fitness center although I found machines hard to use?
After dinner and after dark they put off fireworks, I went down to covered boat dock and were fairly close to fireworks. Some had special designs and looked good although fireworks only lasted about 10 minutes.
Next morning up early and walk along indian trail around dry lake, note this took a long time up and down and threw the woods and when i finally got to lake house and Mountain Lake road, I took road and got back to lodge wet and tired. It was very foggy, and wind was blowing it in waves.
After back at lodge, I had a dip in pool and hot tub, felt so good and watched fog and clouds glide over top of mountain and down and around the lodge. My biggest complaint is time goes too fast, next time I want to stay two nights and will go back to Chestnut Lodge which is quieter and more private than main Lodge. I am looking forward to coming back, Oh by the way I took a gallon of water for the lake and if everyone coming up to lake would bring some water maybe we could get the lake filled faster.

Room Tip: The main lodge is nice but no tv or ac and not as quiet and remote lodges, like chestnut.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear george g,

Thank you for your comments. You offered some great feedback and I'll be sure I share it with my team so that may make things better for future guests - we're always striving for better performance. I'm very happy you had a relaxing stay and do hope you'll be able to plan more time next visit - and I love your bringing us water! Our lake is filling much faster than any of us imagined and every drop helps - thank you so much for your contribution!

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Few properties in the Mid-Atlantic region have the history of Mountain Lake Lodge, a secluded and scenic retreat just west of Blacksburg, Virginia. Mountain Lake enjoys a rich heritage with generations of families from all around the country returning to the main hotel, its smaller lodges and cabins to experience its history and now, the new and exciting developments taking place. Of course, it is well known as the location for the filming of the movie Dirty Dancing,
Jeff Burrell, the resort’s new manager, oversees the restoration of the property, including the lake, the victim of a cycle of recent reduced annual rainfall. There is also the renovation of the main lodge and its restaurant, Harvest, with its emphasis on locally sourced foods. Mountain Lake’s management brings a new focus on outdoor adventure themed activities including an extensive zip line course, geocaching, orienteering, hiking, bouldering, archery and cycling.
My wife and I have been vacationing at Mountain Lake for years. We are fond of the place. Our interest has always been in the serenity and outdoor activities it offers. We planned a long 4th of July weekend and, knowing of the effort to store the lake and the resort’s other amenities, we booked three nights in the Chestnut Lodge, a favorite of ours.
We live in Charleston, West Virginia, and so its is a simple drive of under three hours on I-77 to Routes 460 and 700. The road up mountain is winding, but easy enough. When you enter the lodge, the changes are subtle, but apparent to the seasoned eye. Slight changes in decor and furnishings and a quick and helpful response at the front desk signal there are adjustments taking place.
Our room at Chestnut Lodge was familiar, but had received similar freshening since our last stay. Nearby, the old building housing the gift shop and guest activities had been removed and replaced with a larger facility above the old location. The open space created by the removal of the old gift shop structure may be the site of a new small amphitheater. The giant outdoor chess set, the Bocci Ball court and swimming pools remain as well as Mary’s Barn, where various classes are taught, concerts held and dancing takes place.
On our second full day, a long hike took us past the new zip line course. Judging from the number of people gliding overhead or balanced on swaying ropes, poles and chains, it is already a popular attraction. The weather cooperated as we hiked an easy three mile course, ending on Indian Trail. We skirted the lake, stopping to watch a company from New York set up that night’s fireworks display (which was excellent).
Harvest, the restaurant in the main lodge, offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which are not included with the room charge as was the custom in the past. The service was good to excellent, depending on the staff. Breakfast was a simple buffet of standard fare, well prepared and plentiful. We did not eat lunch there, but had two dinners. We were very pleased with the quality of the food, its presentation and delivery. We opted for dessert on our first night, the Blueberry Bread Pudding was what you might hope for in a dessert with that name. We ate well.
We have great hopes for Mountain Lake. It is certainly worth the effort and certainly worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Stephen W,

Thank you so much for your kind review - it is true, Mountain Lake is the first property I have personally worked at with literally generations of families as guests - it makes the work we are doing to revitalize this special place all the more important. I was very please to read your positive comments and am very happy you had a good time and are already planning a return stay. We have much planned in the coming months - special events, more entertainment, music festivals and a completely new approach to October and the celebrations of autumn. And that's just the beginning, we're beginning to finalize plans for winter activities and are already working on next summer. Thank you again for your ongoing loyalty and I hope to see you again on your next visit!

Jeffery Burrel
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Come here for the scenery and nature,
the lake is filling up and there are lots of mountains to climb. A must is the treetops adventure, go on this adventure course with zip lines. I did miss the 4th of July annual fireworks and it's big family picnic. This year the picnic was small and the fireworks are not until July 6th.

• Stayed July 2013
Jeffery B, General Manager at Mountain Lake Lodge, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Mary14365,

Thank you for your comments - based on your ratings, I see that you appear to have enjoyed your stay. Regarding your comments about quality vs. quantity, I'm sorry you felt our BBQ on the 4th was small. While yes, we did offer a more limited menu than in the past, I do sincerely hope you enjoyed the quality of the food. As part of the property's renovations, we looked at how the property offered programs in teh past and have needed to make modifications - including scaling back the buffet offerings the resort had offered in the past. Our commitment to cuisine that is well prepared, using local ingredients and seasonally-relevant options do result in fewer options. And our decision to move the July 4th fireworks was based in large part on our engaging the local communities so as to not "compete" with others who are doing fireworks on the 4th as well - our goal is not to detract from the community but to support it in every way possible. Our celebrations for the Independance Day holiday was designed to be four days of unique events that would allow resort guests and the community to enjoy all that we have to offer. I do hope you enjoyed your stay and will be back again in the future - we're constantly refining what we have to offer and are excited to share it with our guests.

Springfield, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

It makes me sad about what I am going to say. My family has been vacationing each summer at Mountain Lake since June 2000. My daughter's wedding was there June 15, 2013 and the event staff is FANTASTIC!!! Austin with maintainence is WONDERFUL!!! It's the front desk that I had THE most issue with and after trying to be very nice with the front desk manager, Joshua. I was placated and pretty much dismissed. After spending over $5000 for my daughter's wedding, and the business that was brought in for them that weekend, I expected better responses than what I got. Several of our wedding guests said they didn't know why we like it there so much. They were never coming back. I am very sad because we LOVE this place so much and they were such a disappointment to my family and friends. The good thing was the wedding was PERFECT thanks to Lyndsi and her crew!

Room Tip: My family always stay in the Blueberry Ridge cabins and we love them!!! Fincastle, Pearisburg, Spruc...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ellyn S.

Thank you for sharing your positive and not so positive feedback. While I certainly do not wish to minimize the impact of our mis-steps, I do truly hope your daughter enjoyed her special day. We are committed to delivering an elevated level of service and I am truly sorry that we failed in that respect in the Front Office. Feedback like yours is not always easy to hear but exactly what we need to allow us the opportunity to constantly improve. I do also hope that your guests - and you - don't lose faith and will allow us the honor of welcoming you back. Mountain Lake is a very special place and it is that way in large part to the support of passionate and committed guests like you.

Please feel free to contact either Lyndsi or I directly for further assistance with any remaining items not already addressed.

Meridian, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a week at MLL with a Road Scholar hiking group and couldn't have been happier. The lodge and property is breathtaking and of course, we had to watch Dirty Dancing one night while we were there. The food was excellent as well as the service and we didn't miss the TV or AC. We particularly enjoyed the history of the lodge and are so pleased that the character and charm of the original design are being preserved. Thanks again for a great experience.
Don and Donia Evans
Meridian, MS

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear rdevans4841,

Thank you so much for your positive comments - I'm delighted you enjoyed the Road Scholar program and your accommodations. I'm glad you were able to find some time to enjoy all we had to offer while keeping up with your exciting program schedule! We love the Road Scholar program and I hope you'll join us again in the very near future.

Jeffery Burrell

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!