“The Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Pearisburg B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, Virginia
“The Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We LOVED the Inn at Riverbend! Jimm and Janet were excellent hosts.. the food was delicious, and the bed and those sheets were phenomenal. While I love to socialize, I really needed to relax and that's just what my husband and I did. We also enjoyed visiting nearby Mountain Lake and hiking Cascade Falls. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Linda H, Owner at Inn at Riverbend, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We are so glad that you enjoyed the Comphy sheets. We love the feel of them and that we never need to iron them. They are great! Cascade Falls is beautiful any time of the year. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Let me start by saying, I am a very difficult person to please or impress. I know this is not my best quality but after nearly 4 decades of living, I have come to accept my critical eye. With that being said, my husband and I just came back from an incredible weekend at the Inn at Riverbend. Everything about our experience was top-notch. The inn is a magical place and Janet and Jimm, the innkeepers, are wonderful people. Everything about the inn is luxurious without being pretentious. It is nestled in New River Valley, and every room in the inn has a picturesque view of the New River. The rooms are even more beautiful than they appear in pictures, and the breakfast is delicious and plentiful. Janet and Jimm are the consummate hosts; they have perfected the art of hospitality. By the end of our first day there, we had begun planning our second visit. The only bad part of our trip was when we had to leave (sigh, the kids can’t raise themselves, or could they…).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Pros: This is the perfect place for those looking to get away for a quiet weekend and for exploring the New River Valley. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable. We had a great view of the Valley and the hosts were a pleasure to interact with.
Cons: The nearest tourist destinations are a ways away. This really comes into play since only breakfast is provided-- it can be a long, dark drive to the nearest food options, which is something to consider. There is a small fridge for guests, so it is possible to pack provisions for a short stay. So all in all, map out your activities and dining options, and talk to the hosts if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Angels Rest and Palisades were on the top floor, which is near the dining area and could be a little...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jimm B, Owner at Inn at Riverbend, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thanks for your visit and for exploring the New River Valley. The valley, New River and Appalachian Mountains certainly meld into some fantastic views and can be the gateway to many activities or just relaxing and reading a book. A hike on the Appalachian Trail or up to Cascade Falls offer exquisite views. The Bank Food and Drink and The Palisades Restaurant do offer wonderful farm-to-table meals and ever changing, very creative menus. While The Palisades Restaurant is about 20 minutes away, many find it takes less time to get there than dining in their home towns and The Bank Food and Drink takes about 9 minutes if you get caught at both our stop lights. Darkness can come early in the winter though. I'm glad we are back to daylight savings time!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights on our way back to SC from MI. After the hectic holidays my husband and I were looking forward to a restful retreat. This place is absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in the Angel's Rest room which was perfectly situated in the southeast corner of the B&B, with a fabulous view. The room was spotless, comfortable and beautifully appointed. Our host, Jimm has hospitality down to a science and our hostess-chef, Janet has culinary skills to rival any top restaurant. For dinner Jimm suggested the Palisades Restaurant nearby. The food was so good we went back again the next night too. We also hiked to Cascade Falls which was beautiful to see since it was partially frozen. My husband and I hope to make this our annual stop each year after Christmas when traveling back from our home in MI to our winter home in SC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

In the midst of a challenging year, spending a delayed anniversary / get away weekend at the Inn at Riverbend was a perfect oasis! Our room was meticulously clean and comfortable with a GORGEOUS view; our breakfasts were delicious. We are so appreciative of the special attention given to our dietary needs. Janet and Jim are warm and welcoming hosts--clearly focused on making our visit special. Honestly, I selfishly do not want the word to get out too much but Jim and Janet deserve to be as busy as they want to be! We will definitely return--Rachael & Bassam

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful anniversary weekend at Inn at Riverbend. Jimm and Janet were great hosts. Breakfast was wonderful and we very much enjoyed simply spending time in the room enjoying the view--it was really too cool to enjoy the balcony/desks. Now we have an excuse to travel again simply to visit in another, warmer season. Many thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level may be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jimm B, Owner at Inn at Riverbend, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We loved having you celebrate your anniversary weekend with us. While it can be downright cold at times in the winter, the view of snow-capped mountains and steam rising from the New River can be awe inspiring! Just dream of the leave coming out in the spring - 40,000 shades of green - OK - I don't really know if there are 40,000 shades, but there are a lot!!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I just returned from an absolutely wonderful getaway here. Beyond the view outside, the home is beautifully decorated and comfortable in the best way. JT and I felt as if we were walking around our own home, rather than stay in a strange location. Both Janet and Jimm have hospitality down to a science (which makes sense as they both were scientists in their past lives). In addition to the details that made all of the difference (e.g., e-mailing to let us know we could cancel our stay without penalty due to weather concerns, leaving a note with all the information we'd need, remembering that my husband roasts coffee), they have an unbeatable view and charming location. Finally, Jimm and Janet seem to be able to adjust to the needs of their guests -- possibly because they sensed JT and my introversion, they gave us plenty of time and space to re-charge, while making sure we were aware that they were available if we needed anything at all. I was kicking myself that I had forgotten to bring cash to tip, because the stay was, without a doubt, world-class. I'm sure we'll return in the future!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pearisburg
Mountain Lake Lodge
MacArthur Inn
MacArthur Inn
#1 of 1 in Narrows
4.0 of 5 stars 29 reviews

Been to Inn at Riverbend? Share your experiences!