“Fantastic Hiking Hostel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pearisburg
Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat
You added Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
3696 Sugar Run Rd, Pearisburg, VA 24134   |
Lexington, Virginia
“Fantastic Hiking Hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at the Woods Hole hostel during my Appalachian Trail section-hike this summer. The place is run by Neville & her husband Michael and they offer two types of accommodations...the main house and a bunkhouse. During my one-night stay, I noted no discrimination by the owners toward those persons staying in the bunkhouse.

Woods Hole hostel is as self-sustaining as possible with Neville & Michael growing or raising most of the food served there. The atmosphere definitely reminds one of a 60s hippie commune...fresh-baked bread and wholesome food. Neville requested (but did not demand) that we all pitch in and help with the meal clean-up. Before serving, we all joined hands and told the group where we were from and what we were thankful for.

When I left the next morning, Neville was very professional about settling the charges. The owners even maintain a jar where you can donate for others who might not be able to afford to stay there. Please realize that Woods Hole is a business and does not operate on "donations" like some other hostels along the AT.

I enjoyed my experience at Woods Hole so much that I will be returning later this year with my wife.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
woodsholehostel, Owner at Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, September 14, 2014
Hello. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and perspective. We value positive feed back.. as it just makes us want to try harder and do better. We have come to really value and love what we do here. We hope to only grow, prosper, and be more nurturing in this wonderful experience we have come to love and share with so many. We do hope you find time to bring your wife for a visit. Until then, again, Thank you for your kind and supportive words. Neville & Michael

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bluefield, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed at Woods Hole with 5 others on our way through hiking the AT...In our group we were honored to have a young woman, an Army Veteran. This young woman was hiking the AT in support of returning soldiers, in an effort to raise awareness at the alarming rate of suicide among returning veterans.
Michael was extremely rude to this young woman (who, along with her mother) was staying in the main house. His manner was gruff & rude to the remainder of the group staying in the bunk house...during my time there he never spoke a single word directly to me or even asked my name. My bed consisted of one of many 3" pads thrown into a barren room. It became apparent early upon my arrival that I should keep my distance from Michael and the main house. I cannot say enough about how rude & gruff his manner was...constantly reminding the "crowd" what the petty rules were...to the point we all felt we were in the way (and not paying guests). The next morning was Sunday and no breakfast was served...(we might as well have stayed at Doc's Knob shelter 2 1/2 miles away....)
I will take a moment to say that all this rude behavior came from the husband Michael. The wife, Neville, on the other hand was as sweet and polite as she could possibly be, taking time to explain that since just returning from a long trip she felt too tired to cook on Sunday and asked for our understanding...which we did. When it came time to pay up Michael stood over her shoulder at the computer barking instructions on how to charge every penny he could...I even paid for services I didn't receive just to cut my experience with him short. If I thought Neville was running the place with someone else I would return...(she is a very nice person...)...otherwise I would not recommend it...just keep hiking....David D

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello. Again, I think that evening as a hard evening for all of us. Weary from our travels, and ready to settle into a quiet home, we were not prepared to have so many wonderful guests to welcome into our home and business. We continue to learn from that evening.. and regret that we had not been better prepared to greet you with open arms. We look at that evening as an opportunity to learn how to nurture not only our business but also ourselves. We apologize sincerely that you did not walk away from here as so many do, feeling refreshed and renewed from their experience at Woods Hole.
Mount Carmel, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Our family visited woods Hole Hostel while my daughter was a thru hiker on the AT. I loved the feeling of hiding out, away from the everday rat race. While there, we were made to feel as more than guests-more like a community. The organic, self sustaining nature of the farm was very interesting. Michael and Neville, current owners, are down to earth and offered to help in anyway they could. We stayed in the loft room, so a real bed and bath-compared to the bunk house which has more primitive accomodations. I will definitely visit again, given the chance to hide out for at least a weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Whittier, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stopped here while hiking along the Appalachian Trail. Neville and Michael really make you part of the family with an inviting atmosphere and delicious home-cooked meals. I stayed in the bunkhouse and while it is not an upscale place, it contributes to the friendly group atmosphere. Also, be prepared for goats, chickens, and dogs migrating around the house.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Luling, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I found Woods Hole on Trip Advisor while planning a trip to Blacksburg, Va. I found Woods Hole appealing because of its location and especially it's history. I stayed for two nights and met some great people!!

Neville and Michael are, without a doubt, the most hospitable people you could want. They are both very sincere honest people who bring a "hippie" sort of atmosphere to a great establishment! Michael and Neville are developing an establishment that could easily become "off the grid" and self sufficient !! Neville and Michael put their hearts into this establishment and IT SHOWS !
Woods Hole is a working farm complete with gardens, cows, pigs and of course chickens. It has a bunk house for Appalachian Trail hikers. The bunk house was originally a place for Neville's grandfather to park his car. Michael and Neville have done an amazing job converting it to a warm dry place to socialize and rest...
If you like the "off the beaten path" kind of place, this place is for you !!
I will return...

Room Tip: There are 2 private rooms and a bunk house for the AT hikers... It's an awesome experience!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great home-cooked meals (dinner & breakfast).

I slept in the bunk house. It's a bunk house, you're sleeping on the floor and its draughty.

Don't expect the Hyatt for the price you are paying (35$ for bead dinner & breakfast).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came back to Woods Hole having been there before. I had hiked through here last year and was surprised and uplifted by my stay. A more recent trip brought me back for the express purpose of revisiting this wonderful place. Neville and Michael pour their hearts into this place. Everything is an extension of them: the homey feel, well tended gardens, the sense of calm and positive energy flowing through the valley. Neville and Michael welcomed us into their home, fed us food from their garden, meat that they slaughtered, veggies and oils they canned, coffee they roasted. The cost for the entire weekend was less than just a hotel would have cost and that included food, lodging, a couples massage (they are both trained), and most importantly camaraderie! Neville asking for (but not demanding) help in the kitchen was a great part of the experience, the best way to get to know people is being in a communal setting. Chatting while slicing up some salad we're all about to share added so much to it. I could easily go to Burger King and spend $13 (a piece!) and only get a stomach ache and some regret, or I could spend that and form a friendship and maybe even learn a little bit... Woods Hole is the experience, not just the stay. I can't wait for the excuse to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!