“Enjoy the Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pearisburg
Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat
You added Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
3696 Sugar Run Rd, Pearisburg, VA 24134   |
Leesburg, Virginia
“Enjoy the Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came back to Woods Hole having been there before. I had hiked through here last year and was surprised and uplifted by my stay. A more recent trip brought me back for the express purpose of revisiting this wonderful place. Neville and Michael pour their hearts into this place. Everything is an extension of them: the homey feel, well tended gardens, the sense of calm and positive energy flowing through the valley. Neville and Michael welcomed us into their home, fed us food from their garden, meat that they slaughtered, veggies and oils they canned, coffee they roasted. The cost for the entire weekend was less than just a hotel would have cost and that included food, lodging, a couples massage (they are both trained), and most importantly camaraderie! Neville asking for (but not demanding) help in the kitchen was a great part of the experience, the best way to get to know people is being in a communal setting. Chatting while slicing up some salad we're all about to share added so much to it. I could easily go to Burger King and spend $13 (a piece!) and only get a stomach ache and some regret, or I could spend that and form a friendship and maybe even learn a little bit... Woods Hole is the experience, not just the stay. I can't wait for the excuse to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My son and I were hiking over the weekend and I miscalculated the time it would takes us to get from our drop off point to our pick up point. We ran across the Woods Hole Hostel and met the owners. They were really great and accommodating. We got a quick tour of the place and immediately decided we would back to stay in the future. The place is way out there but it is very peaceful and quiet. The owners are working hard and are close to being self sustainable and off the grid. Sounds like a perfect getaway weekend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Towaco, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I hiked the Damascus to Pearisburg section of the Appalachian Trail in July 2011. Of all the places I have stayed over the course of 12 years of section hiking (1700+ miles), Woods Hole rates as one of the best. It's close to the Trail (about 1/2 mile), and the folks running the place are among the most friendly. I came off the Trail on the tail end of a steady rain and had the general appearance of drowned rat when I arrived. Nobody cared. The common room in the bunk house had a fridge filled with drinks and goodies available for very low prices. A substantial dinner and breakfast were provided at minimal additional cost, and everyone -- guests and hosts -- worked together to make the meals happen. I felt more like part of an extended family than a customer. Even if you're planning a major stop in Pearisburg (about 12 miles up the Trail) for laundry and resupply, this place is worth stopping at. A beautiful experience that I someday hope to repeat! (Actual date of travel, July 2011).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Clayton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Woods Hole is more than just a place to stay, it's a uniquely splendid experience. The owners have managed to create an environment that seamlessly mixes traditional Appalachian practices (i.e., homegrown food, brick oven bread, etc..) with modern creature comforts (spa, massages, sauna, yoga, etc). Meals are shared in the cozy 19th Century home with all the guests, including the AT thru-hikers, which makes for truly interesting conversation. If you are looking for a cookie cutter HolidayInn-style place to rest your head, this is not the place, but if you are looking for a trip to a different dimension, one of peace, love and happiness, you're going to have to go a bit out of your way. The unpaved road to get there is a lot easier than time travelling to the 70's or the 1800's, but it is off the beaten path. As Beverly Sills once said, "Any place worth going is hard to get to." (or something like that)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I led a group of 9 backpackers for several days on the Appalachian Trail. We made reservations and stayed at Woods Hole Hostel along the way and LOVED it. Though other groups were there, we were welcomed and invited in personally and made to feel right at home, even helping prepare the meals. This historic, rustic, relaxing place is nestled in a mountain cove and offers many amenities for tired hikers. Snacks were handy and plentiful, Mealtimes were marvelous. The bunk house was perfect. Shuttling to town and trailheads was available if we wanted. Views of the sunrise could be on any magazine cover. We hated to leave Woods Hole and I'd go right back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This place is incredible. You'd miss out on a really lovely experience if you pass it up. Neville and Michael took me in when the weather was taking a turn for the worse. We worked out a work-for-stay, because I wanted to wait out the weather, and it couldn't have been a better experience. I had such an amazing time at this hostel, working in their garden and helping cook, but mainly sharing laughs and stories with other hikers and the owners. It felt like home, and it was really the only hostel along the AT that gave me that feeling along my thru-hike. If you aren't looking for a 5-star hotel, but rather a warm, welcoming home away from home, you must stay here. It is a very unique and lovely place, and I only hope I get the chance to return one day soon! Maybe for my honeymoon :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

As an at thru hiker I stayed in the bunk house and loved my stay. I got there late in the evening after dinner, however I was served amazing leftovers until I could no longer eat. Woke up to breakfast, which was delicious, and got my plantar fascia massaged. Neville is an angel

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pearisburg
Mountain Lake Lodge
Comfort Suites University
Comfort Suites University
#3 of 8 in Blacksburg
4.5 of 5 stars 144 reviews

Been to Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!