“Slice of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pearisburg
Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat
Save Saved
You added Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat to your Saves list
3696 Sugar Run Rd, Pearisburg, VA 24134   |
Towaco, New Jersey, United States
“Slice of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I hiked the Damascus to Pearisburg section of the Appalachian Trail in July 2011. Of all the places I have stayed over the course of 12 years of section hiking (1700+ miles), Woods Hole rates as one of the best. It's close to the Trail (about 1/2 mile), and the folks running the place are among the most friendly. I came off the Trail on the tail end of a steady rain and had the general appearance of drowned rat when I arrived. Nobody cared. The common room in the bunk house had a fridge filled with drinks and goodies available for very low prices. A substantial dinner and breakfast were provided at minimal additional cost, and everyone -- guests and hosts -- worked together to make the meals happen. I felt more like part of an extended family than a customer. Even if you're planning a major stop in Pearisburg (about 12 miles up the Trail) for laundry and resupply, this place is worth stopping at. A beautiful experience that I someday hope to repeat! (Actual date of travel, July 2011).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Clayton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Woods Hole is more than just a place to stay, it's a uniquely splendid experience. The owners have managed to create an environment that seamlessly mixes traditional Appalachian practices (i.e., homegrown food, brick oven bread, etc..) with modern creature comforts (spa, massages, sauna, yoga, etc). Meals are shared in the cozy 19th Century home with all the guests, including the AT thru-hikers, which makes for truly interesting conversation. If you are looking for a cookie cutter HolidayInn-style place to rest your head, this is not the place, but if you are looking for a trip to a different dimension, one of peace, love and happiness, you're going to have to go a bit out of your way. The unpaved road to get there is a lot easier than time travelling to the 70's or the 1800's, but it is off the beaten path. As Beverly Sills once said, "Any place worth going is hard to get to." (or something like that)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I led a group of 9 backpackers for several days on the Appalachian Trail. We made reservations and stayed at Woods Hole Hostel along the way and LOVED it. Though other groups were there, we were welcomed and invited in personally and made to feel right at home, even helping prepare the meals. This historic, rustic, relaxing place is nestled in a mountain cove and offers many amenities for tired hikers. Snacks were handy and plentiful, Mealtimes were marvelous. The bunk house was perfect. Shuttling to town and trailheads was available if we wanted. Views of the sunrise could be on any magazine cover. We hated to leave Woods Hole and I'd go right back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This place is incredible. You'd miss out on a really lovely experience if you pass it up. Neville and Michael took me in when the weather was taking a turn for the worse. We worked out a work-for-stay, because I wanted to wait out the weather, and it couldn't have been a better experience. I had such an amazing time at this hostel, working in their garden and helping cook, but mainly sharing laughs and stories with other hikers and the owners. It felt like home, and it was really the only hostel along the AT that gave me that feeling along my thru-hike. If you aren't looking for a 5-star hotel, but rather a warm, welcoming home away from home, you must stay here. It is a very unique and lovely place, and I only hope I get the chance to return one day soon! Maybe for my honeymoon :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

As an at thru hiker I stayed in the bunk house and loved my stay. I got there late in the evening after dinner, however I was served amazing leftovers until I could no longer eat. Woke up to breakfast, which was delicious, and got my plantar fascia massaged. Neville is an angel

• Stayed May 2012
Hinton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We visited Woods Hole Hostel last year and found it to be a wonderful experience. The massage was very professional and relaxing. The late lunch we enjoyed was pleasantly simple and very tasty.

Michael and Neville provided a great atmosphere of rustic elegance with truly wonderful conversation.

I would (and do!) recommend Woods Hole Hostel to anyone going that way!

~Mark & Erin

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with 6 other hikers on our AT thru hike. We all had a pretty miserable experience; we all also stayed in the bunk house. Nothing was explained, no wifi (even though it's advertised in the guide), drafty & cold sleeping area. I hit my head atleast a dozen times on the poorly designed bunk house. The chickens woke us up early in the mining and the privy was nasty to say the least. Even though we paid to stay there we were presented with a "chore jar" in the morning. It ended up being a shelter with electricity .5 off the trail that we had to pay to stay at.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!