Spent 2 nights April 5 and 6 , 2013. Second visit to the Ashby Inn, both times stayed in Adams Room, in the Old School House section, about 50 yards from the main Inn building. Originally planned to hike in on the section of the Appalachian Trail , which crosses Route 50 about 1 mile west of the Inn.
During the month of April , restaurant and kitchen closed for renovations. Offered instead was a breakfast picnic hamper delivered to the room. However, car needed for travel to restaurants for other meals. We really wanted to stay at the Ashby Inn and changed plans; drove instead and did day hikes , using the Inn as a base.
The Breakfast hampers proved to be one of the real highlights of this visit. Muesli, yoghurt, fruit and pastries, provided a most substantial continental breakfast. This was enjoyed in the very comfortable large arm chairs, while sitting around the fire ( Cold spell this April) and enjoying the great view of the surrounding farms and hills of the Sky Meadows State Park. This really enhanced the cozy, comfortable and relaxing ambience.
I am recommending and hoping that the Inn will continue to provide Breakfast hampers as an option, with perhaps a surcharge, once the restaurant renovations are complete.
In our opinion, the 4 suites in the Old School House section are the gems of the Inn. Large rooms with large windows, great view, extremely comfortable bed, good quality bed linens, large comfortable arm chairs around the working fireplace, refrigerator and coffee maker. Large bathroom with bath and shower. Central airconditioning excellent. Quiet, no road noise; very few cars in the tiny village of Paris VA.
Staff, from Innkeepers to housekeepers, all extremely hospitable, friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make one's stay more comfortable.
Overall impression formed both visits: extremely well run establishment.
- Also Known As:
- The Ashby Inn & Restaurant Hotel Paris
- The Ashby Inn & Restaurant Hotel
- The Ashby Inn And Restaurant
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sitting at a crossroads of both time and location, The Ashby Inn & Restaurant exists as a tenant to history while offering a place for guests to dine and rest amidst the beauty and tranquility of the Virginia countryside. Situated at the cross-section of routes fifty and seventeen in the charming village of Paris, the inn includes ten guest accommodations on three acres of landscaped grounds that provide a view of Paris Mountain, Ashby Gap and Sky Meadows State Park. The restaurant prepares breakfast daily for all inn guests and is open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Saturday and for brunch and dinner on Sunday. The Ashby serves as a pastoral setting for weddings, special events, and retreats. Guests of the inn find no shortage of activities in the area to fill their time, including antiquing, bird watching, cycling, hiking, reading, shopping, and wine tasting. ... more less