“Caboose is the room to choose!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paint Bank
The Depot Lodge
You added The Depot Lodge to your Saves list
Hwy 311, Paint Bank, VA 24131   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Paint Bank B&B and Inns
Fishersville
“Caboose is the room to choose!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed in the caboose one night and it really exceeded our expectations. There is not much in the little town but if you are looking for a night away from literally everything this is the place to go. The lights in the town went out when we were there from about 6:30pm until 11pm so we did not get to enjoy to much in the dark. The caboose sits right next to the creek so sleeping to the water sounds were great. Don't think I will be going back only because there is not much to do but I give the Depot Lodge and the caboose a thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Spent the night in Paint Bank, looking for nothing more than to relax and clear our minds. We couldn't have chosen a more suitable spot than the Caboose at the Depot Lodge. The grounds also include the Lodge itself, which has a large suite and several other rooms, along with a living area/kitchen that is open and available to all guests and offered beverages and tremendous chocolate chip cookies. The work put into restoring not only the Caboose, but the Depot as well, shown through in the photo albums. Lots of work and a great end result.

The Caboose itself was one of those locations that is worth staying in just for the experience. It is decorated very nicely and it was awesome to be able to crank the windows open on the creek side and sleep with the sound of water running 20 feet away, while still in a warm bed.

Finally, we took advantage of the tandem bicycle leaning up against the Lodge and took a nice ride down Route 600 (directly across the street from the Lodge) early one morning, past the buffalo farm and hit the West Virginia line before turning around.

All in all, a great place to stay for a night or two of rejuvenation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Vinton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

If you're looking for a quaint lodging experience to remember, I whole-heartedly recommend an over-night stay in the Caboose at Depot Lodge. This is a real red caboose that has been renovated into a cozy guest room. It is located adjacent to a rippling stream. When we arrived, I wasn't sure what to expect as far as comfort level, so I packed additional blankets, pillows, etc. -- but that was unnecessary. When we walked in, it was warm with an aroma of crisp, fresh linens. There is a gas stone/fireplace in the corner that is controlled by a thermostat. The decor was appealing. I slept like a baby -- comfortable bed, the soothing sound of the creek, and the warm heat. We had both dinner and breakfast at The Swinging Bridge Restaurant across the street. Again, the quaint atmosphere exceeded expectations -- large stone fire place with a real fire, a swinging bridge with gift shop on the second level, good food and service. This is definitely a place I'd like to re-visit!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh,NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

We were told over & over when we were making our reservations at The Depot Lodge in Paint Bank, VA, how QUIET it is up there. This was great news to us...this is what we needed. REST. Well, we made reservations for 4 nights, but left after only 3 nights, with an average of 5 hours of sleep each night. Sound restful? Sound quiet? Well, it isn't. We made reservations for the Master Suite in the Depot Lodge. This "Resort" as they call it, has 5 different types of rooms or places to stay. You can stay in the "Master Suite", which is composed of a living room, master bedroom and large bath. It is part of the Depot Lodge building. Or, you can stay in a "Deluxe Room" which is basically a bunk bed and a chair with a dresser and a TV on the wall in the corner. These "Deluxe" rooms are about 12' x 12' in size. For entertainment, you can go down to the "Common Room" which has a kitchen, a dining room table, several couches and a TV. Not attached to the actual "Depot" is the "Quarter Master's House" which is on the property, but is not attached. It is a real one-story home. Or, you can stay in the "Caboose" which is an actual caboose and is not attached to the lodge either. It stands alone on the property. There is a log cabin somewhere on the property, but we never saw it. The Common Room on the first floor of the depot, unknown to us, is on the OTHER side of the wall behind the master bedroom's headboard. And there is NO soundproofing. A few couples who were staying upstairs in some of the small rooms were down there during our first night until about 1 am playing Jatzee. They were not yelling, or shouting or being unruley at all. They were just talking normally and playing a board game. BUT WE COULD HEAR EVERY WORD. So, for our first night together on our romantic 4 night stay, my husband slept ON THE COUCH in the living room, and I used our only pair of earplugs and remained on the master bed. Real romantic. Real restful. The next day, we tried to find the manager to tell her about what we had been through the night before....but we had to wait around for 45 min. before she could be "found" to ask her to help us with the situation. When she finally showed up, after wasting 45 min. of our vacation, she informed us that SHE hadn't slept in 3 days, so she knew how we felt. She proceeded to tell us how stressed she was, and on & on & on. Then she had the nerve to ask me why I hadn't just gone in there and asked them to please be quiet? OK, now it's my fault that we got no sleep. We know that the folks who stayed up playing games in the common room did nothing wrong, and realize that they had no idea they were keeping us awake, but we were concerned about the amount of sleep we would be getting if they played games in there every night. Then she said, "I'm gonna say something to them...yes, I'm gonna say something". After this enlightening discussion, we had to pack up everything and move out of the Master Suite, because someone already had reservations for Sat. night. We stayed in one of the "Deluxe Rooms" upstairs. OK, this room had a bunkbed and a hard wooden rocker and a small TV on the wall. After about 2 hours of sitting in the hard rocker, and me on the bunkbed, I mean, no wonder the folks on Friday night went down to the Common Room(and stayed there until 1 am!) We could not relax or stretch out, and if two people layed on the bottom bunk, only one could view the TV. To go to the bathroom, my husband had to crawl over me to get out of the bed. Great. And this room cost 129.00 a night! Finally, about midnight, we turned down off the TV & get some sleep. WRONG! The people next door played their TV until 1 am, and even my husband's earplugs did not work for him. And guess what? These people got up at 6:30 am the next day. And turned on thier TV. So, we just got up. We were so tired. Does no one in Paint Bank sleep more than 5 hours a night? I haven't had a day off in almost a year. We just wanted to sleep in for a few days. We decided not to say anything to management about our 2nd night without sleep because we were moving back into the Master Suite for Sunday night, and the manager had told us no one would be sleeping in the Depot but us, so we just decided to just forget it. We were just tired. Sunday night, back in the Master Suite, we went to bed about 12:30 am. As we fell asleep, I awoke as headlights swept our bedroom window. This puzzeled me. Next I hear someone walking up the steps to the upstairs. I heard someone walking above our bedroom. He proceeded to walk around the room above us, dropping things, and walking back and forth for 30 MINUTES. And guess what time he woke up the next day? 6:30 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he walked, and moved and dropped things for another 30 minutes. So, we slept for ANOTHER night for the grand total of 6 hours! Wow! We got 6 hours!!!! And in a suite that cost us 179.00 a night!!!!! I tried to call two of the "Emergency Numbers" provided in the Information Booklet by the phone to complain. No one picked up. I walked over to the General Store to complain, as the manager had assured us no one would be in the top floor of the Depot the night before. I talked to someone over at the store, and she said the manager was off on Monday. I told her about the man who had come in, stomped around and woke us up. She said, "Oh-oh...that must have been the agent...." I told her we were done. We were leaving. And we were never coming back. I mean, can no one understand that people who are not retired are TIRED and want to sleep more than 5 hours a night??????? This place had no sound proofing, and not much, if any, insulation. For 179.00 at night, you'd THINK they would throw some $$ into this concept. Well, they didn't. BEWARE...unless you are : A. staying in the Quarter Masters House (which stands alone) or B. staying in the Caboose, or C. Are sure no one is staying in the Depot Lodge but you, do not count on getting ANY sleep here. What a rip-off of a vacation. And what POOR customer service. We've never had worse. Oh, and when we checked in on Friday night, the cashier tried to charge our credit card for all 4 nights, before we had even stayed 1 night. We said, "We're checking in" and she said, "That'll be 647.99" Can you believe this? What smucks we were to even stay here more than one lousy night. My husband kindly told her we would pay in total when we were done with our stay. BEWARE!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Depot Lodge? Share your experiences!