“Diving the Canterbury wreck” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Activities in Kerikeri
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive North offer fantastic dive trips in the Bay of Islands with free pick ups in Paihia and Kerikeri so you can explore NZ's subtropical paradise! Catering specifically for the diver, we also offer onsite B & B, great lunches including legendary home made Lemon Cake and two great dive boats with full cover from the elements, for you to relax in while cruising the Bay of Islands. Come and join our most popular dive trips; exploring ship wrecks Rainbow Warrior and HMNZS Canterbury and the beautiful reefs too! Based in the heart of the Bay of Islands, we are the only operator who does the Divers Big Day Out - dive both wrecks (Rainbow Warrior & HMNZS Canterbury) in one day! Only 1 day to dive? Advanced diver or more? Then our unique Divers Big Day Out! trip is the answer. Learn to dive in the best hands with PADI and SSI courses, all dives in the sea from the boat - no chlorine pools and floating plasters here! Open Water courses just take 3 days and Advanced Open Water just 2 days and you get to dive both the wrecks as part of your course! Personal service, great customer care and highly professional - Dive North; NZ Wide Diving Winners 2012 & 2013 and Certificate of Excellence 2014 winners - book now and experience the Dive North difference!
Zurich, Switzerland
“Diving the Canterbury wreck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I spent a awesome day with Dive North in the Bay of Island. I booked the Canterbury trip. In the morning we did a first dive at the reef, where we also went in a kind of cave. For me was this the first time I had like a roof over me. It was a good training for what followed in the afternoon. We dived down to the Canterbury. The Canterbury is a battleship, which was sunked and prepared on purpose for us divers;-). It was an absolutley amazing experience diving along that huge ship wreck and we even went inside the bridge and the helicopter hanger.
Dave, Sue and the other Instructors from Dive North did their job very professionel, I always felt really safe. Because they take only small groups the atmosphere was really relaxing and almost like a familiy.
The booking was very easy, Dive North was very flexible and they helped us even with accomodation. They also offered me the possibility to do the two dives as two adventure dives (navigation and wreck), so I could complete my PADI Advanced Open Water.
I can definetely recommend to everybody to see the Canterbury with Dive North!

DiveN, Owner at Dive North, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you for your review Michael, we are so pleased to hear you had a great time diving with us and we are stoked you completed your Advanced Course as well - well done! You are welcome back anytime and next time we'll take you to the Rainbow Warrior!

Kerikeri, New Zealand
“Awesome, a whole new world within a world.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I did my Padi diving course with Dive North. Our initial dive was in the area of the Canterbury wreck in the BOI. The second days diving was around the wreck of the Raindow Warrior. Both dives were a truly amazing experience. The team from Dive North were fantastic. Their professionalism and attention to safety were second to none but presented in a relaxed and friendly manner. I would highly recommed their services to new and experienced divers alike.

DiveN, Owner at Dive North, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
It's a great new sport you've learnt and we are sure you will enjoy diving here in the Bay of Islands over and over again! It was our pleasure to take you through your Open Water Course. See you on the boat soon?
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
“Great open water training experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I've never dived before, and despite my reservations my girlfriend who is a keen diver persuaded me to do an open water course. I'm really pleased that I did because it was a fantastic experience. Dive North were able to do the course in 3 days which was one learning skills in the pool and two days diving twice on reefs near the canterbury. There was a great atmosphere because Dave and Sue let us camp on their land where we were joined by other back packing divers.
I was a bit aprehensive about going underwater but the dive instructor exuded a sense of calm and I quickly forgot my reservations. I might not have been the perfect student but I still managed to see rays, clown neudibrach and heeps of colourful fish. Fantastic stuff... I only wish I could have dived the canterbury wreck like the more experienced divers. Now I'll have to go back there to do my advanced course!!!

DiveN, Owner at Dive North, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. Some people are hesitant about learning to dive but as you now know - it's awesome!!! We look forward to seeing you again for some more dives Francis!
Kerikeri, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

From first contact with Dive North they couldn't have been more helpful. Nothing was was a bother and they happily accommodated our totally different dive experience perfectly. My husband hadn't been diving for quite a while so they spent time with him, first discussing things, then underwater doing a skills refresher before continuing with the dive. It really boosted his confidence that they took so much care with him. What I loved was the attention to detail. I'm used to diving with friends, so to go on a dive trip where my kit was put together for me, and changed over for the second dive was absolute bliss!
They are also incredibly knowledgeable of the Bay of Islands and surrounding areas. It's also nice that they are a family run business and the groups are fairly small so you get a lovely personal service. We absolutely loved our day with them and hope to do more in the future.

DiveN, Owner at Dive North, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
You were both a pleasure to take diving - we specialise in individual attention and ensuring each diver is comfortable and relaxed during their dives and their day so we are delighted to hear that you both loved your day out with us and I guess you must have cos you've been back for more!!! You are welcome onboard The Lady Rose anytime!
Sydney, Australia
“Great day diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Dive North looked after us all very well and made sure that everyone felt comfortable with our dives as some of us had not dived for a while.
We dived the Rainbow warrior wreck and I enjoyed the information booklet about the history about the wreck that they had put together. It was also great to hear Dave tell stories about the Rainbow Warrior afterwards.
The boat was not as large and flash as other dive boats I have been on. Personally I liked that because then we were not that many people going out and it made the day more personal and less people diving the wreck at the same time.

DiveN, Owner at Dive North, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
It was our pleasure to take you diving Helena and the 'personal touch' is our focus, so we're really pleased to hear you enjoyed your day.

The Rainbow Warrior is a fascinating wreck to dive, full of history and Dave has probably dived her more than anyone in the Bay- so he is always happy to share his experiences and the history and anecdotes from the crew he's taken to dive her - sharing is caring!

Thank you again for diving with us Helena - we hope it inspires you to do more PADI training - and you can always come back to us and dive the awesome HMNZS Canterbury wreck!