“Top location but a little tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Petit Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Martinborough
Petit Hotel
You added Petit Hotel to your Saves list
3 Kitchener Street, Martinborough 5711, New Zealand   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Martinborough
Wellington, New Zealand
“Top location but a little tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed in the Manhattan suite – it’s at the rear of the hotel so away from street noise and it receives great sun on its balcony.

The location is tops – right in the square. The décor is very nice.

We probably wouldn’t stay here again. The hotel is unattended and, possibly as a reflection of that, felt a little tired:

- the room seemed like it was cleaned well in advance of our stay – insects and dust on window ledges, mould at bottom of windows, dirty entry / foyer on arrival;
- the shower curtains had pink mould on the bottom of them;
- the shower curtains were not effective – we couldn’t contain the water to within the curtains;
- the bath looked old – it was chipped with water stains;
- there were old stains on the bed covers.

Car parking is available at the back of the hotel. But, on our arrival at about 130pm, the car park was full. After about 10 minutes a park came free - our impression was that, during the day, the car park is not full with guests’ cars but is instead used by Martinborough locals as convenient parking for the shops.

Room Tip: Manhattan suite is away from street noise and is on the sunny side of the building
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark G, Manager at Petit Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hi
Thank you for your comments .It is always good to get feedback from our guest to enable us to improve our services.
We have just employed a new cleaner to improve the cleanlyness of the hotel.
I have spoken to the resturant next door re the Petit Hotel car park.
We do hope to see you again to show you the improvements.
Regards
Mark

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Petit Hotel over the Queen's Birthday weekend in 2013. The hotel is ideally located -- right in the centre of town and within walking distance of several wineries. It was very nicely appointed, and it was convenient to just have a passcode rather than a key. The drawbacks of not having any staff on site was apparent right away, though. It was a chilly day and the extra blanket mentioned in the hotel literature wasn't to be found. We texted Mark, and then realised that there was also no bulb in one of the reading lamps. Not just burnt out, but no bulb at all. Mark wasn't able to get back to us until the following day. Our last day there, we seemed to have tripped a fuse, but couldn't find a fusebox or any information about what to do about this anywhere. Since we were about to check out anyways, we decided not to alert management.

My biggest problem with the hotel, though, was that our room -- Devon -- overlooked the courtyard of a cafe which has outdoor speakers playing music from the time they open -- 9AM - to the time they close -- "late", though usually not later than 11PM. It made it difficult for me to relax in the room, though it didn't bother my husband. I don't think that the other rooms would have this problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Petit Hotel is perfect. With it being centrally located makes it very easy to explore the local attractions. The rooms are spacious and stunning, with a sun soaked deck an a bath to soak in made for a perfect stay. Mark the manager was very accommodating and would highly recommend the hotel, we'll be back for sure!! Thanks Mark for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very cool...easy online booking...easy access, parking, and self check in. Comfortable and central...v. central,,,,will definitely stay again. Manager, Mark, couldn't be more helpful. Easy access to restaurant (Pinochios) at front door, and right on Martinborough's main street. Not your typical hotel...we were all very impressed.

Room Tip: All rooms are of same quality....difference was size and southern facing rooms had decks
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

From the moment of booking this hotel, I had a great experience. Mark, the hotel manager, answered all my questions and I really liked the fact the hotel is unmanned. You just arrive whenver you like and enter a special code to get into the main building and again into your own room. We stayed in the Tuscany room which looks over the main street of Martinborough and looks to the square. The room was absolutely beautiful and the bathroom was stunning, I felt like we were back in Paris but with a lot more room! I had an awful amount of luggage with me as I was doing a local cycle tour but you wouldn't have ntoiced in the room, plenty of space. We ate out every meal time and it was so much to step outside and have a wonderful range of places to choose from just a step away. We ate at the wonderful Medici which I would recommend.

Check out is midday on a Sunday and I love that this place recognises that some mornings you don't want to rush. Mark was extremely accommodating and I really appreciated that he allowed us to stay even longer over the generous check out time so I could shower after my cycle race. I also left my Ipod charger behind and this was promptly couriered to me.

I loved staying at the Petit Hotel and would go back in an instant. If you like using the self check out counters at New World, albeit with a bottle of Moet in your hand, then this is the place for you.

Thanks Mark for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel for our honeymoon night. The room was beautifully furnished, fresh flowers were sitting on a table, a bottle of mineral water in the fridge and good coffee provided. The bathroom was huge and the shower had the most fantastic pressure. I only wish we had time to enjoy the bath also. The bed was very comfortable and the feather pillows soft and cosy. We will definately be back to celebrate an anniversary at some stage.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Petit Hotel is not a hotel with services rather 4 serviced rooms occupying the upstairs area of an old historic building in the main street of Martinborough. We stayed in the Provencal Room which was located at the front of the building. The room was lovely; well appointed with a comfy bed, luxury linen and a spacious bathroom with the added attraction of a clawed bath. However I do have a couple of negative comments to make regarding this accommodation; firstly the cleaning of the bathroom needs to be of a higher standard with regard to the bath and the shower screen both were in need of a thorough clean to remove built up soap scum! secondly unless you are a very heavy sleeper I would recommend one of the back rooms away from the street below because it can get quite noisy at times. Other than that it's a great location.

Room Tip: Back rooms would be quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Petit Hotel? Share your experiences!