“Just Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunmoon Resort

You added Sunmoon Resort to your Saves list
Sunmoon Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 West Coast Highway | The Sunmoon Boutique Resort, Scarborough, Stirling, Western Australia 6019, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
“Just Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am writing this as I am in my second week staying here toward the end of winter. I rate the place highly, it has a wide choice of rooms and is reasonably priced. The thing that surprised me is that in spite of the somewhat unpleasant and aggressive internet booking experience that has more clauses and fine print than a fitness first contract, the staff and place are actually really really friendly. People offer freely top help carry your bags, and even smile and are pleasant. Bang for buck this is great and will become my regular when I travel to Perth.

Room Tip: Rooms vary, there are like four properties. It's up to you, so far I have stayed in two and have...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your review of the Hotel. I have read through your report with interest as a long stay guest and really appreciate your feedback.

Your point is well made in regards to our reservation system. We have in the past explored many different options for the administration of reservations and have settled with the current option for the here and now. Whilst it can be perceived as quite strict, it is in place for various reasons and based on historical patterns. We are always reviewing our own policies so will keep in mind your feedback. Generally speaking for longer stays we tend to be somewhat more flexible, please feel free to call me at any stage as I am more than happy to agree a more flexible policy with you especially as you mentioned you could become a regular guest here at the Hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you have found the staff here to be really helpful and polite and were happy with the service on offer, thank you for this feedback.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again soon, and as mentioned above do please give me a call and I will be delighted to assist with your repeat bookings.

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Yours sincerely

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a Saturday night in August and paid extra for an upgrade to a spa suite, very very disappointing. The room was spacious but seemed old with some " maybe trendy old style " furnishings. The bathroom was clean but the spa outlets seemed old and discoloured. The room smelt must and damp. The need was a good size and did have nice breeding which was a plus. The place seems very dated once you have gone past the entrance, restaurant and pool area. Unfortunately it still seems like a 1980`s motel. On the plus side, we also had dinner in the restaurant which was very enjoyable, not the cheapest meal we have had but well worth the money. Very friendly staff and quite classy. It was in total contrast to the room. Would eat in the restaurant again but sorry don't think we would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Sue

Thank you very much for your review, we really do appreciate your feedback. The team and I have read with interest your comments.

I understand you may have stayed in one of our spa balcony bedrooms and sorry to hear that the soft furnishings were not to your liking and that you felt the bathrooms were old. On a more positive note thank you for your kind comments about both the size of the bedroom and also in regards to the comfortable beds and bed linen.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the restaurant and found both the quality of food and the service to your satisfaction. This feedback is well received by the restaurant team, thanks once again.

I do hope that we will see you again soon, and would be most happy to assist you with ensuring you are happy with the overall stay on your next visit. Please do feel free to call me at any stage if I can assist.

We wish you a very pleasant week ahead.

Yours sincerely

Porongurup, WA, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed in a motel style spa room at the front of the complex on the second storey. It really was just that, a motel style room. It was very sparsely deocorated, , and very basic, as you would expect, with an attempt at a modern style decor, that was OK, but done very cheaply. It was fairly clean, but not spotless by any means, and our spa was dirty.

But, the road noise (you are right on the main highway) was shocking, even with the doors closed. Our biggest gripe was that the TV volume had been preset to a certain level (not much!). This is obviously so you don't have the TV up too loud for your neighbours (which says alot about the thinness of the walls!), but the worst thing was- you COULDN'T HEAR IT over the road noise from outside. Day or night. Most annoying. The view was of the highway, the big obelisk of Observation City (sorry, Rendevouz!! ), and a petrol station.

Sleep quailty was therefore pretty average. We also found it hard to find the entrance to the "resort"....if you missed it you have a complicated process of trying to turnaround, intersections and traffic lights and traffic islands to conquer before you can head back to the tiny, hardly sign posted entrance. Your car is a long way from your room, so luggage carting (done by yourself of course) is your only option. The service was average.

The only redeeming thing was room service breakfast, which was delicious. Your room wasn't the best place to eat it as the furnishings are not ideal for 2 people to eat at, but we got around it! We were very pleased with the breakfast, and would at least recommend that!

The grounds were fairly nice.

Was it terrible- no. Was it disappointing- absolutely. Would we stay there again? No.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback which is welcomed, I can see that you stayed with us in October 2012 so almost 1 year ago now and would be happy to welcome you back should you be due a trip this October as well, please do let me know.

I am sorry to hear that you would be inclined not to return. A lot happens in a year as you know and we have been busy since October 2012 making improvements right across our business. These improvements have included defining our sequence of service in each department so we hope that items such as assistance with luggage carry less impact now, we also introduced a rooming service which is designed to assist especially first time guests to get to their room.

We do appreciate your feedback on the bedroom refurbishment programme which was concluded in mid-2012 and sorry to hear that the end result is not to your liking. At this time we have no plans to change the furnishings selected but again respect your opinion on the choice. The rooms have been very well received by others. Your point about proximity to West Coast Highway is well made and thank you, whilst we cannot move the highway which is busy really in peak times, we have installed double glazing in the guise of the original patio door and since installed a second patio door to mitigate any impact of peak hour traffic.

In October 2012, the resort only offered Continental Breakfast whilst served in the restaurant located at level 1. In March 2013 we changed the breakfast menu available in the main restaurant and increased the buffet items contents and increased the a la carte menu items as well. In April 2013 we introduced all day dining via room service, In June 2013 we introduced 24 hour room service and in early July 2013 we introduced the room service breakfast order service. I am grateful you found breakfast of a high quality but not entirely sure if you mean breakfast as taken in the main restaurant.

Thank you for your nice feedback about the grounds which are most welcomed. Once again we do hope that you will return, feel free to call me at any time and I will be happy to look after your requirements.

Have a great weekend coming up and thank you once again for your feedback.

mt barker, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Work put me here for a few days and found the room excellent and spotless. Great bed, towels soap, and bathrobes.
Service super friendly and always helpful.
Even though it was on the main road it was quiet but access to the hotel was tricky. The only way is heading south on the highway, so if you miss the entrance you have to do it again.
The views are over the main road, past the 24hour service station, around the high rise hotel and finally to the ocean. Not really unintterupted.
Parking is secure but it has a fee.

Although the restaurant looks good and the staff friendly, the food is seriously pricey. Its good but but will set you back some serious coin. It seems the way of Perth and good value is impossible to find, especially here.

The area itself is let down, as it seems to have deteriorated in the last 10 years, to the point where I witnessed 2 homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk nearby. Not a fault of the hotel but the area has a general run down look and the beach itself is just that. Wide open.
For a nice beach area head a few kilometres south to City beach and Cottesloe. It has a much nicer feel and look, mainly due to it not being next to the main road, plenty of grassed areas and trees. Plenty of pricey eateries but with views over the water.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Fred

It is lovely to have read your review above and some quite interesting comments which you have made, your comments and feedback are very much appreciated. I am delighted to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are especially thankful for your nice feedback in regards to the sleep quality, rooms, cleanliness and overall service so thank you again.

It is well documented that eateries in Perth have been earned themselves a reputation as overpriced, in-part a symptom of a city which has experienced a resource boom for the past few years, restaurateurs are particularly passionate about this topic as in theory pricing reflects the cost of doing business. Our pricing in some ways reflects the cost of doing business, but it is also worth highlighting that we do use premium locally sourced WA ingredients which we are passionate about.

For the benefit of other readers, we have set up various food & beverage promotions and some at amazing prices. These can be pre purchased at the time of booking either on our website or when booking direct with the hotel, if booking via a 3rd party agent we can also add those promotions to bookings when booked pre arrival. Our newsletter also available on our website changes monthly and monthly promotions are also featured on that newsletter, again some great offers for guests who wish to dine in our main restaurant and at prices which are too attractive not to book!

It is fair to say that Scarborough village is currently going through what could be best described as a renaissance. The majority of local business’ have spent or are spending millions of dollars upgrading and the local city administration has identified the town centre as an area for a substantial injection of funding, aside from the well-known Brighton & Scarborough beach’ which are within walking distance, the hotel is also located within 10 minutes-drive to Trigg, Floreat and City beach’ so sunset coast it really is. Your point is also very well made in regards to Cottesloe beach, approximately 15 minutes-drive from the Sunmoon, a great location for a day or evening out with some nice eateries located there as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunmoon and I will of course be delighted to act as your point of contact, please feel free to call me at any time and I will be delighted to assist with your requirements.

Have a great weekend coming up and thank you once again for your feedback which is truly appreciated.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

People always seem to say Perth Hotels are overpriced and customer service is a lot to be desired.
Well my opinion of all of that changed when I decided to stay at the Sunmoon Resort.
On arrival the lady at reception was most attentative and helpful to my every request.
She took my luggae to my room, and once insiide, I discovered this gorgeous lovely massive room, with lovely spa bath and balcony ! Massive king size bed at a very great rate !
I am originally from Sydney, stayed in hotels in London, Milan, Barcelona etc, and also Perth. This room is massive size, great location and awesome service.
Had the steak delivered to me my a very knowledgeable French waiter, needed mustard, got it in seconds, etc.
BEST HOTEL IN PERTH !!!!!!!!!
Cannot wait to go back and try the restaurant, esp over summer period !

Room Tip: Choose the spa room with balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Emma

It is lovely to have read your review above, your comments and feedback are very much appreciated. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are especially thankful for your nice feedback in regards to the quality of food available in room service and also the helpful nature of the reception team, this is really appreciated so thanks again.

Should you be staying at the Sunmoon Boutique Hotel again, please do call me as I will be delighted to look after your reservation requirements and it would be good to meet you in person on any future stay.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Room was perfect setting was ambient 2 min stroll to beach and restaurants staff friendliest ever ! Can't wait to go back. Absolute value for money rooms are more private and secluded that a normal hotel . Pool area is stunning and relaxing as we'll as ambient garden surroundings

Room Tip: Spa room is front of building level 1 perfect
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandi

It is lovely to have read your review above, your comments and feedback are very much appreciated. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

Your point about internal facing rooms is really well made, once inside the resort, it does have quite a private feel to it which compliments a relaxing mid- week or week end break and offers quality down time from work!. Of course our location is very well known for its proximity to Scarborough & Brighton beach’ as they are within walking distance, what most readers may not be aware of is that we are within 10 minutes-drive to Trigg, City and Floreat beach’, so our location really is at the centre of Perth’s gorgeous sunset coast. Scarborough itself is really coming of age with practically all local business’ experiencing a renaissance which makes the Scarborough area a great base for stays in the Perth area.

We do have a number of spa bedrooms located on level 1 which face onto the highway, they are called queen spa bedrooms and generous in size. For a special treat we recommend an upgrade to a deluxe studio some with spa tubs as these rooms also have soft seating areas, a small dining table as well as a small kitchenette.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again and of course I would be delighted to act as your point of contact for any advance reservations so please feel free to pop me an email or telephone me at any stage.

Have a great weekend coming up and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel was beautiful and my stay was very relaxing here. The pool facilities were great and the spa tub in the room was relaxing and was put to good use. The bed was very comfortable and I had a quiet sleep as there was very little noise. The room in general was very clean and spacious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I fully recommend this hotel for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: choose the room with the spa tub and balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Hotel following your stay, your comments and feedback are very much appreciated. I am really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are especially pleased to hear that you found our room cleanliness, sleep quality and service to be of a high quality, these are areas where we have been placing a lot of focus on over the past few months.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again although I can see you are possibly living in Scotland so it maybe a while, I would be delighted to act as your point of contact for any advance reservations so please feel free to pop me an email or telephone me at any stage.

Have a great weekend coming up and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Michael Cheung

Been to Sunmoon Resort? Share your experiences!