“Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunmoon Resort

You added Sunmoon Resort to your Saves list
Sunmoon Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 West Coast Highway | The Sunmoon Boutique Resort, Scarborough, Stirling, Western Australia 6019, Australia   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Brisbane, Australia
“Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived at 1.40pm (after travelling all day) to be told (quite rudely) by reception that check in was 2pm. At 2.10pm we were told that our room was ready and we could occupy the room. The receptionist was unfriendly and officious.

We were told that the room had a 'glimpse' of the ocean, but on arrival there was no sight of it. On querying this, we were told by reception that their information told them that the room did have a 'glimpe' of the ocean. But we assured them that there was no view, glimpse or otherwise. They advised that all rooms with views were booked out.

Room was quite large with pay TV and spa bath. Close to shops and a block from the beautiful Scarborough beach.

Bed lamps were black and too dark to read with.

When asked about parking, we were told that we had to pay. There is plenty of free on road parking available and a free carpark which the hotel uses about 100m away.

Whilst sitting on the balcony there was stuff falling from the balcony above (through the spaces between floorboards).

We definitely wouldn't revisit this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Cyndy Sue

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review the Hotel following your recent stay here with us. We do appreciate the constructive nature of your feedback.

It is very disheartening to read that you appear to have started your stay with us on a negative tone. Please do accept my apologies for the manner in which our team members interacted with you upon arrival to the Hotel. We are looking carefully at this and will of course be following up as required and where applicable with the individual concerned. Overall our reception team do receive some wonderful feedback, I am sorry that you did not experience the warm hospitality for which they are known.

Although the Sunmoon Boutique Resort is less than 5-10 minutes to the beach we are one road removed from the beach and so there are only partial beach views from some rooms, full views from a small number of rooms and some rooms have no beach view at all. We can always take a request for a sea view although sadly we cannot guarantee a sea view. That said quite a few rooms here do have court views over an internal garden or pool area and this view also offers another aspect to the building. I only hope that should you return we will be able to afford you a full sea view!

We do enjoy an excellent location only minutes’ walk from the beautiful beach area, picnic parks and the much coveted west coast highway bicycle routes. Just a few steps away are a myriad of restaurants and bars that guests can enjoy during their stay. Our bedrooms tend to be oversized and recently benefitted from a refurbishment, any movies available are free of charge as oppose to pay movies.

Your point is well made in respect to the bed side lighting, this is a matter which we are reviewing and a decision is pending in regards to a suitable way forward.

We do have secure car parking available at the Hotel, this car parking is made available to hotel guests on a 24 hour rate of $15 per car and is subject to availability at the time of arrival to the Hotel. In the unlikely event our own secure car park is already full, there are as reception suggested many options within minutes’ walk from the Hotel. I hope this throws some light on our car park.

We will monitor feedback with regards to your feedback about balconies, whilst unusual and indeed rare to receive such feedback, we will be looking at our balconies to reassure you and where we feel corrective action is required we will follow up.

Cyndy, we really do appreciate your feedback and do hope to have the pleasure of your company again. You have the teams and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience on any future stay.

Michael Cheung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed overnight at Sunmoon so as to be close to a conference I was attending the next day. I found that booking by their website afforded me a reasonable rate of approx. $150 for a spa room. Check-in took a little longer than I would expect due to some IT difficulties. I was also surprised to be charged $15 for security parking, when the website implied that this was included as part of the hotel amenities. Entry to the carpark is via a small remote, which is slightly irritating to have to carry around with you.

The Spa room was of a good size and nicely presented. My room had a full-size fridge, sink, benchtop and cooktop. This would be very convenient for longer stays. The 'designer' furniture in the rooms made a pleasing first impression, but the leather couch was clearly designed for looking at, not sitting on. I was disappointed, then, that the television was not really visible from the bed, and was not mounted on a movable frame.

The king-size bed was firm and comfortable and I had a really good night's sleep.

The spa in the bathroom was relatively small and shallow - it would not be very comfortable for two people. I was alone, so it was a nice way to spend some time relaxing. I was disappointed not to receive any bubble bath or moisturiser - I would have used both these things if they were there.

I didn't go for a swim, but the pool looked pleasant enough, if a little small. I would have been a bit self-conscious swimming in full view of people dining at the restaurant, but the beach is also very close so I suppose it makes sense not to invest too much in the pool.

For a cheap feed, the burger and fish and chip joints at the nearby Luna shopping complex are both nice. The room service menu was overpriced, including a $6 delivery charge which I thought a bit steep considering I was about ten steps from the restaurant.

I would stay at SunMoon again if necessary, though it is only really satisfactory in my book.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Chris

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hotel following your stay here. You have raised some interesting points and we will be looking at these in detail, some are already followed up or are in the midst of follow up.

It is fair to say that for the best rates, it is always recommended to visit the brand website of any hotel first, quite often nowadays, that is where the best rates will be available. Room rates in Perth do fluctuate so I am really pleased that you found a competitive room rate for your stay. Our apologies should there have been a delay with check in, we train our team to allow for 5 minutes for registration and where rooming is required a further 5-10 minutes. We have looked at our website in regards to your comments and where required we will make changes.

I am sorry that you feel our room service menu is overpriced, items from this menu sell very well with little negative feedback regarding the pricing of those items, we recently appointed a new chef and food & beverage manager. Soon we are launching an entirely new room service breakfast experience and an all-day dining menu in room service and we are excited to have the opportunity to offer even more choice to our guests. These two menus are part of our product offering moving forward, with this course will come a price review, whilst we have no plans to withdraw the room service tray charge, we will review this as with the pricing on the pending menus in room service.

Thank you for your feedback about our bathroom amenities and the size of our spa bath which is welcomed.

I am delighted to hear that you would return to the Hotel, It would be great to meet you in person on your next stay here with us so please do ask for me in person should you return.

Once again Chris, thank you for taking time to review the hotel. We do look forward to welcoming you to the Sunmoon very soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I really like this place. 2nd time here and I'll come back for sure. I got the queen spa room and quite enjoyed it. Much prefer the apartment I got the 1st time. All the queen spa room needs is a bigger fridge and you'll be sorted! Considering the location being on a main road it actually seems really quite and I couldnt hear any of the Scarborough hoons or drunks. The staff were really nice on check in and check out. The room was nice and clean and the spa bath was spotless. Really looking forward to spending more than one night here and relaxing for the weekend by the pool soaking up the sun and watching the moon. Was a little confused if we were allowed to smoke out on the balcony or not? kept seing no smoking signs but on the balcony we had ash trays so not too sure.

Room Tip: Queen spa if you're looking for just one night but if you want for the weekend definitely go one...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathan

We do appreciate you taking the time to review the Hotel following your recent stay, the team are really delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your time here.

We do have a great collection of bedrooms available at the Hotel, the Apartments you mentioned are a great size and ideal for long stay relocations and also for family breaks as they offer that extra space and also a small kitchenette area. We will look at your comments about the fridge size, at this time we have no plans to replace the fridge’s. However do drop me a note on your next stay and we can look at specific arrangements to suit your requirements.

It is true to say that Scarborough has come a long way since the days of hoons! There is significant investment and growth in the small village area and the majority of business’ located here are upgrading or are newly moved in. This combined with the myriad of new apartments and luxury homes in development is setting the tone to elevate Scarborough to the next level. The beach will always remain as a key attraction and continues to lure many day visitors to the area.

Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to both our reception team and room cleanliness, we will review soon the smoking policy for balcony rooms, at present we do display no smoking signs within the bedroom area of all guest bedrooms, however, where a bedroom has a balcony, smoking is currently permitted on the balcony section of the bedroom only. I hope this clarifies your query.

We look forward to welcoming you back, please do let me know when that might be and I will be delighted to look after your requirements, my contact details are 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights to celebtrate our wedding anniversary & Australia Day.
I was able to arrange early access to our room to have flowers on display for my wife & we were presented with champagne & a fruit basket.
The first night we had a dinner in the dining room & the service & food was excellent.
Each morning we had breakfast in the dining room & again excellent.
The experience from booking our stay to booking out was more than we could have asked for I would thoroughly recommend the Sunmoon if you want to have an enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Rob

Thank you for recently choosing to stay at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay here with us and your feedback is much appreciated and well received.

It is especially pleasing to hear that both your wife and yourself thoroughly enjoyed your anniversary weekend.

We look forward to staying in touch with you and welcoming you again soon to the Hotel. Happy anniversary once again.

Best Wishes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I recently had my parents arrive from overseas for a visit during the Christmas/New Years period.
They left the choice of hotel up to their travel agent and after viewing a couple of choices on-line they decided to go with the Sunmoon Resort.
On arrival we noticed that the Sunmoon resort has at least three different forms of accommodation. The first being the quite nice looking hotel that you see in the photos on the website, the second some small brick bungalow type dwellings and the third a run down block of 1960's flats across the road. I actually said when we arrived that I hoped they were not booked into the latter. I was wrong.
Upon entering the flat after check in I was shocked to say the least. After a quick walk through the rooms I convinced my parents to go down to reception and make a complaint, get an upgrade, refund or something, anything, but it all fell on deaf ears. The receptionist did not care a toss. I was even considering just leaving the place and finding and paying for alternative accommodation elsewhere it was so bad. My parents are seasoned travellers and rated this place up there with some of the worst accommodation they had ever stayed in.
Here are some of the highlights.
Cracked/chipped bathroom sink - not only dangerous but unhygienic also.
Smashed/cracked safety glass in shower - one wall was the glass panel type that has wire running through it and it was smashed as it someone had kicked it in. My mother complained about this as it is a safety hazard and was basically ignored.
All the fittings were from the 1960's or 70's, like the sink and bench, the mis-matched cupboards and the kitchen table, fridge. I think the TV may have come from the 80's.
The main front window that faced the balcony was filthy inside and out. There were hand prints and face prints all over it. I inspected this window for 8 days and it was not touched or let alone cleaned by the cleaners once.
You could see spray marks of some sort of fluid, be it beer,wine or urine perhaps up and along the walls in the main room and in the right light/angle.
Filthy couch and sofa with years of grime under the cushions. These may have come from the 90's.

There seemed to be quite a few people from the UK staying there, I could only imagine what they have told their friends/family about this hovel.
Added to all this it was not cheap at all.
It was really disappointing to see that such accommodation still exists and a real bad example for Perth in general.

Unreal.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Matt H

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback of your parents recent stay here in the Perth area. I am sorry to learn that your parents and yourself were unhappy with the accommodation provided.

I feel it is important for the benefit of other users of this website to clarify that the resort in which your parents have stayed is actually called the Scarborough Observation Resort as oppose to the Sunmoon Boutique Resort. Both Resorts have different identities and different websites. The Sunmoon Boutique Resort is classified as a 4 star property whilst the Scarborough Observation Resort is classified as a 3 star property. I am surprised to hear that your travel agent would book the later and make suggestions that the former was the class of accommodation booked. Both Resorts are managed by the same holding company and I would be happy to speak with the Travel Agent involved to understand more about the reservation stage should you feel that would be appropriate.

With the above said, it is disheartening to hear of your feedback about the condition of the accommodation at the Scarborough Observation Resort. We have clearly got this wrong and rest assured your review is much welcomed so we can get to the root cause of your findings. I was very concerned to read your report on how your feedback was dealt with at the time by our reception team, this is also an area which we are looking at and thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

I understand from your profile that you are resident in the Perth area, please do let me know if you would like to discuss any aspect of your feedback in more detail. My telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409 and I would certainly welcome your call.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had booked this accommodation for myself and my bridesmaids the night before my wedding to the value of approx $800 (over priced as it is). Due to some very unfortunate family circumstances my wedding was brought forward and planned in 2 weeks. When I contacted the manager to discuss the situation and the possibility of some form of refund - considering the 5 months notice and nature of my circumstances I was expecting to pay a cancellation fee or something. I was abruptly told I should have had travel insurance and they could only refund the breakfast costs. It wasnt the $40 breakfast cost I was particularly worried about rather the $800 of useless accommodation. I didn't think I would need travel insurance for one nights stay 15 mins from home. After arguing the point with the manager she said she would call me back within the day and see what she can do. She rang me back 2 days later to say she has decided she will refund the cheapest room - so they can do refunds but choose when? When I called recently to ensure they hadn't cancelled the other room as I had paid for it and will see if any friends wanted to use it I was told that they are very strict about changing the dates and the rates will probably change. All in all they completely lacked any compassion and understanding and were extremely rude. I will never waste my money here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Conrad B, General Manager at Sunmoon Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Casey

Thank you very much for your feedback which has been brought to my attention earlier this morning. Firstly may we congratulate you on your recent wedding and we hope that all went well in the end for you on the actual day.

It is a shame that we did not have the opportunity to speak with each other before your enquiry appears to have escalated to the point of dissatisfaction. My understanding is that you have been speaking with potentially a number of persons here at the Hotel and eventually our Front Office Manager. I have had the opportunity to discuss the matter internally and understand that the conclusion of the various conversations was that we did agree to refund one of the two bedroom reservations. Whilst we do have a policy in place as do most companies in respect to the refund of cancellation fees, we do where possible apply a flexible approach in specific circumstances, I am sorry that you felt our decision did not meet with your satisfaction on this occasion.

It would be good to discuss this matter in more detail with you and I would appreciate you call me directly at the Hotel, my telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Once again Casey, thank you for your feedback, I do hope to speak with you soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

$180 for a room that could not possibly be smaller and we can hear every word that is said next door. powerpoint is falling off the wall. why is parking not included? Nearby parking options are not secure and management know this thereby almost forcing customers to use their parking. I have stayed in many overpriced hotels in Perth but this one is by far the most over rated. It is now 2.30 am and I can hear every word from the party next door, I hope they use some of the $180 and buy some extra plasterboard.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to review the Hotel and I am grateful for you feedback. It is clear that you were unhappy with your stay with us and I apologise that you left the Hotel with this lasting impression.

Equally I am intriqued to hear of the time at which you completed your review. We do like to be able to follow up on guest feedback, we recently introduced what we call 2nd Effort, it is simply our promise to respond to guest requests within 15 minutes irrespective of the time we receive the request. From time to time incidents do happen which give rise to unruly behaviour within the guest rooms, when brought to our attention we do react swiftly and with resolve.

Bedrooms at the Sunmoon fall into a small number of categories, the entry level bedroom a Queen Bedroom could be best described as good in size, that said the majority of bedrooms here at the hotel are oversized, all bedrooms have been recently refurbished. I can confirm for the benefit of other readers of this review, the hotel does have a small number of bedrooms with adjoining doors, aside from that insulation between walls is generally speaking quite good, we do always encourage guests to keep balcony doors, windows closed and take other common sense measures to mitigate any noise impact.

Car Parking at the Sunmoon is priced at $15 per car for a period of 24 hours, at this time we have no plans to review this pricing, although I do appreciate your opinion on this matter. There are plenty of options locally within the village as you quite rightly indicate but as with all car parks including our own, cars are parked at an owners risk, We do have gated parking which reduces elements of risk.

We do hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again. It would be great to hear from you should that be the case, my telephone number is 08 9245 8000 extension 409.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Michael Cheung

Been to Sunmoon Resort? Share your experiences!