“Slow service and small portions” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Straits Cafe

Straits Cafe
40 The Esplanade | Rendezvous Hotel Perth, Scarborough, Stirling, Western Australia 6019, Australia
+61 8 9340 5746
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 25 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Australian, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Canberra, Australia
“Slow service and small portions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I know that this is a hotel restaurant and I am taking that into account with this review. My family and i had decided to have several rounds of tapas for dinner in the hotel bar but after waiting half an hour for the first round to show up we didnt bother and went over to the restaurant instead.

Initially it was fairly quiet and we got drinks ordered quickly but then it started to fill up and instead of spreading people throughout the room we were all crammed into the one area so we could hear each others conversations. Ambience was crappy and since it was dark and stormy there was no view to speak of.

Once other customers arrived service became quite difficult and slow. We eventually ordered pork, pasta and steak. Given the prices the serving sizes where pathetic. I suspect that my baby potatoes were actually embryo potatoes and my dads rather expensive steak was much smaller than the menu size indicated.

After a prolonged wait at every turn up to get the table cleared we couldnt even ask for the check, we had to go to the till and wait for someone to turn up there.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Basic afternoon tea, nothing high about it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My friend and I had high tea here on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately it was a very disappointing experience. No starched white tablecloths just bare tables. The tea came in plungers with not a teapot in sight. No delicate teacups, rather we had heavy white coffee cups. Choices of tea were very basic with nothing exotic on the menu. Instead of sugar lumps and tongs there were packets. No milk, you had to ask for it. Sandwiches were either cucumber and what tasted like cream cheese all wrapped in plastic. A few basic pastries and hard cold scones with a jar of jam and what tasted like whipped cream from the can in a plastic cup. Chocolate coated strawberries were nice but should have been served chilled not at room temperature.

This was not a great experience. A basic afternoon tea that you would find in any diner does not make a high tea, particularly given the price tag.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Looks 5 star, smells 5 star....taste and service 0 stars”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Service was woeful, we were seated and then waited 15 minutes for water and menus. The restaurant was not even half full at the time. The waitress was rude, the food whilst looked fantastic was terrible. My medium well steak came out rare if not bleu and my gravy was inedible. The wine we ordered with our meal came after we had finished both our entrée and our main so we were already ready to leave.
Breakfast had a good selection and again looked great but was mostly of "bulk" quality and made me sick for the rest of the day. The coffee was probably the worst I have ever had!

Visited September 2013
Perth
“Poor serview, over priced food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Atlantic frozen salmon, grilled but still raw. When I aksed why? The waiter and chef said that is how it is....

Visited August 2013
“Saturday night dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Dinner booked for 7pm we ordered by 7.30, food didn't come for nearly an hour. We mentioned this and the Maitre d gave us a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. When it did come the food was tasty, steak pleasant but nothing special. The chicken, lamb and pork dishes were pleasant, but sides need to be ordered to make the meal complete. The desserts were okay and probably average for the price. Service was patchy, but the new look of the place very en vogue, so if they lift their game, they should have a very good dining venue and experience, far better than the old buffet ever was.

• Visited July 2013