“Horror Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Indian Ocean Hotel

Save Saved
You added Indian Ocean Hotel to your Saves list
Indian Ocean Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Hastings St, Scarborough, Stirling, Western Australia 6019, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Scarborough
South Island
“Horror Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

This hotel is without doubt the worst we have ever stayed in. We were bitterly diassapointed at the travel agent (Discover West) who booked us in here. I am in agreement with another reviewer, demolish this beast of a monstrosity!

Do not stay here if you want peace and quiet, comfort and a decor that is restful, as all the above are the worst you could imagine. The hotel rating on the old delapidated sign that sits above the 5th storey says 3 1/2 stars. Even back in the 70s when it was built, that would have been hard to imagine. We had 2 very unpleasant nights here, fortunately it was the only two of our 3 week trip.

The rusty old air conditioner was louder than the jet engine on the plane we arrived on and I am not exaggerating!! The bar below was more than noisey, it was extremely loud. I could go on for ages.....

What a dump! This hotel is an embarresment to West Australia and the tourist industry as a whole.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I can barely call it a hotel. Was more like a giant, dirty, dorm room with a nightclub outside my window. Music was very loud and often went on until 1 am in the morning. The pool was dirty and I don't even think it could be called a backpackers hotel. The hotel is old, dirty and the staff are unfriendly. Someone had charged their bar account to my room and the staff expected us to pay for it even though we hadn't been to the bar. Staff were very unhelpful in resolving this issue. I would not reccomend this hotel to anybody!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

What a shocker!
I booked due to late airline bookings being sent to me for a business trip and rooms are hard to find in Perth at present with the fly in fly out mining staff unless you want to pay $390+ a night.
I booked on their website which looked OK. I should have known better for the price ($150.00) but the location suited.
From reception on it just got worse. That is after they quoted me 15 rules for staying there as well as leaving my key every time I left the Hotel (I don't think they have any spare keys). Rooms straight out of the early 70's, a shower that had so many patches in it how it did not leak on the room below is amazing. Although they had added a new cheap aircon box in the wall and a cheap flat screen TV the room was shabby. Cleaning was rough to say the least. Three nights, the first quiet but after that the noise from the Pub below my window (I was on the top floor) could only be drowned out by turing on the air conditioner. Do not stay there Thursday, Friday or Saturday night unless you are going to get drunk with all the feral drinkers at the bar and they are feral!!!
Breakfast what a joke. Scrappy dried up bread for toast, a chicken feeder with some cereal, an urn for instant coffee and toasters that must have been bought at a pawnbrokers. Staff that don't care. It would kill them to pick up dirty plates.
Checkout was offhand and just rude. Here is what you owe, give me a credit card and bye. If she had just said did you enjoy your stay would have been polite. Don't complain as I hate to think what would happen?
Cross this off your list. It needs to be demolished to make way for something decent.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in May 2008 for work and had no say in the decision as my client paid for my accomodation. The hotel is so far away from everything else. There's only a couple of restaurants in Scarborough and heaps of backpackers resorts.
To the hotel: simply the worst hotel experience of my life.
The decor has obviously never been changed since the 70's. Old , daggy, smelly, dirty. Room small and disgusting. Alarm clock emitting strange high pitched noises so much so I had to disconnect it at the power point to be able to sleep. Sheets were clean but matress was a massive chunk of dust collection. I found a 20 cent coin under my sheets that had stained the matress and the matress protector. Carpets dirty and dated. Classy (not) wood panelling troughout.
Bathroom was clean and cleaned everyday but the cleaner decided the first morning to move my toothbrush from the sink where I had left it to the top of the toilet water cistern. Yummy.....
The shower alone would be a reason never to return: There's simply no way to adjust the water temperature, the same going from a scalding 50C I assume to a freezing 10C. I actually burnt myself the first night and resigned myself to have cold showers the remaining torturous days. The rate include a continental breakfast: I went down to the pub/bistro/restaurant the first morning to have a look and decided to go to a local cafe' instead. The breakfast consists of sliced toast and jam, the toaster is 40 years old of the type with the belt system that take 20 minutes to toast a single slice and the room just look sad.
Only good thing is the off street secured parking at the back.
I would rate this hotel a 1 star hotel at most. If you can avoid it don't stay here.

• Liked — Off street secured parking
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

booked holiday through Mercury Direct, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

The hotel is more like a pub with a few rooms, the local builders all sit round the pool every afternoon, making lewd comments on whichever poor sole enters into the pool, that is little more than a bath, 5 sun beds round the pool, breakfast bowl of cornflakes, and a piece of toas, live band that shakes the hotel 3 nights a week.
Rooms just passible, cleaniless a lot to be desired.
owner had died, and it appears this hotel is a total caos

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Indian Ocean on the 3rd March 2007. We found it to be in an ideal position for the beaches and a good base to explore Perth.
We stayed in the Hotel 6 years ago and found no problems hence why we decided to stay there again. It does seem a lot more run down now and needs a revamp, the rooms look tired and dated. We stayed for 10 nights and the rooms were not cleaned the whole time we were there, though we did get fresh towels everyday and the bin was emptied. I was dissapointed when we first got to the hotel with the room , it was not the cleanest ( dust everywhere and the balcony was filthy ) but I am not surprised if they only go over it when guests leave.
On the good points though the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, and its a nice area to stay.
One point to note is that if you book a room with a pool view it is very noisy at night, the bar has live bands on four nights a week and the pool area gets very busy with people drinking.

• Liked — Position, close to beaches and the city.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
perth western australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

Staying at the indian ocean hotel was a experiance we would have rather not had . 2 nights away and a dinner party for my partners 50th birthday .3 of 8 meals returned greeted with comments from General Manager "so you do this often" followed by thats just how he cooks it and "oh well" and the food returned "desalted".Accomadtion reasonably priced i did nt expect the ritz but at least clean. We had water running from uptrairs shower through our roof and onto the fluro light dripping on to the floor,apparantly not a saftey issue for the G Manager when brought to his attention.Bathroom walls had water stains from the leak so it had been a ongoing problem. Blankets were very old and well used ,smelly . Dirty socks under the bed from previous guests. curtains were well marked and grubby. Two single beds of unequel height pushed together making a QS bed!!! . We even saw large cockroaches scurrying down the hall way, I assume trying to leave ! This we managed to photogragh. The Do Not Disturb sign was meaningless as they entered to service the room regardless of the sign. All this reported to the G Manager ,but no interest taken . Overall we would not recommend this hotel to any traveller.

Been to Indian Ocean Hotel? Share your experiences!